Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas Gift ideas for travelers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2008, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold
Christmas Gift ideas for travelers

OK, it's that time of the year. Mrs. Aquadyne is hounding me daily for what I want for Christmas. Given the fact that I usually buy what I need when I want it so it's hard to think of something, and my recent new career that involves traveling, I got to thinking there are lots of travel goodies that might make my travel a bit more comfortable.

I already have the noise-canceling headphones, or that would be #1 on the list. But what else do you frequent travelers think would be worthy of putting on your Santa list?
Old Nov 27, 2008, 9:15 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Fuzzy neck pillow, ftw!

I dunno, maybe some good books or a netflix subscription? A handheld game system if you're into that? Nice luggage (as in sturdy, rolls well, etc.. not "Gucci") is nice, but it's hard to shop for someone else for that sort of thing.

A good travel jacket? Something to keep you warm, is stylish enough to be worn to higher end places should the need arise, and is light enough to not be impossible to wear upon arrival in TPA or some other warm climate.

Oo, what about an Amazon Kindle?
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Oooh, a Kindle. That's a winner!
Old Nov 28, 2008, 1:29 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, PriorityClub Gold, Marriott, UA Mileage Plus, LH Miles & More, Sixt Platinum
Haha, Great! First present I thought about, after I read your first paragraph, was a noice cancelling headphone...

Then I read the second paragraph!
Old Nov 28, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
http://blog.iloho.com/older/2008/11/...tmas_presents/
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:15 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific, BA, Lufthansa, Starwood
@ShopAround - thanks for sharing the iloho post!

I would say a cashmere travel blanket. I've been wanting one for years and picked up a big cashmere wrap in Hong Kong's Stanley Market for HKD 800 in lieu. It makes a huge difference: I don't know how anyone can put those horrible, static economy blankets anywhere near themselves!!
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:38 pm

Do you rent cars on your travels? If so, do you have a portable GPS that gives directions?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if considering kindle, make sure they are interested...
Old Dec 12, 2008, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rabidstoat
Do you rent cars on your travels? If so, do you have a portable GPS that gives directions?
I have an iPhone that does well enough for my use. My travels are usually to the same place, though, so I've learned my way around.

I did find a new idea last week... a small router to plug into a wired hotel internet connection and get better wifi than the usual 2-bar-or-less.

Your handle looks awfully familiar. See pm to see if you're who I think you are.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
If you carry a laptop on your trips, an all-in-one power supply like the iGo Everywhere unit (or similar device from other manufacturers) allow you to use in-seat power (where available).

With the accessory extension. the same unit will simultaneously charge your smartphone, PDA or mp3 player (at the same time you are using it with your laptop).

Even better, because the iGO unit also provides AC (mains) power capability, you can leave all of those heavy power bricks at home and carry only one compact power supply in your bag. It works worldwide (no special converter is needed, you simply use a plug adapter for the country you are in).

http://www.igo.com/detail/IGO+PS00120-0005
Old Dec 13, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AquaDyne
I did find a new idea last week... a small router to plug into a wired hotel internet connection and get better wifi than the usual 2-bar-or-less.
I have the Linksys travel router, it comes in handy every so often, like if I have two devices that need wifi at a hotel that charges for wifi / internet. But most of the time it just sits in my bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.