Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stand back from the baggage carousel !

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Stand back from the baggage carousel !

In another thread (about minor annoyances) there were a couple of comments about standing back from the carousel (below).

It would be SO much easier for EVERYONE if everyone stood back by about two or three feet until they saw their bag. More people could see the bags coming round, you could nip forward to check on a bag, you could pull your bag off without other people in the way, it would just be GREAT!

I was at LGW(N) recently, there was a blue line, plus announcements and signs asking people to keep trolleys and kids behind the line - a small step but it really worked well, and even seemed to encourage adults to stay back a bit.

Why isn't this implemented and enforced in ALL airports ?

From the other thread:

"...I do find it a bit weird how people have to stand so close to the baggage conveyor belt when you are waiting for the suitcase. And once your suitcase comes along you basically have to fight your way through the wall of people that are lined up. What is wrong with waiting a couple of meters further back? "

"I was always a proponent of standing back. Unfortunately, if you stand back so much as 18", someone will squeeze in directly in front of you and negate whatever benefit you were trying to achieve. Now I stand 24" back, but I have to place my laptop bag on the ground right in front of me to keep people from just standing there. I dream that someday there will be lines drawn 24" out from the carousel indicating people should stand back so people could ignore them"
Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
I have to agree, this drives me crazy, especially parents who let there kids sit/play on the edge of the belt, while it is moving. I have all I can do to not say something, it is so dangerous.

I was just at an airport that had a yellow line and enforced people staying behind it (but for the life of me I can't remember where ).

I travel on business with very several pcs of heavy luggage +50 lbs, and I really need to be near it to get it off the belt (I am vertically challenged ).

A couple weeks ago, a man pushed in front of me to grab bags, his wife saw me trying to get to one of my bags and she said "honey get that bag for that lady", so image his surprise when my small roll-a-board sized bag was + 50 lbs. Boy was he mad! He had a few choice words for me, but if he had just stepped back and waited his turn, I would have been able to retrieve it myself.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:44 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by LongingForORD
when my small roll-a-board sized bag was + 50 lbs
mind telling me what u had inside the roll-a-board? 50lbs is about 23kg!
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:20 pm

Let the hoggers go at it first...

If you have already waited 15 or 20 minutes for the bags to come out, why not just let your bag(s) go around the carousel one extra time, and allow the carousel hoggers to get their bags and get out of the way. The extra trip for the bag around the carousel will not add a whole lot of minutes to your overall time to get out of airport.

Plus the carousel hoggers like to be near the point where the bags first drop onto the carousel, so just pick a spot further away from that initial point; the congestion will be much less.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA BA SW SPG
My husband and I were waiting at the carousel (approx 2-3 feet back) in SFO with our two girls directly behind us. We had many bags, boogie boards, etc. and had sort of a line up so we wouldn't clutter the carousel and could efficiently get our luggage, pass it back and go.

I turned to speak with my daughter for perhaps 10 seconds and imagine my surprise when I turned back and found a man standing directly in front of me. He turned and yelled back to his wife "Here Honey, this is a great spot". He was completely offended when I told him that it was a great spot, because it was my spot and I'd been standing there for quite a while. He literally said "You don't own it!" I felt like I was having a conversation with a six-year-old.

My husband was furious (he's doesn't like when someone disses his wife ) but we let it drop. The man actually stood there for approx. 5 minutes until I think he felt uncomfortable enough to walk away.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
It is a simple geometry problem. The circumference of a circle grows as the radius increases. If we step back a few feet and increase that radius, more people can have a front row view of the carousel!
Old Jun 13, 2009, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
It is a simple geometry problem. The circumference of a circle grows as the radius increases. If we step back a few feet and increase that radius, more people can have a front row view of the carousel!
This won't make enough space to matter.

The real difference is that you need a lot less space to eyeball your bag than you need to retrieve it. If it's heavy and there are a lot of bags on the belt you're going to have to swing it somewhat along the line of motion of the belt and if there's someone beside you it's going to be hard not to clobber them with the bag as you lift it clear.

I have seen the lines and *SOMETIMES* enforcement at international arrivals in SFO.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
I'm so glad the OP posted this subject. I would never have thought about a peeve like this on FT. I would support a line around the carousel as previously mentioned by other posts. That's the smartest thing I've heard regarding baggage claim collection.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Awright new term......Luggage Lice. Same as Gate Lice, they have to be upfront like they wont get their fair share or something.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 6:19 pm

Programs: Independent
I was flying through MCI the other week, and everyone there was up against the already too small luggage carousel. So thought long and hard about this one. There was one lady who had to turn over every last piece of luggage that went by. Somehow she thought she was helping - it only got everything screwed up on the carousel!

But I realized that the problem is, most people have absolutely no idea what their luggage looks like. I have seen people turn over a hundred green bags to try and find theirs - only to end up taking a blue one! They HAVE to stand next to the conveyor just to figure out what bag is theirs.

One thing I think would work - have the section just after the luggage dumps onto the conveyor be for frequent flyers. They can stand a few steps away from the carousel, and identify and quickly take their bags. That leaves fewer bags for the rest of the folk to have to sort through.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Cloudship
One thing I think would work - have the section just after the luggage dumps onto the conveyor be for frequent flyers. They can stand a few steps away from the carousel, and identify and quickly take their bags. That leaves fewer bags for the rest of the folk to have to sort through.
It would end up just like the advanced lane at some TSA checkpoints. I can't count how many travel retarded people I've been behind at those lines. I usually end up going through another much quicker. Often the family line has three or four savvy frequent flyers while the expert line has three dozen folks of questionable self evaluation skills. @:-)
Old Jun 13, 2009, 6:52 pm

Yep, there are a lot of rude people who seem to turn it into a war zone around the carousel. They jostle in when they see their bag and swing it round knocking it into everyone as they go.

For me, getting to the carousel quickly to SPOT my luggage emanates from a fear that someone else will take it. I don't have a need to whip it off the minute I see it, just the fact I can view it is enough. If the line is too thick, I'll wait no problem at all.

I'm interested to know. Has anyone had their luggage taken from the carousel? To be honest, that is a real fear of mine. If someone takes it, there is little recourse apart from relying on one's travel insurance for reimbursement. When flying, I am always compelled to get to that carousel asap but I never impinge upon another persons space.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kimala koala
For me, getting to the carousel quickly to SPOT my luggage emanates from a fear that someone else will take it. I don't have a need to whip it off the minute I see it, just the fact I can view it is enough. If the line is too thick, I'll wait no problem at all.

I'm interested to know. Has anyone had their luggage taken from the carousel? To be honest, that is a real fear of mine. If someone takes it, there is little recourse apart from relying on one's travel insurance for reimbursement. When flying, I am always compelled to get to that carousel asap but I never impinge upon another persons space.
Had a small issue several years ago at LHR, Mom and I are just getting to the belt and see her bag coming around the far side of the belt. We wait for the bag to come around again, lose sight of the bag and it never comes around again. I see someone leaving with a red bag on a trolley, and I send her flying over to look at the red bag, well low and behold it is not hers, but someone had taken her big red bag off the belt, then realized it was not theirs and just left it on the floor. Had a few brief moments of panicked thoughts of a week in London with no clothes.

I actually had someone take one of my bags once, he got all the way home before he opened the bag and realized that my clothes were not his (or so he said, I often wonder what his wife thought ). He had to drive it back to the airport, pick up his luggage and the airline then delivered my luggage back to me.

I am very careful of keeping an eye on all my bags as they come down the belt. Sometime in the thick of people, it is very difficult.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 7:49 pm

I admit I position myself as close as possible to where the luggage comes out. I don't want it to go for another round because I usually cannot see what happens to it on the other side. I don't want anybody to even accidentally take off with it.

I never hustle or push anybody and when I see my bag coming I will warn those around me that I need a little room to lug the monster off the belt. I am usually quite good at making it a minimal intervention. In some cases, rarely, people have not heeded my warning. The bag did bump into them. But I never hurt anybody seriously.

When the bag is heavy, i.e. I need room, and not filled with rather valuable content, I go to a lesser used area at the bend of the belt. But usually the concern for a "lost" bag prevails.

Till
Old Jun 13, 2009, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
A few airports have a slight slope up for the two or three feet closest to the carousel: not enough to interfere with retrieving a bag, but enough to make it subtly uncomfortable to stand there. Solves the problem with no need for rules, no need to ask anyone to do anything, and at negligible cost. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until this becomes universal. (Or, at least, I hope so.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.