Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How can you protect yourself if your record locator is “compromised” ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

A friend of mine ( not me, really) is a vlogger and recently posted a video online showing his flight reservation and name and record locator number. “Look what I booked everybody!” Stupid stuff. Flight is on Emirates at Christmas time.

This means that any of his online fans and /or haters can now log in, or call in, and change the flights, cancel the tickets, change his contact info, etc. If someone were vindictive, they would probably wait until the last minute before his flight to do that.

What can my idiot friend do now to protect himself? Will airlines change the record locator number if you ask? Will they freeze future changes or disable online access? Anything else he should do other than watch he reservation like a hawk for changes?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Some airlines will let you "lock" a PNR if you call in. Changing it generally means creating wholly new booking so that's unlikely to be easy.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
And of course hopefully your friend has taken down (or edited) the video to at least stop the bleeding!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jphripjah
A friend of mine ( not me, really) is a vlogger and recently posted a video online showing his flight reservation and name and record locator number. “Look what I booked everybody!” Stupid stuff. Flight is on Emirates at Christmas time.

This means that any of his online fans and /or haters can now log in, or call in, and change the flights, cancel the tickets, change his contact info, etc. If someone were vindictive, they would probably wait until the last minute before his flight to do that.

What can my idiot friend do now to protect himself? Will airlines change the record locator number if you ask? Will they freeze future changes or disable online access? Anything else he should do other than watch he reservation like a hawk for changes?
PNRs in some systems at least can be set for limited access of some sort, but it's a pretty certain bet that most PNRs can be subject to modification of various sorts once the last name and record locator are in hand of someone with an intent to change the PNR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.