Reload this Page >

Most Commercial Airlines Flown and Dodgiest Airline Flown

Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:11 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP

Just wondering how many commercial airlines everyone has flown in their lives (a realistic approximate guess if you don't know the exact number is fine )

Also, what's the dodgiest airline you've ever flown (in terms of safety, reputation, etc)
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
What are your answers wijomas?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:36 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

I knew someone would ask that (Un)fortunately I've generally stuck to the main carriers - so mine is around 15 commercial airlines flown.

The worst out of all of those would have to be Thai Airways - on all of my flights with them I have had bad experiences with things falling apart inside the cabin! Hate to know what's falling off on the outside...

And where are your answers, Kiwi Flyer?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm close to 3M BIS miles now, but I bet I couldn't get past 12-14 airlines (not counting Republic, Mesa, etc as different airlines when operating as USAir Express, etc.). I guess all my flying is boring, domestic, mainline carriers.

The fact that the dodgiest I can come up with is USAir tells you I haven't been very adventurous.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Don't know the total number, but the dodgiest has to be a charter flight we took years ago from CVG to Jamaica where they collected an extra cash payment for fuel before departure from each passenger.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:41 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by runningshoes
Don't know the total number, but the dodgiest has to be a charter flight we took years ago from CVG to Jamaica where they collected an extra cash payment for fuel before departure from each passenger.
Did they stop off at the local gas station to pickup the fuel and get pies for everyone's in-flight meal?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
How many airlines? -- probably under 10. Not overly adventurous, and usually try to stick to "known quantities" when possible.

But when NOT possible is when the dodginess comes in!

Dodgiest? -- Air Koryo, with Yangon Airways and Mandalay Air probably close seconds (airlines run by juntas and maniacs generally can be considered as dodgy in my book). However, all flights on said airlines were completely uneventful. The Air Koryo plane did look like it was sure to fall apart midair though.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
According to my FM, I've set foot on 15 different airlines. Dodgiest for me would so far have to be Spirit. Living where I do, for a long time they were a good choice. I took my last Spirit flight in May of 2007 and probably wouldn't fly them again without a gun to my head, because I believe that they caused or enabled most of the problems that the domestic airline industry is facing.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
A look at FightMemory shows I have flown on 24 different commercial airlines. Incidentally it shows the airlines I have flown on the third and fourth most are both long out of business (TWA and Pan Am). Guess that shows I'm not as young as I once was I'd say the "dodgiest" airline I've flown on is Air Rwanda (BJM-KGL) although thanks to the low altitude of the flight, it was quite a scenic trip. Second place would go to Avensa on CCS-CAJ.

Last edited by daveinsf; Dec 9, 2008 at 7:58 pm
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
FM says 45 airlines.

here is a list: CO/NW/KL/MH/UA/AC/AZ/DL/LH/LO/VS/MT/QF/C0/NH/5J/AK/PR/US/WN/NZ/AA/DJ/NE/U2/BY/W6/EK/0B/KM/BG/UP/W6/BT/XG/Y0/FD/PG/QO/BL/AB/VY/FT/QV/ABA (from my spreadsheet listed by miles flown, subsidiaries and regionals not included)

This would all be within the last 7 years in my 20s

Dodgiest, probably Blue Air from OTP to BCN. A plane without any livery, an old MD-8x. Broken seats, for some reason flying very low at all times...

Another one is Abaco Air, which isnt even registered with IATA, when I lived in MHH. The memories of waiting for takeoff at NAS, sitting next to the pilot in a BN42, when he was having an apple and a coffee between his knees as a 737 rolled right past us....
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
flugstatistiks.de says 49 airlines, but I haven't entered my oldest flights so will be over 50.

I'm not sure if this is my dodgiest flight, but one that sticks in mind (because of the hijacking attempt while I waited for my flight), is an Air Chathams Metroliner. Old aircraft with interior in shocking condition. That the flight was over 2 hours over water, near the limit of the range, with no alternative airports and it was a stormy day, did not help.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:25 am

Tower Air has been the dodgiest I've ever flown.
I can't even talk about my experiences...I still get angry.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 2:03 am

55 airlines since 2000.

Dodgiest airline in that timeline is undoubtedly TAAG Angola.

Dodgiest of all time is probably Tower Air.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 2:48 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
I'd guesstimate 20 airlines in 25 years. Dodgiest was AeroCalifornia..DC-9's looked like they were gonna shake themselves apart in mid-air. That was interesting. I still vividly recall the flight and it had to be 15 years ago.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by aviators99
Tower Air has been the dodgiest I've ever flown.
I can't even talk about my experiences...I still get angry.
At first I was going to say Krasnojarsk Air from Siberia but then Tower Air came to mind ! They were definately the dodgiest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.