ATM machine kept my card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM machine kept my card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Traveling in Guadalupe. For safety I usually split cash, cc's' ATM cards.

I put an ATM card (not sure which one) in a ATM machine. The ATM machine stated my bank directed them to keep the card.

Called my bank and they stated they could not see any transactions, but for safety I had them cancel the card I THOUGHT I might have put in. Now I am very doubtful on what I actually put in the machine...maybe it was a cc? (I left cards home to add to the confusion).

It was a real ATM...other people were using it and another friend was able to get money out of it.

Has an ATM machine ever kept your card?

What will the ATM do with my card? Am I relatively safe since it was a real ATM?

Why would a ATM keep a card? I have never reported anthing stolen. (might have been the first time I ever used this card, but that still does not seem like a good reason)

Any other suggestions for me?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:38 am

Programs: united mp
Happended to me in Bali. Get the name of the bank off the ATM machine with phone # if possible. Call the bank and ask when you can go to the bank to pick up card. Bring ID with you.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by drip1947
Happended to me in Bali. Get the name of the bank off the ATM machine with phone # if possible. Call the bank and ask when you can go to the bank to pick up card. Bring ID with you.
Not an option. On a sailboat and have left the city. Furthermore I don't think they open again until Monday.

Why did it happen to you?

Do you think I am 'relatively' safe from unathorized use?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:46 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I have had an ATM keep a card and the bank could only return it to the issuing bank.

But I have NEVER used a card in an ATM not knowing which card it was. Perhaps pay a little more attention in the future? I guess if you have mega bucks in several accounts, it doesn't really matter
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:47 am

Programs: united mp
The machine simply kept the card. Expect it was some kind of malfunction.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I had an ATM keep a card recently. It was expired, but I did get a receipt stating so.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:21 am
Suspended

That happened to me one time when I entered the wrong PIN one too many times.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Happened to me once and I had to go into the bank and they retrieved it for me. I think it was a PIN issue, but not certain.

Definitely more attention to what cards you are carrying and what you're using is called for in future.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:29 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
just a thought but did you notify your bank that you would be out of the country?

when i travel internationally, i call my bank (and cc company) and let them know that i will be in xxx country from xxx days to yyy days so that their internal fraud flags don't have a stroke. it might be that your bank thought your card (or card number with the card then cloned) had been stolen or otherwise compromised and then shut down thus causing the foreign atm to retain the card
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Some of the larger ATM that fully take and 'hold' the card will do this if the PIN is wrong 3 times, or if it has been wrong on others and is wrong again they can be 'instructed' to hold the card as was said.

We used to have people go retrieve the lockbox with cards in it every other day and work to return the cards to their proper branches by the daily courier to the Fed branch, now since that process has not happening these days with the electric check submissions I'd guess they are using fedex/ups to do the same but they may be waiting a bit longer to send multiple cards; I am not positive as I am no longer involved in this field.

I rather prefer the slide based ATMs these days where the card doesn't go all the way in or is just slid across like a CC swipe machine.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:20 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Steph3n
Some of the larger ATM that fully take and 'hold' the card will do this if the PIN is wrong 3 times, or if it has been wrong on others and is wrong again they can be 'instructed' to hold the card as was said.

We used to have people go retrieve the lockbox with cards in it every other day and work to return the cards to their proper branches by the daily courier to the Fed branch, now since that process has not happening these days with the electric check submissions I'd guess they are using fedex/ups to do the same but they may be waiting a bit longer to send multiple cards; I am not positive as I am no longer involved in this field.

I rather prefer the slide based ATMs these days where the card doesn't go all the way in or is just slid across like a CC swipe machine.
forgot about the incoreect pin "option".

as an aside, retained atm cards were a royal pita in terms of dual custody and record keeping . i was so happy when my atm's went to an "insert until it stops and remove in order to go forward with your transaction" or the swipe method. no more retained cards and i was very very happy.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:32 am

This happened to me once: I had input my PIN but let too much time elapse before keying in anything else (discussing with my companions how much money to get). Luckily, this was at a bank during business hours, and all I had to do was go in and show an ID to get it back.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:57 am

Once a BoA ATM kept my card. The bank destroyed the card and I had to get a new card.

FWIW, I send an email to myself with card, passport, and TC info. Then if the worst happens I can retrieve the info from any internet cafe.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by glob99
Once a BoA ATM kept my card. The bank destroyed the card and I had to get a new card.

FWIW, I send an email to myself with card, passport, and TC info. Then if the worst happens I can retrieve the info from any internet cafe.
Hopefully you have that data encrypted of the person after you may have your info too!
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Steph3n
Hopefully you have that data encrypted of the person after you may have your info too!
I'd call your bank right now and cancel the card. There are many tales of machines outside the US intentionally jammed by crooks who then use them to hit your account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.