Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Dresscode on Commercial flights in First Class

Dresscode on Commercial flights in First Class

Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by 4444
i also wear a 15k rolex. does that make up for my shoes?
No, but making sure other people know the list price of your wristwatch makes you something else altogether.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
No, but making sure other people know the list price of your wristwatch makes you something else altogether.
guess you didnt detect my sarcasm...
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:47 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
A couple of notes..

How the Japanese let their hair down can easily we seen in a Wii commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiWuTopIrxk

The general idea is that if it can be bought at the GAP you're good. And japanese school children wear their uniforms for everything, including some serious parkour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfKxpmnAFRw

That said, the dressing-down of airlines directly relates to the dressing-down of a visit to a Disney theme park. What happened? The 70's.

Disney originally denied improperly dressed hippies from entering Disneyland. Even being a male with long hair kept you out. Social norms changed and Disneyland let them in. The same likely happened in air travel.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:48 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Especially since there are far less expensive watches of better quality..
Old Jan 11, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: nobody
I am all for dress comfortably on an airplane, especially on TPAC/TATL flights. However, if someone clothes needs constant readjusting to avoid revealing too much then I think it is inapporpriate. Case in point, I was flying back from LHR last week in C, my seat mate was wearing some low cut sweat pants that she needs to pull her pants up everytime getting in and out of her seat. Come on, wear something that will cover all your private area please!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:54 pm

I'll dress up for F again when the service in F is like this again.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack

A major point to fly C/F is to be seen spending money. Prove that you have the money to spend on unnecessary things, and the willingness to spend it.
For me, flying in C/F is about comfort and not about conspicuous consumption. High heels and skirts ceased to be appropriate for me on a plane during an Atlantic storm where passengers had to literally jump the gap from the plane to the tunnel. (Yes we were assisted but that winter wind was COLD!) Now I wear what is comfortable. If I don't want to make space for my hikers (broken in and slightly ugly footwear) in my luggage, you bet I'll wear them, no matter where I am on the plane. And honestly, I prefer my business suits endure the flight delays/line-ups/seats with foreign crud/in-flight bathrooms in my luggage.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
In 2009, most travelers who are in full business mufti (especially in premium cabins) are probably non-revs.

Some years ago, a number of corporations required employees traveling on company business to dress in business attire as they were "representing the company in public". I don't know if any companies follow that practice these days.
My last three military assignments were all Flag Grade posts and as I was representing the General when traveling I always wore a suit (you never knew when you might end up sitting next to a senior staff office). When I left the service the attire never changed for business travel. For personal travel its an open neck shirt and slacks.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
guess you didnt detect my sarcasm...
No, I guess not.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:53 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
My dresscode, be it work or play, is jeans and a t-shirt/short sleeve button-up. While it's not at all sloppy, it's also not formal. My reasoning is that wearing a suit onboard (and I've done this plenty of times) is uncomfortable, so I choose comfort over looks. It's worked so far and the only people to give me cross looks when I'm sitting in F probably should take a look at themselves first.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 1:04 am

My dress code is green for air travel and restaurants.

I pay for the service, I don't dress to impress the vendor.

If the steak dinner was free in exchange for me dressing up, I might do it...but the cut and preparation of the meat would have to be really, really good for me to consider it...Sullivans, Mortons, or Ruth's Chris minimum.

At work and for clients, I don't begrudge a monkey suit...they give me the green.

If I am footing the bill, I dress as I please. If the vendor has an issue with it, I find another vendor.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 4:07 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
no doubt. i have worn flip flops in f. i fly fll-ewr, fll-las alot. i also wear a 15k rolex. does that make up for my shoes?
I can beat that - the best of both worlds - I have a 30K Patek Phillipe watch - cost me £10 about three years ago - I was assured it was genuine by the salesman.... at the market stall in Penang. Anyway 3 years on still going strong, looks great and doesn't lose a second with it's auto wind mechanism. I'll eventually leave it as part of my estate, it's holding it's value a lot better than my house at the moment Unfortunately, the fancier the watch the more I assume that, like me, you bought it in a market in Asia

Seriously, why the hell dress up smart to sit on a plane. F/J/Y it's all the same - public transport - I'm so clumsy why do I want to spill food and drink and ruin yet another £50 tie or look like a fool with a nice white shirt with a big stain on it. I'll be dressing for comfort and practicality i.e something to hide the consequences of my clumsyness along the way. If for some reason I need to look smart coming off any public transport I'll worry about that when I'm packing for the trip and 5 minutes before I get out of said Taxi, bus, train, plane.

Last edited by Kettering Northants QC; Jan 13, 2009 at 4:13 am
Old Jan 13, 2009, 1:42 pm

No, I guess not.
lol. i was just poking fun at the folks who equate success, or status, by clothing or something as silly as a wristwatch.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:47 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
lol. i was just poking fun at the folks who equate success, or status, by clothing or something as silly as a wristwatch.
At least in my company (investment bank), this game is all about insecurity among middle management. The executive-level people are so inherently powerful that they don't really care how they look. The uber-peons, on the other hand, try to outdo each other so they look less like peons.

Anyway, I think there's a big difference between this particular game and the notion of a "dress code" in an office, club, restaurant, airplane or wherever. The dress code is not there to show success or status. The dress code is there to show respect for yourself and for the people around you. Sure, you can say it doesn't matter, but it does matter to a lot of people, including the people who are giving you service.

Perhaps I say this because my mother was at one point an assistant manager in the MIA Admirals Club, and constantly sharing stories of the famous or powerful people who came through there--invariably accompanied by some line like "Sean Connery looked just as dignified and majestic in real life" or "KISS were dressed like a bunch of construction workers and the girls out front didn't even want to let them in."
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:31 am

If you find me flying, if it's for formal business of course you'll find me in a business shirt with tie, trousers and a suit jacket.

Any other time, no matter which class (although I haven't flown F yet), you'll see me in jeans and a collared shirt, with closed shoes. And I do not mean ripped or torn jeans. The shirt is collared - not a t-shirt - but obviously long or short sleeved as appropriate.

I think I adopt a smart casual style when travelling. Personally I don't see anything wrong with that, even in premium classes. Enforcing people in premium classes to wear formal attire may seem more classy and distinctive, but in the end I think is unnecessary and pompous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.