Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Bottles or cans of soda or beer in checked luggage @ 30,000 ft [Merged threads]

Bottles or cans of soda or beer in checked luggage @ 30,000 ft [Merged threads]

Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
And you can get Alaskan Brewing beers, right?

HTSC
Originally Posted by beckoa
Just brought back 2 six packs from MIA this
weekend... packed with a towel or article of clothing around each bottle and put them in a hard bottomed duffel with misc tourist papers/ usa today's on the bottom and around several bottles too... all survived great to ANC

I shipped back 4 Key West Southernmost Wheat's and 8 Hurricane Raspberry Wheats...
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Champagne in checked luggage?

I have a vintage bottle of champagne I'd like to enjoy on an upcoming cruise. Is there a chance it will explode in the baggage compartment of the plane? I will be on two segments and the types of planes are MD-80 and Boeing 738, if that matters.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if the cork is still wired on, i really doubt it will explode. nothing else explodes in the luggage area(other than oxygen bottles on whatever that oz airline was)

if you have had it for more than 2 years, it may be tired.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta, United
Pack it well with lots of padding and it should be fine. You can get a card board container to put in if you are really worried.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...d-threads.html
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:44 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by mary_228
I have a vintage bottle of champagne I'd like to enjoy on an upcoming cruise. Is there a chance it will explode in the baggage compartment of the plane? I will be on two segments and the types of planes are MD-80 and Boeing 738, if that matters.
I might be more worried about the cruise line alcohol police that try to prevent passengers from consuming drinks not purchased from the ship.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 1:10 pm

Generally I employ diapers and tape to transport liquids. I will be testing my method August 2009 when I take a six pack of Molson Golden from BUF to LAX.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
And you can get Alaskan Brewing beers, right?

HTSC

Yes, they are brewed in JNU and served on AS ^

So, I am confused @ the emoticon>?<
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
I have packed everything from 2L plastic bottles to glass beer bottles. If I know I am going to be doing this I bring padded envelopes(like you use for shipping), and if practical, zip-loc type bags.

-Patrick
Old Apr 6, 2009, 5:03 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
I brought a 750ml corked/wired bottle of Westmalle Tripel back from Brussels last week. It came in a cardboard tube, so I had the store wrap the bottle in bubble wrap, put it in the tube, and wrap the tube in bubble wrap. I then wrapped the whole thing in a plastic bag and put it in my luggage. Everything turned out fine.

I think the biggest thing to worry about is an airline or TSA employee helping themselves to your goods.

Last edited by newbiztraveler; Apr 6, 2009 at 5:10 am
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Fluffy might break wind in case of decompression, but I doubt hell explode.
When I took two cats overseas a few years ago, I was told by one airline to avoid DC-10s since the baggage holds weren't always pressurized (not many DC-10s now, but there are MD-80s which I thought were similar). And when we exited Mozambiue to South Africa, again with the cats (I was working in Maputo for 2 years, not taking the animals on a quick vacation), we found that one plane in fact did not have a pressurized baggage hold. Had to take the animals on another flight. Of course, for pets it's not just a matter of pressure but also temperature.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:25 pm

There are no commercial jets with unpressurised baggage holds. The floor simply isn't designed to take up the pressure differential.

Some cargo compartments don't have fresh heated air circulating in them, which is what comes into play for transporting live animals.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by alanh
There are no commercial jets with unpressurised baggage holds. The floor simply isn't designed to take up the pressure differential.
Is the floor even airtight? I would expect not.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:30 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by jackal
Is the floor even airtight? I would expect not.
No. It would be dangerous if it were. If there is a rapid depressurization the pressure above and below the floor must equalize fast enough to prevent structural damage. There are panels in the floor designed to allow this rapid pressure equalization. The cargo areas do get quite cold, though, as they typically do not have much, if any, heated air directed into them.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by LarryJ
No. It would be dangerous if it were. If there is a rapid depressurization the pressure above and below the floor must equalize fast enough to prevent structural damage. There are panels in the floor designed to allow this rapid pressure equalization. The cargo areas do get quite cold, though, as they typically do not have much, if any, heated air directed into them.
That makes sense... I recall seeing holes in the floor (the metal) and wondered why it wasn't a solid piece of metal... besides saving weight this would allow equalization of pressure ^
Old Apr 29, 2009, 5:22 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
I'm considering checking a case (flat or 24 depending on the terminology YOU use) of beer on my flight tomorrow to Canada. I am going carry-on only on this flight, so there's no risk anyway to my clothes, etc. Since I have an allowance of 2 checked items and beer is more than twice the price in Canada than the US (about $40 Canadian for a case of 24), I thought I'd go ahead and pack a case.

Think there will be any problems with checking a case in its original cardboard packaging?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.