Go Back   > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 5, 09, 5:48 am   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DCA
Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Posts: 22,212
Shortest Flight With International First Class?

Lots of short tag flights out there, eg

HKG-TPE, TG F and CX F
SIN-JKT, LH F
NRT-ICN, KE F and OZ F
ICN-PVG, OZ F

I've flown SGN-BKK in LH F, a whopping 445 miles in which Lufthansa serves a 3-course meal.. offered me an amenity kit and slippers (I just assume they didn't pay attention to who was continuing on to FRA and who wasn't).. and served me two cappucinos.

Any flights offering international F that are shorter in the world than 445 miles?

Last edited by gleff; Jul 5, 09 at 6:01 am
gleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 09, 6:06 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DCA
Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Posts: 22,212
Ooooh. I forgot about GIG-GRU on JJ... 210 miles!

Not an international flight but does offer 3-class F.
gleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 09, 6:23 am   #3
  
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NRT/TPE/HKG/BWI
Programs: UA Plat, CX Diam 1.0MM, DL Nada 1.5MM, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC, TR Diam
Posts: 2,537
Now that these routes have been finally inaugurated (and still technically two separate countries-- PLEASE DON'T START A POLITICS THREAD)

TPE-SHA ~460 mi on CI F. An hour 50 mins.
mjcewl1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 09, 7:20 am   #4
  
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philly
Programs: AA, BA, BD
Posts: 336
BA - BAH-DOH and DOH-BAH - approx 90 miles
fatmac70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 09, 8:45 am   #5
  
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Home: Arlington, VA; Home airports: IAD/DCA/BWI
Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Posts: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmac70 View Post
BA - BAH-DOH and DOH-BAH - approx 90 miles
45 minutes

DOH-BAH also on GF A330/340. I think fatmac70 has found a winner.

* "Excuse me, flight attendant, can you please turn down my bed when we reach cruising altitude?"
* "Please wake me up prior to breakfast being served."
* "Is there an arrivals shower that I can use?"
* "Flight attendant, my IFE isn't working. I'd like to catch a quick episode of the Office."
* Published BA fare is $541 in F, $366 in C round-trip! But then again, you could hire a limo for those prices.
* Now I wonder if anyone in their right mind flies this short flight only. Obviously, this is meant for continuing service to LHR.
* Now I can see someone in BA screwing up, offering some promotion where you fly x segments in Club World or int'l first class and receive some absurdly highly reward. I'll know what to do.


Other short ones:
DXB-BAH on GF and EK A330/340. 1:15 - 303 miles
BAH-AUH on EY A330. 1:10 - 281 miles

Last edited by Wiirachay; Jul 5, 09 at 9:11 am
Wiirachay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 09, 9:08 am   #6
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
  
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN*, HH Gold
Posts: 24,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmac70 View Post
BA - BAH-DOH and DOH-BAH - approx 90 miles
I believe it used to be a popular BA tier point run until the loophole was closed.
NewbieRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 09, 9:13 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Point Place, Wisconsin
Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Posts: 14,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
I believe it used to be a popular BA tier point run until the loophole was closed.
Those were the days !! I enjoyed BahDohBah'ing ...
Rambuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 09, 9:26 am   #8
  
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: California, Dubai
Programs: UA MM/1P, QR Ag, EK Ag, TK E, SPG LifePt, IC Spire/Amb, Hyatt Exp, Shang Jade, Marr Pt
Posts: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiirachay View Post
in C round-trip! But then again, you could hire a limo for those prices.
* Now I wonder if anyone in their right mind flies this short flight only. Obviously, this is meant for continuing service to LHR.
* Now I can see someone in BA screwing up, offering some promotion where you fly x segments in Club World or int'l first class and receive some absurdly highly reward. I'll know what to do.
You couldn't easily hire a limo, as the drive goes through Saudi Arabia, so is not only much longer than the flight, but impractical. (They are planning to build a bridge from Qatar to Bahrain; maybe it will be complete in my lifetime.)

I do fly this from time to time, although not in F. I did fly Etihad F from RUH-AUH a couple of years ago, international configuration, meals, amenity kit, and all. It was a fun way to experience top-level first class for a price similar to what you are quoting for the BA flight (a bit less, actually, if I remember correctly, as I purchased Y and upgraded via an informal cash upgrade -- basically a bribe to the agent, I guess -- at the check-in counter).

These short routes can be good values. For example, Qatar Airways is offering a round-trip F fare from DOH-DXB, less than an hour flight, for QAR 2,900, or about $800, all-in. [Edited: Sorry, I was a bit overzealous in my information before, and the actual price is a bit higher.] Sometimes they run an A340-600 on the route. One gets use of the premium terminal in DOH, including spa, and 32 Q-points (over 10% of the total needed to achieve top-tier status), plus at least 2,000 RDM, so for a semi-mileage run/mini-vacation, it's not the worst use of funds in the world.

Last edited by mecabq; Jul 6, 09 at 6:28 am Reason: Changed erroneous price
mecabq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 09, 10:23 am   #9
  
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Melbourne, FL
Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 262
The shortest one, which I actually took, is AA 900 from MVD to EZE. It is 142 miles. The flight then continues on to MIA.
rogodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 09, 10:42 am   #10
  
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Home: Arlington, VA; Home airports: IAD/DCA/BWI
Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Posts: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecabq View Post
You couldn't easily hire a limo, as the drive goes through Saudi Arabia, so is not only much longer than the flight, but impractical. (They are planning to build a bridge from Qatar to Bahrain; maybe it will be complete in my lifetime.)

I do fly this from time to time, although not in F. I did fly Etihad F from RUH-AUH a couple of years ago, international configuration, meals, amenity kit, and all. It was a fun way to experience top-level first class for a price similar to what you are quoting for the BA flight (a bit less, actually, if I remember correctly, as I purchased Y and upgraded via an informal cash upgrade -- basically a bribe to the agent, I guess -- at the check-in counter).

These short routes can be good values. For example, Qatar Airways is offering a round-trip F fare from DOH-DXB, less than an hour flight, for QAR 2,110, or about $580, all-in. Sometimes they run an A340-600 on the route. One gets use of the premium terminal in DOH, including spa, and 32 Q-points (over 10% of the total needed to achieve top-tier status), plus at least 2,000 RDM, so for a semi-mileage run/mini-vacation, it's not the worst use of funds in the world.
So you bring up a good point about the fact that driving is difficult. Perhaps some people can fly QR just to use the spa.

And I thought it was funny flying MNL-HKG in J back on 2000 in CX. That was 2 hours and 710 miles.
Wiirachay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 09, 11:02 am   #11
  
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Was: YYJ/YYC...Now: YHZ
Posts: 334
While not F, Air Canada does fly its Boeing 767-300's, Airbus A330-300's and Boeing 777-200/300's between YYZ-YUL (usually a repositioning flight, but often with revenue pax on board). Those aircraft have an Int'l J product.

Those flights would cover a grand total of 316 Miles.
Jazzed69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 09, 1:37 pm   #12
  
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philly
Programs: AA, BA, BD
Posts: 336
BA also have AUH-MCT and MCT-AUH - approx 237 miles - over twice as long as BAH-DOH.
fatmac70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 09, 1:51 pm   #13
Moderator, Singapore Airlines, Hilton Honors, Oceania
  
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: hopefully travelling
Programs: up in the air
Posts: 69,745
Here are a few short flights I have taken over the years with international F

708 EZE-SCL LA (LA no longer has F)
626 ZRH-MAN vv SQ (route discontinued)
621 ADD-KRT vv LH (route no longer flown)
549 SIN-CGK vv SQ
501 TPE-HKG CX
438 SYD-MEL vv QF (route no longer has F)
236 AUH-MCT vv BA
185 SIN-KUL vv SQ & MH (route no longer has F)
090 BAH-DOH vv BA
Kiwi Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 09, 5:12 pm   #14
  
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: UA Premier Exec
Posts: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogodwin View Post
The shortest one, which I actually took, is AA 900 from MVD to EZE. It is 142 miles. The flight then continues on to MIA.
United used to fly that route as well. I did it in business class though.
It was funny. After takeoff from EZE, there was an announcement that fumigation would occur by order of the Uruguyan agriculture department or whatever. Then one FA would appear with one spray can of something. She sprayed the floor for about one second --- pssst. That was it. We all got a good laugh from it.
AlanInDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 09, 5:30 pm   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 27,708
The shortest true F (3 cabin) flights I've had were LHR/BRU (UA), LHR/AMS (UA) and GRU/GIG (LA). Each offered a fairly decent spread of food.
Eastbay1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top