Wiki Posts
Search

Most expensive water bottle from airport shop

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Most expensive water bottle from airport shop

I was flying on a certain well-known Russian airline this morning and the Oslo hotel prices meant that I had to spend the night at Gardermoen. I obviously couldn't get lounge access before check-in, and had forgotten to put a water bottle into my checked luggage. So I needed some water. I really needed some water. And I bought a 700ml bottle. For 33 kroner! That's 3.5 Euros or $4.75. FOR A SMALL BOTTLE OF WATER (still, mineral, domestic brand that I had never heard before- not like I bought Voss's finest specially matured single-estate water or whatever ). There were other (still, mineral, domestic brands that I had never heard before) waters available for the same price for 500ml!

This got me thinking...Is this the most expensive water from an airport outlet (excluding full-service restaurants), or can you top it?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:36 am

Programs: Aerclub
I paid 3.50 Euro for similar sized bottle in SNN in november.Total rip off
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by graraps
I was flying on a certain well-known Russian airline this morning and the Oslo hotel prices meant that I had to spend the night at Gardermoen. I obviously couldn't get lounge access before check-in, and had forgotten to put a water bottle into my checked luggage. So I needed some water. I really needed some water. And I bought a 700ml bottle. For 33 kroner! That's 3.5 Euros or $4.75. FOR A SMALL BOTTLE OF WATER (still, mineral, domestic brand that I had never heard before- not like I bought Voss's finest specially matured single-estate water or whatever ). There were other (still, mineral, domestic brands that I had never heard before) waters available for the same price for 500ml!

This got me thinking...Is this the most expensive water from an airport outlet (excluding full-service restaurants), or can you top it?
I bought a bottle of water in OSL a few years ago and also remember how incredible expensive it was.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:01 am
hco

Programs: SAS *G
It's totally overpriced, but in Norway I would definately expect it at price about 30 kr. And I would not be surprised if it was for only 500 ml.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Originally Posted by Gnopps
I bought a bottle of water in OSL a few years ago and also remember how incredible expensive it was.
That was my first thought too...in OSL water+energy bar+capuccino =
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:30 pm

If I may extend this into a general terribly-overpiced items thread, I'd like to add that I had to pay $32 CAD for a smallish bottle of sunscreen at YEG last month, as mine was tossed at security and I couldn't be certain that there would be any at my small (very small) island destination (and no chance to buy any on route; I had early morning connections). I had to pay $22 CAD for a bottle of OFF!, too.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
How about 2 quid about 4 years ago in Stansted or Gatwick (I forget) for a smallish bottle of water. With those exchange rates ($2.05 to 1 pound sterling) that was $4.10!
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA GS
US$5 for a doughnut at the convention center in Oslo. Glad I wasn't the one paying for that trip...
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
$2.59 per out of Charlotte Douglas (CLT)
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
I've paid $4.50 or so for water before a few times. Small bottle. Can't recall the first airport. I do remember that the first time this happened I handed the cashier a $5 bill and just getting a couple of coins back... and was surprised.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 7:28 pm

Yep, can relate. Yesterday paid 1.90 Euros @ FCO for a small bottle of water.

No water fountains in C concourse - ironic since Rome is/was noted for its aqueducts
Ciao
Old Jan 14, 2009, 1:52 am

In most places I drink from a water fountain. If no fountains are to be fouind I vcan always go to the toilet and drink from tap as I´ve done all my life. I won´t waste 3,5 euros for bottled water if tap water is fine.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
In most places I drink from a water fountain. If no fountains are to be fouind I vcan always go to the toilet and drink from tap as I´ve done all my life. I won´t waste 3,5 euros for bottled water if tap water is fine.
The problem is that you can't take tap water on the aircraft with you, at least not in Europe where they don't allow empty water bottles through security. I often find I'm at my thirstiest when I can't get to a water fountain or tap - in the boarding queue, or on the aircraft just after getting on board.

Some airports sell water at reasonable prices, which is what airports should do. Others are clearly taking advantage of the liquid ban to rip people off. I think we should name and shame them (and NOT turn this into a thread about overpriced suntan lotion...)

HAM is another rip-off airport for bottled water. EUR 4.50 per bottle IIRC.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
The problem is that you can't take tap water on the aircraft with you, at least not in Europe where they don't allow empty water bottles through security. I often find I'm at my thirstiest when I can't get to a water fountain or tap - in the boarding queue, or on the aircraft just after getting on board.
LHR has ripped out many water fountains and replaced them with handy little stores selling water for (I think) £2.50/litre (or maybe smaller). e.g. T1 at the end of the pier where UA gates are, used to have a couple of fountains, not any more.

If I were you, I'd get a proper water bottle (1 litre, unbreakable one, you know the type that college kids carry around) and use it as a washbag/pencil case/dirty socks case[1] for the purposes of getting through security.

Dave

[1] might be worth putting socks in a bag if you intend to drink out of it...
Old Jan 14, 2009, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I saw $8 for a small bottle of Fiji water.....could buy several large ones for this at walgreens

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.