Wiki Posts
Search

Dating Site for Travelers?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Dating Site for Travelers?

A friend of mine just went through a tough break up. He's going through the whole match.com thing right now, but he was curious if there's a site that specializes in singles who love to travel.

Most of the sites he's found so far have been for travel companions you need to pay up front and in cash!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:49 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I can't specifically name any sites, but I can say that when I was doing a lot of internet dating, every other ad from described a single who "loved to travel." After ten minutes on Lavalife he'll find hundreds of singles keen on travel.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 3:03 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
time to attend a few FT Community events me thinks..
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gglave
I can't specifically name any sites, but I can say that when I was doing a lot of internet dating, every other ad from described a single who "loved to travel." After ten minutes on Lavalife he'll find hundreds of singles keen on travel.
That's exactly the problem. Everyone who has ever driven on I80 to the local costco puts "loves to travel" in their profile....
Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by GK
^
Old Nov 4, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Exactly - or people who think a weekend in Vegas is big travel but have never had a passport.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:00 am

People who claim that they "love to travel" are rarely among the most frequent travelers.

Once you're truly traveling frequently, the best vacation is a weekend at home.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 12:22 pm

Inflight magazines like American Way usually have ads for discreetly matching "busy professionals..." like It's Just Lunch, etc. Maybe refer your friend to one of those.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 2:34 am

Perhaps we should create a thread called "Date a FlyerTalker" in the same spirit as the venerable "Hire a Flyertalker" thread! ^

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
That's exactly the problem. Everyone who has ever driven on I80 to the local costco puts "loves to travel" in their profile....
Since my house is a five minute walk to ELP, I can fully say that I love to travel because I drive I-10 to my local Costco (even though there are shorter routes to Costco that do not involve I-10 from my house).
Old Nov 5, 2008, 3:23 am
Former user name: laundrian

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
A friend of mine just went through a tough break up. He's going through the whole match.com thing right now, but he was curious if there's a site that specializes in singles who love to travel.

Most of the sites he's found so far have been for travel companions you need to pay up front and in cash!

Are you sure it's for a "friend" of yours, or is that friend really YOU ??
Old Nov 5, 2008, 3:41 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
There was a company in Toronto that I went to a couple of events that includes singles, group travel itineraries. The company is called Meet Market Adventures, and they have a number of cities that they run events at now, including NYC. I have only been to the local events in Toronto, and not done one of the tours.

It might be worth going on a singles vacation, and perhaps meeting someone that way.

Greg
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
All too tue. Also "loves animals", "loves walking in the park" and "loves romantic dining" are usually listed as pluses.

MisterNice
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by GK
^^
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Online dating sites give me the creeps for some reason, so I like to meet women the old-fashioned way.

Why, just a few weeks ago I met some really friendly girls in the bar at an airport Ramada. One of them even asked me if I wanted to go out on a date with her! Too bad it was getting late that evening, or we could’ve gone to the movies or something.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:45 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I forget the name of the site, but there was a service started by a FTer a couple of years ago, I think, that allowed agreeable individuals to seek the company of other agreeable individuals who happened to be on the same flights. It got a good deal of press when it started up, but I haven't heard anything about it since then. Anyone recall the name of that site?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.