Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does Indianapolis observe daylight savings time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Indiana is so confusing. Before, a lot of the state was on Eastern Standard Time yearround, which is the same as Central Daylight time in the summer. Now IND is on the same time zone as BOS or MIA.

What about next week? Are they staying on Eastern Time?
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:42 pm

2 years ago Indiana started observing Daylight Saving Time. IND will stay on the same time as BOS and MIA. Certain parts of the state along the IL border are in Central time..
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

I knew the Indiana side of Louisville, KY always stayed on Eastern Time and changed to daylight savings time.

Now I know the full story.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
A few years ago, I was on my first sales trip to KY. I landed in Cincinnati and headed south. I didn't realize I would cross to central time. I was an hour early for an appt.

Better than being late!
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
A few years ago, I was on my first sales trip to KY. I landed in Cincinnati and headed south. I didn't realize I would cross to central time. I was an hour early for an appt.

Better than being late!
You must have headed quite far west in addition to going south. The eastern half of Kentucky is on Eastern time like Cincinnati.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by crhptic
You must have headed quite far west in addition to going south. The eastern half of Kentucky is on Eastern time like Cincinnati.
I think I was headed to Bowling Green and the time change. About 6 years ago, so its a bit fuzzy. Only went there once.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
I was living just outside Indianapolis when they first switched to changing the clocks for daylight savings. It was the biggest news story for at least 2 weeks. The newspaper was interviewing people who had to change big clocks like you would see in a city square. As much as they tried to make it a story, the time changed, the clocks changed, and it was quickly a non-event like the rest of the country. Pretty amusing.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:31 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I do love living in a state that almost entirely ignores this DST nonsense. In the modern age of 24/7 lifestyles, I doubt it has as much value in energy saved than when it was first implemented.

More aggravating is when the government decides to change the start and end dates so everyone in IT gets to patch every bloody system. To top it off, at least a couple of reports estimated there was no net gain or loss of energy savings post-change. Just lots of extra work for IT people. It was so much nicer when US & Canada DST matched Europe, off by only 1 week instead of the current 3 weeks.

I hope in the future OS and App software will have built-in configurable settings for precisely which days of the year clocks are to switch in your particular region.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:32 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I do love living in a state that almost entirely ignores this DST nonsense. In the modern age of 24/7 lifestyles, I doubt it has as much value in energy saved than when it was first implemented. I'm only impacted with work meetings - just depends on the Outlook calendar location of the person who scheduled it, which determines if my weekly meetings are the same or an hour later come Monday.

More aggravating is when the government decides to change the start and end dates so everyone in IT gets to patch every bloody system. To top it off, at least a couple of reports estimated there was no net gain or loss of energy savings post-change. Just lots of extra work for IT people. It was so much nicer when US & Canada DST matched Europe, off by only 1 week instead of the current 3 weeks.

I hope in the future OS and App software will have built-in configurable settings for precisely which days of the year clocks are to switch in your particular region.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:05 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
I do love living in a state that almost entirely ignores this DST nonsense.
That almost can be a killer.

Back in the day when it was much more common to have motel reservations on a 6pm hold, I recall watching a number of rather upset people at the Holiday Inn in Kayenta (which, being on Navajo land does observe DST) arriving at what they thought was ~5:30pm, only to find that it was 6:30pm and their reservations had been given away.

And it's a long way from Kayenta to the next place with a semi-decent motel!

In Indiana, before DST, I once managed to attend church services in Wolcott (Eastern Time) at 9 am, then drive the dozen miles to Remington (then Central time) for 9:30 am services

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.