Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Flying with Ruptured Ear Drum?

Old Jul 8, 2009, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this question, but couldn't find anything more appropriate. One of my ear drums ruptured Monday morning and I'm getting conflicting info from the 2 Dr's I saw as to whether or not I can fly Friday night. One said sure and the other said he'd rather I'd postpone it after asking if I could go another time. It's only a weekend trip but I hate to get hit with the $150 change fee on a $264 ticket. I'm having furniture delivered to my future retirement home and I only get there every couple of months.

Has anyone flown with a ruptured ear drum, been told not to fly or been told it's okay? TIA.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
This might be better placed in TravelBuzz so we'll move it there.

Best of luck on your travels, Pat H.

Cholula
OMNI Co-Moderator
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:28 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
If it were me, I wouldn't. Get a medical note from one of the doctors saying you can't fly and let the airline know.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:28 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
This has happened to me a couple of times..... Advice from the doctors was that flying immediately after the burst would not be a problem, as I had a hole in my ear that would allow the passage of air. This advice was framed around a return ticket - I would be OK to go home at once, but not fly out and hope to return in a few days.

The advice once the hole had begun to heal was that I should avoid flying as the change in pressure may well cause it to tear again - causing more damage and possibly scaring and loss of hearing.

So.... if it's more than a day, don't consider it.

Personal tip - if you want to shower, fill your ear with cotton wool and smear liberally with Vaseline to get a watertight seal. Don't use earplugs or anything else that may cause a pressure differential when removed.

Last edited by MAN Pax; Jul 9, 2009 at 2:02 pm Reason: Show/shower... what's the difference??!
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:44 pm

I haven't flown with a ruptured eardrum, but I did have a hole in the eardrum which caused some mild pain for a few days. My ear doc said I would be fine to fly. When I did, my ear ached badly during the flight but afterwards I felt much better and the mild pain went away. Not sure why that was the case, but it probably had something to do with the pressure changes.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

I did go on my trip and didn't have any problems with flying. My ear still does a lot of popping that drives me crazy. I do go back to the Dr's on Friday.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:26 pm

ear help!

i sadly ruptured my eardrum on Thursday, seven days before I needed to fly across country for an important interview. My flight is Friday (two days away).

I also had conflicting advice from doctors about it's okay to fly, vs. definitely do not fly. And I don't know what to do...

Pat, what happened when you went back in? Did it get worse/better. My perforation has already started healing, which adds to the do it/don't do it complex.

thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by earfear
i sadly ruptured my eardrum on Thursday, seven days before I needed to fly across country for an important interview. My flight is Friday (two days away).

I also had conflicting advice from doctors about it's okay to fly, vs. definitely do not fly. And I don't know what to do...

Pat, what happened when you went back in? Did it get worse/better. My perforation has already started healing, which adds to the do it/don't do it complex.

My eardrum was healing and there wasn't any damage from flying. I did suffer a slight hearing loss but that was from the rupture.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by earfear

If there is a hole in your eardrum, there should be no difficulty flying, since the pressure will automatically equalize. The problem is if it has just healed.

Perhaps have your doctor look at it just before you're ready to go. If your eardrum is in bad shape and you absolutely must go, you may want to have an ear doctor put a tube in just for the trip.

(All disclaimers apply. This is not actual medical advice.)
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Resurrecting an old thread. I am in the DR now. I feel pretty confident I ruptured an eardrum jumping into a freshwater lagoon. Have all of the symptoms. Today is Tuesday. Flight back Saturday. Taking Tylenol for pain and seeing if symptoms subside. Aside from that, any other worries? Not sure how to best handle that here.

Thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.