Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If you had unlimited funds for a dream "round the world" trip...

Old Feb 7, 2009, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, M&M, PC PlatAmb, Marriott, SPG

...what airlines would you fly, and in what class? (edit: yes, I forgot a "d" in the title) Mod Fixed your title.

Couldn't really think of any better part of the forum to ask this question, so you will find it here in travel buzz.

So, if you had unlimited funds, and loved flying, and had all the money in the world to fly on any gives airline so as to do a round-the-world trip (or two, or three, or ten!), how would you plan it out?

Would you start off in JFK with a flight on BA First to LHR, take a flight on SQ Suite to Singapore, continue on with Qantas Suite to Sydney, etc... etc...

Curious to hear how you guys and girls would plan your trip, in order to maximize "in air" time, and by flying the most airlines in their best class of cabin, of the longest time possible

Last edited by obscure2k; Feb 7, 2009 at 8:22 pm
Old Feb 7, 2009, 5:02 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Always be Fs really, probably on A380s too, are we talking complete freedom (ie. can go backwards) or does this have to be a realistic rtw ticket, because I'd love to do NZ but can't pass up an A380 F cabin TPAC.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
To be honest, if I had unlimited funds, then I wouldn't fly commercial airlines.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 5:47 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
If I had to, it'd be in F. Probably with *A carriers.. Most likely whenever possible with SQ, LH, NH,or TG. Continental USA would be with United/Continental, Canada with Air Canada, Asian with SQ, NH, or TG, Europe with LH, Africa with SQ/South African, Oceania with OZ.. Just to name a few..
Old Feb 7, 2009, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by kkjay77
To be honest, if I had unlimited funds, then I wouldn't fly commercial airlines.
correct. i am not well versed in the aircraft field but i do fly on a gulfstream IV quite frequently. i use it for fll-las alot and have flown to europe on it. i have been on some other private jets but the g iv is all i would need for worldly jaunts....
Old Feb 7, 2009, 6:15 pm

Emirates first class A380

I'd probably fly KLM too, just because I've always wanted to.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 8:14 pm

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Originally Posted by Lowender1234

I'd probably fly KLM too, just because I've always wanted to.
We all have an itch we need to scratch.

Old Feb 7, 2009, 8:47 pm
Suspended

As someone said, if they had unlimited funds, they wouldn't fly commercial.

SQ does have a good product so off the top of my head, I'd fly westbound. On the transatlantic leg, they fly FRA-JFK.

Schedule is very important so it would be complicated to plan the absolute best schedule, route and airline.

Concorde stopped flying 6 years ago so that's a big gap.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:10 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by 4444
correct. i am not well versed in the aircraft field but i do fly on a gulfstream IV quite frequently. i use it for fll-las alot and have flown to europe on it. i have been on some other private jets but the g iv is all i would need for worldly jaunts....
Gulfstreams? Who wants to fly gulfstreams with unlimited funds?
I want my custom A380

If I had to take RTW on commercial airlines, then it would be something like
JFK SQ FRA LH LHR SQ SIN SQ SYD SIN SQ NRT NH JFK
Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:02 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Who says one have to do the round-the-world trip in a tin-can up in the air, when one could do it in a suite of minimum of 301 square feet of living space plus balcony...

135 Nights - Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Lauderdale on Seven Seas Voyager
Starting in Fort Lauderdale with stops in Cartagena, Fuerte Amador , Puntarenas, Puerto Chiapas, Huatulco, Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, San Diego, Taiohae, Papeete, Moorea, Bora Bora, Apia, Lautoka, Port Vila, Noumea, Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns, Thursday Island, Darwin, Komodo Island, Lombok, Bali (Padang Bay), Semarang, Singapore, Muara Siberut, Manila, Shanghai, Xiamen, Hong Kong, Hongai, Nha Trang, Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City), Laem Chabang, Kuala Lumpur (Port Klang), Penang, Male, Port Victoria, Praslin Island, Mombasa, Zanzibar, Richard's Bay, Durban, Cape Town, Walvis Bay, Cotonou, Lome, Takoradi, Banjul, Mindelo, Bridgetown, St. John's, Tortola - Roadtown, Grand Turk
Old Feb 8, 2009, 2:38 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Unlimited funds = unlimited duration........

Fred
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Honestly, I'd figure out where in the world I wanted to visit, examine the culture, explore our planet, etc., then look at who flew there. Maximizing time in a metal tube wouldn't be one of my goals. I doubt many of the top global F airlines would fly where I want to go. I'd probably end up on a whole bunch of ships (Antarctica), small primitive jets (Everest, Amazon, african desert), and other non big-plane modes of transport.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by kkjay77
Gulfstreams? Who wants to fly gulfstreams with unlimited funds?
I want my custom A380

If I had to take RTW on commercial airlines, then it would be something like
JFK SQ FRA LH LHR SQ SIN SQ SYD SIN SQ NRT NH JFK
lol. like i said i honestly dont know the difference.... edit..got it now.

Last edited by 4444; Feb 8, 2009 at 8:06 am
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
Honestly, I'd figure out where in the world I wanted to visit, examine the culture, explore our planet, etc., then look at who flew there. Maximizing time in a metal tube wouldn't be one of my goals. I doubt many of the top global F airlines would fly where I want to go. I'd probably end up on a whole bunch of ships (Antarctica), small primitive jets (Everest, Amazon, african desert), and other non big-plane modes of transport.
Me, too! I'm much more interested in where FTers would go than what they would fly, heresy though it might be here on FT.

I'm planning a RTW trip to begin the day I retire! (in Sept 2012, I think, assuming I still have a dollar to my name to retire on and the world still exists). I've got the beginning down pat: CO island hop to Guam and then to Yap, Palau and Truk to dive and kayak. Then on to Cairns for the total eclipse of the sun (I already have my room reserved on Green Island, just have to remember to resend my credit card info when my current card expires). After that? SE Asia: Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia. If I haven't made it to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos by then, include those too! Nepal and Bhutan. Way too much, but I'm taking a year.

At some point, I'd like to spend 6 months in Africa and at least a month in India. I'm saving Europe for when I get too old to do the good stuff!
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: True Blue, Continental OnePass Gold
Good thread, this is something I have always wanted to attempt... For me it would go

JFK-LAX UAL 752PS F
LAX-SYD QAF A380 F
SYD-SIN SIN A380 F
SIN-DXB EK A380 F
Depending on my mood
DXB-LHR EK 773ER F
LHR-JFK BA 744 F
or
DXB-JFK EK A380 F

That would be quite the fun trip, I could knock out all of the A380 routes in one go!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.