Go Back   > >

Old Feb 14, 09, 12:48 am   #1
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2MM
the etiquette of reclination....

So today, in F on an A320, 2A, the fellow in 1A suddenly reclined, then brought his seat forward. Then whipped into recline mode......then forward to look out the window. Then.....slammed into recline....

And all this time I was falling asleep, then awake with my knees aching, then asleep...then,...well, you get the picture. Being 6-5, F on UA domestic isn't exactly cushy. So, I'm very conscious of 'recline rate'. I try, no matter what flight or class, to always recline slowly, so whoever is behind me can adjust to my intrusion in their space. Do other FT members consciously do the same?

(mmm 15H on the old config 747)
Old Feb 14, 09, 12:56 am   #2

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Wirelessly posted (xx: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.133 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I definitely recline slowly so as to give people behind me time to adjust
Old Feb 14, 09, 1:12 am   #3

Programs: United 1P, Hilton Gold (Maybe?), Hyatt Platinum (Does that mean anything?)
I think it's classy to ask the passenger behind you if it's okay to recline - and, never recline during mealtimes.
Old Feb 14, 09, 1:28 am   #4

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
I rarely ask and have rarely been asked about reclining but it's a seat function just like a light or air vent that's there for your comfort. It would be better if the seat had a damper to prevent it being slammed in either direction, but since they don't folks should be cognizant of sudden movements. If someone in front of me or even next to becomes a PITA with their seat, I'd politely ask them to take it a little easier when changing the seat positions.
Old Feb 14, 09, 1:36 am   #5

Programs: Some, not all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanHam View Post
I think it's classy to ask the passenger behind you if it's okay to recline - and, never recline during mealtimes.
And if they say no?

I agree with the OP that a slow recline is courteous, but with the United seat function lottery*, that's not always possible

*Lottery prizes include: no recline, auto recline, rapid recline, and the grand prize: A seat that works!
Old Feb 14, 09, 3:47 am   #6

Programs: UA 1P, HH DMD, SPG PLT, Hertz 5*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlasser View Post
I rarely ask and have rarely been asked about reclining but it's a seat function just like a light or air vent that's there for your comfort. It would be better if the seat had a damper to prevent it being slammed in either direction, but since they don't folks should be cognizant of sudden movements. If someone in front of me or even next to becomes a PITA with their seat, I'd politely ask them to take it a little easier when changing the seat positions.
+1

As much as I hate it when the person in front of me reclines, I like to recline on occasion, so I can't get upset when others do it. However, if they are being aggressive or frequent with their seat reclines, I will ask them to be a little more considerate of my knees. Likewise, I have no problem saying something to the parent of the child behind me who insists on kicking the back of my seat.
Old Feb 14, 09, 4:37 am   #7
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Plebe, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Quote:
Originally Posted by treyrox View Post
Wirelessly posted (xx: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.133 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I definitely recline slowly so as to give people behind me time to adjust
and the same here (and especially if riding in "the village" as having had it happen to me, it ain't phun if you have a drink on your tray table (and besides, the seat isn't some amusement park ride as the op described-it's just a little bit of common sense 'n couretsy <grrrr>).

Quote:
i agree about during meal times and fear not if you are behind me as i can't eat reclining (except during the passover seder )
Old Feb 14, 09, 7:29 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21H21J View Post
And if they say no?

I agree with the OP that a slow recline is courteous, but with the United seat function lottery*, that's not always possible

*Lottery prizes include: no recline, auto recline, rapid recline, and the grand prize: A seat that works!
I think you forgot about the seat that reclines, but won't go back to the upright position, at least without a strong push from the side or back. I assume its a special accomplishment to get one of these if you are already "lucky" enough to be in a middle seat.
Old Feb 14, 09, 7:38 am   #9

Programs: UA 1K
I always have these nightmares about someone in front of me reclining quickly and snapping my laptop screen off. If I am working, I will often just politely ask the person in front of me to give me a heads up before they slam their seat back. Everyone I have asked has always been pleasant about it, and I haven't lost a laptop yet !
Old Feb 14, 09, 7:48 am   #10

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc98110 View Post
So today, in F on an A320, 2A..
You were in F and your knees hurt when your frontman reclines ?

Sounds more like you chose an unsuitable resting position.
Quote:
In F ???
I never recline during meals in Y ... but in F? It really, really should not matter.
Old Feb 14, 09, 7:54 am   #11

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
I think you forgot about the seat that reclines, but won't go back to the upright position, at least without a strong push from the side or back. I assume its a special accomplishment to get one of these if you are already "lucky" enough to be in a middle seat.
Agreed. Not that uncommon both in domestic F (happened to us earlier this week) and we've had at least three such "non-uprightable" experiences UD 744 15A, making us wonder if we're riding the same plane over and over. Maybe worn out because it's such a popular seat?

Cheers,
Fredd
Old Feb 14, 09, 8:04 am   #12

Programs: UA 1K
Quote:
Originally Posted by weero View Post
Y
In F ???
I never recline during meals in Y ... but in F? It really, really should not matter.
The difference in pitch is sometimes only an inch or two .... it doesn't bother me, but I can see how it could some
Old Feb 14, 09, 8:29 am   #13

Programs: UA,SPG
They have control of the seat....you have control of the air vent for your seat, which oddly enough if placed to its full fwd position and turned to max flow blows right on a fully reclined seat. They turn around and complain tell them if they put their seat up a couple of inches it shouldn't bother them.
Old Feb 14, 09, 8:39 am   #14

Programs: UA 1P, AA, LH Cattle Class, SPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoah1596 View Post
They have control of the seat....you have control of the air vent for your seat, which oddly enough if placed to its full fwd position and turned to max flow blows right on a fully reclined seat. They turn around and complain tell them if they put their seat up a couple of inches it shouldn't bother them.
That's real classy. Sorry, but they paid for the seat, if they would like to recline back (slowly, of course) that's what they paid for. We're all stuck in the same tube here, let's keep it civil.
Old Feb 14, 09, 8:41 am   #15

Programs: AS MVPG
I'm 6'4", so I'm very aware of my reclining rate, but from my experience shorter people usually recline faster, maybe not aware that people's knees are that close to the back of their seat, due to the fact that their own knees are comfortably away from the seat in front of them.....Only expection to that rule I've seen is when there is a larger person (height + weight), and it seems that they aren't able to control the rate of recline, due to their own mass.