Search

First ever missed flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
First ever missed flight

Was to fly LAX-BOS, UA 162 4/11 (8:40am departure). Due to this and that, we got to LAX late. They paged us while going through security, but there is no way to return the page! We showed up at the gate at 8:33. Door was closed, jetway was still connected. I sheepishly pleaded with the gate agent. (Flight was not full).

We asked for a SD, but she came after the jetway disconnected. They put us on new flights, and they were apologetic (though it is WE who are in the wrong). We'll now get to BOS at 8:30.

What's sad is that I was to lead a family Seder tonight.

I am usually a stickler for being at the airport over an hour in advance. But my one time late, I got burned. Actually, let me rephrase... I burned myself!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The closest I ever cam to missing a flight was about 20 years ago. I was flying to a friend's wedding (BOS-RDU). I got to the gate with plenty of time to spare. While waiting at the gate, I was watching the NCAA tournament - my two alma maters were playing each other. Next thing I know, I turn around and they're closing the door! I jumped up and got their attention to hold it for me. Lesson learned - always pay attention.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1P
Can they hold dinner for you and do a late dinner? I suppose they re-routed you LAX-DEN-BOS?

The closest I ever came to missing a flight was when I was trying to fly PHX-SFO. I left my conference in Scottsdale,AZ (ritzy northeast section of Phoeniz). Well we went to get on the freeway, and the entire freeway had been shut down for construction that was apparently going to take place starting that weekend. No construction crews were in sight though!

It ended p that we had to take surface streets all the way back to the airport. I lept out of the car, I begged a counter agent to print me a BP since i was past the kiosk cut-off time, I tipped (bribed?) the person at the security line to let me cut to the front, and sprinted to my gate. I was the last to board just as the lady was turning to close the jetbridge door.

There were two other people up in the aisle on the plane when I boarded both talking about how "What kind of city shuts down a freeway in advance for construction during the week?", etc.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Happens to all of us.

2 missed flights on the LAX-OAK route on WN (due to traffic)... doesn't count as missed flights, just early for the next flight.

1 missed flight from DCA to SFO. Was supposed to fly on NW DCA-MSP-SFO. SDC'ed to DL metal DCA-NYC-SFO (very early-morning flt). Got to the gate at DCA 90 sec after the gate was closed with the plane/jetway attached. DL flights thru ATL were oversold due to WX the night before. Couldn't do my original routing because the flight was under airport control and in another terminal.

Got put on DCA-JFK-SFO with a 6-hour later arrival time. DCA-JFK was oversold, so I grabbed my $200 in vouchers, got on a DL Shuttle flight to LGA which arrived earlier than the JFK flight. Went to a friend's place. My JFK-SFO upgrade cleared.

Last edited by Palal; Apr 11, 2009 at 4:41 pm
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:46 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've missed flights before.

About 25% of my flights are "close calls". You just need to have a backup plan always in mind.

p.s. Two years ago, on the night of the first Seder, I misconnected in HKG (thanks to HKG station staff-- some of the worst in the world), so I feel your pain. That one wasn't my fault, so I was especially pissed.

DCA is about the worst, because they like to close the door at T-20 so long as most passengers are on board; even this 1K traveling on an FPASSA fare was scolded for getting to the gate at T-17. I'd complain, but the CoC does have a 20-minute rule, so I just consider it lousy customer service and leave it at that. My other UA stations follow UA's general policy which seems to be between T-5 and T-10 for closing a flight.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I overslept and missed by NZ HKG-LHR flight last September--and had to pay the difference between my fare and the essentially walk-up fare for the the next day's flight + a 1000 HKD change fee. I learned my lesson: I am sure you have too. I am sure you will be missed tonight.

Last edited by MatthewLAX; Apr 11, 2009 at 11:21 pm
Old Apr 11, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
That's funny, I missed my first ever flight yesterday. It was a NW ticket and I ended up only an hour later than scheduled (though I lost my confirmed upgrades )
Old Apr 11, 2009, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Like most of you guys, I'm punctual getting to the airport - I've seen it all.

HOWEVER, two thanksgivings ago, I drove to my mom's house, spent the night in anticipation of getting up early Sunday morning and flying to Hawaii with her (and meeting my sister and her friend on the way)...

So... I don't hear the alarm go off. I get up about 30 min before the flight is scheduled to leave. Mind you, this is the Sunday before Thanksgiving, and I'm supposed to fly to Hawaii.

Mom and I rush around and get dressed, and I'm on the phone with United trying to come up with something. There is a later set of flights, but it only has a few coach seats left and no award seats. I tell them it's my fault and I'll pay double miles to get those two seats.

No problem on the outbound. But my return, which I still hold two seats, has NO seats left to sell. They can't figure out how to get me two standard award seats AND re-use the saver award seats I already have on the return.

So, by this time we're driving to the airport (we slept through or scheduled van pickup). While on the way to the airport - United - all on their own - opened up two more award seats for my mom and I to go to Hawaii. Not only that, we got exit row seats and had no one else in our row - lots of room and a seat free between us. We got to sleep (OK - oversleep) an extra two hours, got there about 3 hours late and had a wonderful trip.

Doesn't always work out this well, but it keeps you loyal, for sure...

Billy
Old Apr 11, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Many years ago (~ 80's) I missed a CO flt while sitting in at the gate. Got engaged in reading material and went into a world of my own. This was before the emphasis of being on board early. When I noticed I was getting close, I was lulled into thinking I had more time due to an erroneous airport clock which was off by 10 mins. Next thing I knew the jet has pushed and the GAs were telling me the miss was my fault. I whined about the bad clock. They took pity and I was on the next available, with no xtra fees, etc. All my bad, but never repeated....
Old Apr 11, 2009, 2:46 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this interesting thread's developed, it's covered carriers beyond UA, so let's follow it in TravelBuzz. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United and TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The closest I ever cam to missing a flight was about 20 years ago. I was flying to a friend's wedding (BOS-RDU). I got to the gate with plenty of time to spare. While waiting at the gate, I was watching the NCAA tournament - my two alma maters were playing each other. Next thing I know, I turn around and they're closing the door! I jumped up and got their attention to hold it for me. Lesson learned - always pay attention.
I smiled at this, given that you're obviously such an experienced traveller, at least now Not that long ago I arrived at the gate for a departure far enough in advance that the previous flight was still boarding. I knew there were power outlets and figured I'd just charge up and get some work done. I watched a woman sit there reading while they did final call on the departure; I figured she must be on my flight. Well she was on the one that was leaving, got left off, and then was hassling the GA about lack of annoucements. But I'd heard plenty of announcements including the final "all ticketed and confirmed passengers board now!". I wondered who could be so naive as to sit there through their departure.

Guess it happens
Old Apr 11, 2009, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I've missed two flights, both in the 1980s.

1. We left the carry-on bag with tickets (for you youngsters, you had to have tickets printed on paper in the olden days! ) in the living room. We both thought the other had the bag. Two full-fare F paid tickets....got the check-in at T-10 mins, but no luck! My bad!

2. Partied one weekend in LA while in college. The whole weekend. Checked in on time. Got to the gate on time. And passed out while sitting at the gate. Woke up about T+60! My real bad.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:49 pm

I missed a connection in ORD on a EWR-ORD-LAX flight. My flight from EWR-ORD was delayed due to a thunderstorm in Newark. Of course, the weather was fine in Chicago so my ORD-LAX flight left on time. Had to wait 6 hours in Chicago for the next ORD-LAX flight with seats.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
The only flight I've missed (knocks heavily on wood) was one when I was about 18 (a long time ago..lol). I was in San Diego. Had a carry-on, I carried it on the entire trip and at the time, I was going home. Security person told me my bag was too large so I would have to go back and check it. I had nothing status-wise with Continental so stood in a line over 2 hours. My plane left without me.

I got home (can't remember how except a vague recollection of trying to bribe someone in Denver..) but swore I would never fly CO again (even though it wasn't their fault). NEVER!!!!!!!! Haha.

I am Plat on CO today.

Last edited by Flyer_70; Apr 26, 2009 at 12:42 am
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:35 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
I routinely miss flights. I like to cut it close, and my miss percentage is actually a lot lower than it should be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.