Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

AARP Auto Club instead of AAA?

Old Oct 26, 2008, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

I hope this can go on this forum. I'm in AARP, and have become aware of their auto club. My AAA membership is up for renewal, so I'm considering changing. Whichever one I use, I'd like to have the plan with 100-mile towing; that would have helped with some trouble that I've had. I see such plans at $81 on AAA, and $61 the first year and $71 later on AARP. Is there anything I should know about how reliable and prompt the service with the AARP plan is? Other considerations? I think the AAA discounts I've taken are generally also available with AARP. One minor thing is getting a passport picture taken at AAA when I get an International Driving Permit, which I generally do every two years.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 1:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Look at the fine print of AARP and see if they cover locksmiths to get into your car. AAA, at least here in CA, offers different dollar amount reimbursement depending which plan you have. Also, does AARP provide maps if you need them? I request AAA maps on line and they mail them to me (maybe I'm the last person without a GPS).

I remember years ago we would have a terrible time finding the tow companies that contracted with the non-AAA auto clubs. For instance, an officer would say a member was requesting an Exxon Auto Club tow, and we spent time calling around trying to sort out who would take that card. Never had that problem with AAA as they have a central call center for the Bay Area. Find out what the process is for requesting a tow with AARP. Do they reimburse you, do you call an 800 number that coordinates nationwide, or how do they handle tows?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:23 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
While the AARP rate at a hotel can sometimes be better, it's my recent experience with Starwood hotels that the AAA rate is better than the AARP rate (senior discount) more often than not - enough to more than offset the $10/year difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.