Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Any creative (and free) ways to print bp's on the road?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any creative (and free) ways to print bp's on the road?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2009, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA E+, HH Platinum, Marriott Rewards, Budget Fastbreak
Arrow Any creative (and free) ways to print bp's on the road?

Unfortunately most of the hotels that I stay at don't offer free internet/printing in the business centers, and I'm sick of paying $3.00 to $5.00 minimum for the 2 minutes it takes to print a bp.

Anyone got any creative free ways to print them on the road? My problem too is that I usually have early a.m. flights, so printing 24 hours ahead of time could be as early as 0600, so can't go to places like libraries. And even though I always ask, the hotel employees rarely let me print in their office behind the checkin desk anymore.

I've also checked-in on my laptop, then saved the bp as a .pdf, dump the bp to a flashdrive, then print on the hotel PC later. But usually the PC's in the business centers either don't have USB ports or you still have to pay to access the PC anyway.

Thanks
Old May 21, 2009, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do OLCI and then just pick up the BP from a kiosk at the airport later.

Print at a client site (if on the road for work).

Some hotels allow free inbound faxing and at least CO will print your BP to a fax number.

You can always do the OLCI at any point and reprint the BP later so you don't really have to worry about printing at T-24. I'm also not sure why so many people care abotu being checked in at T-24, especially if it means waking up extra early or ratying awake extra late, but that is a whole different thread.
Old May 21, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
+1

As long as you are checked in, it's little additional benefit to actually have the printed BP, since they can be easily and quickly printed at most airport kiosks.
Old May 21, 2009, 4:22 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I save (or "print") my boarding pass to a pdf file, then just fax that to the front desk at the hotel.
Old May 21, 2009, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by MarqFlyer
+1

As long as you are checked in, it's little additional benefit to actually have the printed BP, since they can be easily and quickly printed at most airport kiosks.
I've found that "reprinting" a never-printed BP at the airport can be troublesome if you arrive after the regular check-in time limit.
Old May 21, 2009, 5:59 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by sbm12

Print at a client site (if on the road for work).

Some hotels allow free inbound faxing and at least CO will print your BP to a fax number.

You can always do the OLCI at any point and reprint the BP later so you don't really have to worry about printing at T-24. I'm also not sure why so many people care abotu being checked in at T-24, especially if it means waking up extra early or ratying awake extra late, but that is a whole different thread.
another +1 for olci but also save the bp as a pdf (mac-built in/don't know about windows) as if you ever have any problems with folks saying your are not checked in you have your bp or if you are running late, some airline check-in machines, adhere to the 30/45 minute check-in rule and you can't re-print (if that happens find an agent asap)
Old May 21, 2009, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GM, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Windows - PDFCreator

Originally Posted by goalie
another +1 for olci but also save the bp as a pdf (mac-built in/don't know about windows) as if you ever have any problems with folks saying your are not checked in you have your bp or if you are running late, some airline check-in machines, adhere to the 30/45 minute check-in rule and you can't re-print (if that happens find an agent asap)
There isn't a built-in method to save PDFs in Windows, but there is a nice free program I like -- PDFCreator.
Old May 21, 2009, 9:38 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I've never had a problem asking the concierge to "check in" and print boarding passes. That takes care of upscale hotels. Other than that, many of the lower end properties in which I stay often have some sort of "free" set up to check email or print BPs.
Old May 21, 2009, 10:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by I2uss
There isn't a built-in method to save PDFs in Windows, but there is a nice free program I like -- PDFCreator.
I like Cutepdf (http://www.cutepdf.com/)
Old May 21, 2009, 11:06 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by TMOliver
I've never had a problem asking the concierge to "check in" and print boarding passes. That takes care of upscale hotels. Other than that, many of the lower end properties in which I stay often have some sort of "free" set up to check email or print BPs.
This has also been my experience.
Old May 22, 2009, 7:20 am

I was at the Hyatt Regency Chicago last week and they've set-up an handy system for guest to check-in for their flights. They have 2 PCs, each with a quality printer, in the main loby next to the concierge desk. The PC's homepages are set to a webpage showing links to all the airlines online check-in pages. I was done in 30 seconds, free of charge.
Old May 22, 2009, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by UAORDFLYER
I've also checked-in on my laptop, then saved the bp as a .pdf, dump the bp to a flashdrive, then print on the hotel PC later. But usually the PC's in the business centers either don't have USB ports or you still have to pay to access the PC anyway.
Print to PDF and E-mail to my junk personal e-mail address - can then print at any computer that has internet access (rather than crawling and looking for USB ports).
Old May 22, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nigelloring
I've found that "reprinting" a never-printed BP at the airport can be troublesome if you arrive after the regular check-in time limit.
Interesting - I have had the opposite experience. I arrived very late and was printing at the kiosk. While I was waiting for the BP to spit out, I asked the agent behind the counter if this was a problem, and he replied "if you're checked in, you're checked in." Maybe airline specific? My experience was on NW.
Old May 22, 2009, 7:49 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TMOliver
But wouldn't you then be expected to tip the concierge? And since the OP mentioned he doesn't want to pay a few bucks for using the business center, I don't think he'd be happy to tip the concierge instead. I know I wouldn't be satisfied...

HTB.

Last edited by htb; May 22, 2009 at 7:57 am
Old May 22, 2009, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Go to the nearest Hilton property and use the checkin computer in the main lobby. Just need to look like you belong.

Otherwise, I use the fax option if available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.