Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Fake Service Dogs

Fake Service Dogs

Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:40 pm

Service dogs

Emotional support dogs are not service dogs per the ADA and ought not be afforded any privileges on planes. Service dogs must be trained to perform a function. Being a comfort is not a trained activity, but is inherent in dogs.

Given the abuse of service dogs, and the fear of inquiring (one can legally ask what a dog is trained to do), we have a major gap in the law that would balance the rights of the public to not be subject to fraud by a growing group of abusers.

What will likely happen in the near future is someone saying no to a suspect dog and owner, being sued and a court weighing in and providing guidelines.

Certification can be bought online for a dog and there is no central authority for proving validity of such a claim. That is the problem. And the general public likely can't be sued for calling someone out on their fraud, only a business who says no. Most of us have no problem at all with a well trained seeing eye dog for example. But the lies and deception that likely are behind a majority of so called service dogs calls out for a legislative or litigated solution. And to be clear, emotional support while compelling, is not a service dog. I have an emotional support wife. By that criteria, she should be able to fly free to accommodate my fragile self.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by BrianGrant
And to be clear, emotional support while compelling, is not a service dog. I have an emotional support wife. By that criteria, she should be able to fly free to accommodate my fragile self.
This.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond,1.8 MM; AA Gold
Originally Posted by ou81two
The people who whine about these things will whine about people who have a legitimate need for a support animal. Unlike someone who is blind or physically handicapped, serious mental issues aren't visible on the outside.

Unless people are sneaking in dogs who don't apply, the airlines have some very strict guidelines around these sorts of things.

On a side note, again, I'm at 40k miles thus far this year and am yet to see one. Mostly people are here just whining for nothing other than the desire to see themselves type.
I'm at 92,000 this year and I have seen them at least 10 times this year and it's only April. Maybe it's just Delta's hubs that have a higher percentage of those taking advantage of the law. It's gotten out of control with fake ESDs that are clearly not trained. Trained ESDs do not look longingly at, and sniff other passengers burger king bags. The trained animal is easily spotted....
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:10 pm

Deleted

Last edited by brendog; Jun 8, 2015 at 4:33 pm
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
I haven't read through the whole thread, but just wanted to comment that I have been seated next to someone with an "emotional support" animal. The passenger said that flying made her nervous so her doc gave her the precription.

I'm not one to push drugs, but isn't that what valium/xanax/klonipin is for? I had to sacrifice my leg room for a 50+ pound bulldog. Granted, he was cute, but major airlines really need to stop this practice. If there is a medication you can take for the condition, then why the dog? I would happily give up space for a dog that's really needed, but OMG get some damn klonipin.

.. but I suppose that the medication answer would require people to be *gasp* responsible pet owners and either find a friend or a place to board their dog while on vacation.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
... but I suppose that the medication answer would require people to be *gasp* responsible pet owners and either find a friend or a place to board their dog while on vacation.
... to say nothing of the possible difficulties of getting the costs of such medication, as well as the provider visits, covered by health insurance ...

veering toward OMNI-land ...
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After further reflection, I increasingly regard "emotional support animals" as yet more evidence of the general wussification of society.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
After further reflection, I increasingly regard "emotional support animals" as yet more evidence of the general wussification of society.
^
And the automatic response that you should feel sympathy for, and give into the wishes of, anyone with the slightest quirk whether it's justified or not.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jrl767
... to say nothing of the possible difficulties of getting the costs of such medication, as well as the provider visits, covered by health insurance ...

veering toward OMNI-land ...
Nah.. it would have been just as cheap and easy to get 5 bucks worth of klonipin as it would be to get a prescription for an emotional support dog.
Valium and xanax are also dirt cheap.

It's hard to get them prescribed for a lengthy time, but almost anyone can go to a doctor and say that they have to fly, get just enough medication for each way and be done with it. Of course someone with a legitimate problem would probably do just that.. it's the other people that are the issue.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
On one of my latest trans-cons, I observed this rather large poodle .

Sitting across the aisle, I saw no signs of emotional support.

Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:35 am
formerly gohima

Originally Posted by clinspec
I'm at 92,000 this year and I have seen them at least 10 times this year and it's only April. Maybe it's just Delta's hubs that have a higher percentage of those taking advantage of the law. It's gotten out of control with fake ESDs that are clearly not trained. Trained ESDs do not look longingly at, and sniff other passengers burger king bags. The trained animal is easily spotted....
I think it depends on the route.... I flew JFK-LAX-JFK recently and both flight had "service" dogs, both of which seemed to be of the emotional comfort type. One was absolutely massive and made me seriously question why the airlines and the FAA havent tried to limit this type of behavior.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:20 pm

Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by SpewyMcSpew
Dude... was Burgess Meredith on that flight, or Danny DeVito? Or maybe Paul Williams?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I will not go into a rant here but I totally agree. The people with mental disorders should not be on a plane with a 40-70lb animal under no circumstance. Of course true service animals have a place and always rightfully so. But the wussification is worrisome and troubling for our future. I cannot wait for the airlines to put the hammer down on this crap. I have a great dog and love dogs but she does not belong on an airplane under any circumstance. The airlines just need to start an on-board pet fee, $50 per pet for a cleaning fee like hotels. Dr note or not.

Can't wait to bring my comforting pet snake and feed him mice when I get older in 12B LAX-JFK red eye.

Last edited by ZZYZXROAD; Apr 19, 2015 at 8:33 am
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SpewyMcSpew
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Dude... was Burgess Meredith on that flight, or Danny DeVito? Or maybe Paul Williams?
LMAO. Awesome. Burgess Meredith is still my favourite - I guess that I'm old school

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.