Woman's Purse -- counted as a carry-on.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman's Purse -- counted as a carry-on.

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2009, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Woman's Purse -- counted as a carry-on.

Since when did your purse get counted as a carry On?
Old May 11, 2009, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by tlhanger
Since when did your purse get counted as a carry On?
Most of the airlines carry on policy states one bag (max 45" diameter) and one personal item (such as a purse, briefcase, computer bag or small backpack). That's actually been the policy for a long time, now the airlines are just reinforcing it. Too many people trying to bring 2 large bags and then stuffing everything in the overhead bins.
Old May 11, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
It's always been one of the "carry-on plus personal item" combination. I bring a traditional rollaboard plus a computer backpack, and make sure my purse fits in one or the other. The computer backpack goes under the seat in front of me.

Late last year I bought a small leather purse that goes on a thin strap around my neck for essentials- $$, credit cards, folded-up BP, iPod- and have started leaving the purse at home. It saves a lot of room and is easy to squeeze back into my backpack before boarding or going through TSA lines.
Old May 11, 2009, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Most of the airlines carry on policy states one bag (max 45" diameter) and one personal item (such as a purse, briefcase, computer bag or small backpack). That's actually been the policy for a long time, now the airlines are just reinforcing it. Too many people trying to bring 2 large bags and then stuffing everything in the overhead bins.
Exactly, that's it.

I actually think it is correct to enforce it like that. For women, I would advise to use one roller bag as main luggage and one computer tote as personal item. The computer tote is big enough to hold the laptop, office stuff AND a lady's purse with personal items. I gave such a tote (Samsonite, black shiny nylon and leather, looks very stylish and is very functional) to my GF. She uses it almost every day and for travel.

Till
Old May 11, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
What difference does it make? if you have a purse, a computer bag, and a rollaboard before security, put the purse in the computer bag to clear security, you still have three items at the gate. That makes me feel SOOO much safer.
Old May 11, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by Night Owl
What difference does it make? if you have a purse, a computer bag, and a rollaboard before security, put the purse in the computer bag to clear security, you still have three items at the gate. That makes me feel SOOO much safer.
The gate agents can still make you check something or consolidate it all back into two pieces. One point is that you are allowed two carry-ons and that is the space you are allocated inside the cabin. You may be able to put two pieces under the seat in front, or not. I have seen women with a carry-on, computer bag and a purse the size of a backpack.

You are assuming that every person carries a small enough purse that will fit into something else. Not always the case!
Old May 12, 2009, 12:23 am

It's not a matter of safety. It's a matter of space in the overhead bins, which then becomes a matter of safety, when they are full and stuff clutters the cabin. It is certainly also a matter of weight and fuel consumption as witnessed by the weight limit on hand luggage imposed by many airlines.

Till
Old May 12, 2009, 1:36 am

Location: Usually on a ship looking for oil and gas; Uruguay, Malaysia, Turkey, Nigeria, Libya, Egypt, Norway, Scotland, India, Congo & Angola, next project who knows? Agreed to CC rules
Programs: AC Altitude E75K/*G, AS MVP, AF/KLM Petroleum Club, BA Blue
I've seen many women's purses that are much bigger than my personal item which is a small laptop bag which contains an ultralight laptop, laptop power charger, travel docs, ipod, sudoko book, pens and pencils. If you can fit your purse into your personal item bag, then fine, if not it should count.
Old May 12, 2009, 5:29 am

In Europe - especially with the low costs airlines and doubly especially with Ryanair they have one carry-on item only.

And that really does mean one, not one plus a purse plus a daypack plus a bag of food plus a bag of books & magazines plus your duty free ciggies, booze & smellies...

And this is enforced at the gate where anything that gets gate-checked will cost the passenger €30 / Ł30
Old May 20, 2009, 4:59 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Not a matter of safety - its more a matter of space and getting the flight out on time. Also, TSA is big on fewer bags because it is less for them to screen and their lines move faster - less bad PR about slow moving lines. Lastly, they fine airlines that cannot follow the rules
Old May 20, 2009, 9:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
You are assuming that every person carries a small enough purse that will fit into something else. Not always the case!
Well, if you must carry a large purse, a computer bag and a rollaboard, be prepared to check your rolling bag.

As a frequent traveler I have learned that I better be able to stuff my purse inside my computer bag if I dont want to have to check my rolling bag. I don't carry an itty bitty purse but it is much smaller than the gigantic satchels that are very in style right now.
Old May 20, 2009, 9:32 am

I always put my purse in my backpack so I have a rollaboard + backpack.
Old May 20, 2009, 1:04 pm

purse is a personal item...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.