Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Reputation of United Airlines - Are they really that bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reputation of United Airlines - Are they really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2009, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I have met far more excellent UA employees than horrible ones and fondly recall being an enthusiast for how well they treated their 1Ks... but it seems the airline nosedived in service after 9/11/01.

I used to be a 1K, but I left UA in 2007 over occassionally hostile, malevolent employees. With about 35,000 miles in the middle of the year, with plans to requal at Premier Exec level, it finally hit me: UA is so not worth it. Fortunately, DL had a status match program, and a couple of tastes of free unlimited transcontinental upgrades on DL (with superior, non-union FA service) was enough to make me switch. I am now Platinum on DL and have never looked back.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:23 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
I'll try to stay on topic. Many years ago, I tried to keep my UA Mileage Plus active by flying with the carrier. Unfortunately, as far as ten years ago, I really noticed that UA service was like a pendulum, swinging from inconsistent to consistently bad. I flew UA less and less over the years because of their poor service. The combination of many things about UA service had left me being pissed at the end of the flight. UA's poor FAs noticed that and felt apologetic every time I leave their a/c. Compared to other US carriers, AA as I remembered was quite dreadful and DL has slipped considerably. US is perhaps the worse of these legacy carriers. CO is probably the best of the legacy carriers and has a fairly consistent service product overall. While I can agree with others that unless you have status with UA, the service can be slipshod at best, I am still hard pressed to maintain my mileage with UA or even get credit on some recent flights, when I have invested many more miles elsewhere on other carriers. I have been more impressed with the service on some US low cost carriers such as VX, whose fares are even lower than fares offered by UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.