Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

getting out to aisle from window seat in y, c, and f

Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club

i was in f on a pdx to iad flight friday and had a window seat. i had to get up to use the lav twice during the flight and felt really bad because the guy sitting in the aisle had to get up because there was not enough space for me to get out without him getting up.

does that make anyone on here angry who sits in the aisle and has to get up to let the window person out? is two times on that flight considered an acceptable amount or is it excessive? (the fa just kept pouring water in my cup, and i kept drinking it)

it also brings up a question that was brought up in the movie fight club. if the person in the aisle sits there, is it more appropriate to give them the front or the back?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 12:59 am

I don't think that's excessive. Portland to Washington DC is a flight of several hours. Anyway, better to visit the lavatory than sit and squirm, or worse!

I always sit on the aisle if I can, and I don't think I've ever been irritated at having to get up for someone to get past me. (Certainly not irritated with them, possibly irritated at the cramped conditions of aeroplanes, but that's different.)

There are advantages and disadvantages in sitting on the aisle vs next to the window. One of the advantages of sitting on the aisle is that one can get up easily out one's seat. One of the disadvantages is that one has to get up sometimes so other passengers can get past. I think it's no big deal.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 1:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I always request an aisle seat, and generally speaking am not disturbed when the center or window passenger needs to use the lav. If anything, it's an excuse for me to get up and stretch my legs.

There are a few situations that do bother me: when someone wants to use the lav soon after take off or soon before landing while the Fasten Seatbelt sign is still turned on. I don't like the fact that they are out of their seat near me, and that I am forced to unbuckle and stand up myself. The other situation is in the middle of meal service when my tray table is down and full of food.

I realize that these situations are usually caused by novice travelers who aren't used to the notion that there may easily be an hour-long periods when you can't use the bathroom conveniently (around takeoff, landing, and mealtime) and fail to plan accordingly. I understand - normally, we're all in a position where we just wait until we have to go and then almost always can find a bathroom right then.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:16 am

Programs: BA GfL
I only sit in aisle seats and it really doesn't bother me to get up to let the window/middle people out. As Christopher said, it's a trade-off: you get to get up whenever you want, at the cost of having to get up to let others out.

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
if the person in the aisle sits there, is it more appropriate to give them the front or the back?
The front or the back of what?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
I always request an aisle seat, and generally speaking am not disturbed when the center or window passenger needs to use the lav. If anything, it's an excuse for me to get up and stretch my legs.
Exactly how I see it... I know if I have a window seat, I appreciate it when the aisle passenger gets up for me.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by travelmad478
The front or the back of what?
I think the situation here is if there is room (assuming F or C) to remain seated and let the window passenger through is it more polite to present their "backside" or, um, their "frontside" to isle persons face as they pass through......
Old Apr 5, 2009, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I always sit in an aisle seat, and also always deploy my laptop and iGo power supply, creating a bit of a tangle of cords, etc. Because of this, I'm always very aware of my responsibility to allow my seat neighbor quick access to the aisle - I route the cable so that they can easily be unplugged to let the window pax out.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
My worthless opinion (or maybe it is worth USD 0.02).

You should try hard not to get up when the seat belt sign is on.
You should try hard not to get up during meal service time.
Do not wait too long before getting up to use the lav when needed; the seat belt sign might come back on and for a long time.
You should not wait until the end of the movie to use the lav.
Try to do everything you need yourself, then ask for help including from the flight attendant if needed.
If you are in the middle section of a 2 aisle airplane and there are an equal number of people on each side, do not always get out on the same side.

More worthless info: http://www.cockam.com/travel.htm
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:09 am
Suspended

i do sit in aisles and im ok with people needing to use the bathroom but i just wish they wouldn't be like the previous guy on my AA flight who felt the need to punch my arm till its swollen to ask me to let him go to the bathroom.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Originally Posted by zombietraveller
i who felt the need to punch my arm till its swollen to ask me to let him go to the bathroom.
Flying as(you complete this word)
Should have been resolved in front of as many as needed one at a time in the following order:
1. The nearest FA
2. The head FA (purser)
3. The captain
4. A law enforcement officer.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:18 pm

I feel not the least bit bothered. It's good to get up. I always get out of my seat to let people in and out. Otherwise it's just too crammed.

The backside/frontside question is a good one. The general rule is that it is impolite to show the backside. BUT there are two reasons this might be viewed differently a) in the USA and b) on an airplane.

a) In the USA there is a certain prudish, puritan culture where the frontside is sexually connotated very strongly and people might feel awkward. They might prefer to have their face in your backside than in your crotch.

b) On airplanes and other situations where there is really not much space, it is safer and uses less space to present them your backside and slide in while holding (not yanking) the seat in front of you. Going in forward in coach almost certainly means you will fall over and that is even more embarrassing.

So in F it would be the frontside method and in C the backside.

I do appreciate it when people get up for me and always do the same for them. In F it might not be necessary, though.

Allan's tip to not always bother the same person when you are in the middle section is a good one. I rarely have to fly in the middle section but have never thought of that before. Thanks.

Till
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:24 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i am an aisle person and i will always (n.b. always) stand up and get of the way to allow a m/w pax to get out and i do it for 2 reasons....
  1. i think it's the polite thing to do as there is no reason for the pax to try and become a contortionist
  2. with my evil ter'wrist orthopedic shoe 'n orthotic left ankle, the last thing i would need is the aforementioned contortionist doing a number on my ankle as they contortioned over me
Old Apr 6, 2009, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
i am an aisle person and i will always (n.b. always) stand up and get of the way to allow a m/w pax to get out and i do it for 2 reasons....
  1. i think it's the polite thing to do as there is no reason for the pax to try and become a contortionist
Exactly! It's amazing what a little common courtesy can do. It ends up being easier for both parties involved...
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
On two different flights I was seated in 2F (on US, so you know there's no room to move) and both time my aisle seatmates refused to get up when I had to use the restroom. In fact, they seemed quite bothered that I dared ask them to let me out. In return, I gave them my big Greek a$$. I also made every effort to get up several times on each flight just for fun. Eventually, the female seatmate got a clue and got up. The male, however, did not. It has been said here ad nauseam, but I will say it again: being in F does not mean one has class (said the woman who put her hiney in some strangers' faces...).
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:02 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by honeytoes
In fact, they seemed quite bothered that I dared ask them to let me out. In return, I gave them my big Greek a$$. I also made every effort to get up several times on each flight just for fun. Eventually, the female seatmate got a clue and got up. The male, however, did not. It has been said here ad nauseam, but I will say it again: being in F does not mean one has class (said the woman who put her hiney in some strangers' faces...).
Sounds like everyone involved showed little class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.