Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are car rentals so expensive in Ft Myers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2009, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW PE, UA PE

I'm taking my family to Naples (flying into RSW - Ft Myers). It was supposed to be a cheap mini vacation using FF miles and a buddy's condo. I've been checking car rental rates for the past month and they are outrageous. The cheapest I could find (7/17 12am - 7/21 6am) was $92/day for an economy class car. I've rented Jaguars for half that! My bid for $55 on Priceline for an economy car was rejected.

Is there really that much demand in RSW that they can command those kinds of rates??
Old Jul 14, 2009, 6:09 am

Are you only looking on Priceline? If so, try somewhere else. For instance Orbitz is showing availability for those dates from Alamo, National and Budget in the $60 a day range. Websites for the rental agencies may have better deals.

Originally Posted by nicholas421
Is there really that much demand in RSW that they can command those kinds of rates??
This is about off season as it's possible to get, so inventory of available cars will be very low.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Have you looked in the various car rental fora here for discount codes? Using one of the better known Avis codes for Florida rentals I can see a Full Size car for around $40/day. No mini-vans available from Avis so that's not going to work, but there are a few decent options still out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.