Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Bottles or cans of soda or beer in checked luggage @ 30,000 ft [Merged threads]

Bottles or cans of soda or beer in checked luggage @ 30,000 ft [Merged threads]

Old Nov 11, 2010, 1:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I would go for bottles instead of cans, they seem to survive the flight better.

It will make a mess if it does pop open, so if you can put it in something to contain it should there be a leak it would be a huge benefit.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I have brought cans of Mountain Dew to Prague twice (6 cans each time) in checked bags with no problem - I did double bag them in plastic.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA MM, Alaska Airlines MVP
Green Tea

I bring back at least 1 Costco-size pallet of green tea (in cans) every time I go to Hawaii (my Costco in CA doesn't sell it). I saran wrap around the cardboard box and cans several times, slap an agriculture sticker on it (leaving Hawaii all bags have to go through agriculture inspection), and just check it as an extra piece of luggage. It helps being a Premier Executive with United since I am entitled to 3 free pieces of luggage. I have never had any problems with breakage/leaking. I would recommend doing it this way, because with the clear saran wrap, it is obvious what it is, and the baggage handlers should be more careful knowing it is a liquid. I've never transported soda, but I assume that since they serve coke and stuff on the airplane at high altitude, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 4:53 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
I didn't read the other thread that was linked from here as it's kind of long but one suggestion I've heard for bringing wine back is to also put paper towels or newspaper in the ziploc bag that you put the soda in (or in the case of what I read wine). What this will do in the unfortunate event of the can/bottle exploding is help absorb the liquid. This doesn't help prevent any sort of explosion of the soda but will help keep your other items dry.

Is any available post security at the airport? If so, perhaps you can buy some there. Price will be higher, but soda should stand a better chance of surviving the flight.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
I checked a 750ml bottle of Wastmalle Tripel coming back from Brussels last year and nothing happened.

They serve soda from cans on flights, so logic dictates that bringing your own shouldn't be a problem, in terms of pressure. I would think that your biggest problem would be your bag being thrown around by baggage handlers. They do make bottles of Cherry Coke, and I think they would stand up more to abuse.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I have had blue shower gel spew all over my electronics once with check-in luggage Since then I meticulously duct-tape all my shower gel/shampoo.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chx1975
I live in Canada, Cherry Coke is not available and I have a friend who is just dying for it. Now, I can carry home some from SF but is it safe to check it in? I dunno, pressure problems?
Perhaps send it UPS/Fedex Ground to be safe?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bdesmond
Perhaps send it UPS/Fedex Ground to be safe?
Importing FOOD into the US by mail? You're asking for trouble with the FDA. They will hold your package and ask you to fill multi-page forms about the composition of the food you're sending. (chocolate I sent from Switzerland didn't appreciate spending a month in some non temperature controlled government warehouse...)
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Arthur Randolph
Importing FOOD into the US by mail? You're asking for trouble with the FDA. They will hold your package and ask you to fill multi-page forms about the composition of the food you're sending. (chocolate I sent from Switzerland didn't appreciate spending a month in some non temperature controlled government warehouse...)
I believe the OP was actually looking to /export/ food from the US.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I've never had issues with transporting beverages, even in cans.

One very generous FTer even filled one of his 70-pound-allotment bags (courtesy of elite status with DL) to the brim with Cheerwine cans. They all (to my knowledge) survived, and we enjoyed Cheerwine up here in Alaska for about a month before they were all consumed.

Originally Posted by Arthur Randolph
I sent chocolate to Canada via USPS without issue, and the OP was asking about bringing it back to Canada, not into the US.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:46 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I checked a case of Guinness LHR-MAD-SJU, and every bottle survived!

The only thing unusual ended up being the raised eyebrows from customs @ SJU when I declared a case of Guinness.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
I've never had issues with transporting beverages, even in cans.

One very generous FTer even filled one of his 70-pound-allotment bags (courtesy of elite status with DL) to the brim with Cheerwine cans. They all (to my knowledge) survived, and we enjoyed Cheerwine up here in Alaska for about a month before they were all consumed.

I sent chocolate to Canada via USPS without issue, and the OP was asking about bringing it back to Canada, not into the US.
There's still a can or two left... [just like I think I still have one AS cookie left ]

Hoarding it until we replenish the supply

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.