Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Bottles or cans of soda or beer in checked luggage @ 30,000 ft [Merged threads]

Bottles or cans of soda or beer in checked luggage @ 30,000 ft [Merged threads]

Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
I travel soft sided bags, packed cans of soda and beer, plastic 2 liter bottles, fifth and liter sized glass bottles of booze and glass bottles of beer. Never any problems and you should be ok if you pack carefully. I just came back from Amsterdam yesterday with 4-25 ounce and about 10-12 ounce bottles no damage whatsoever and only wrapped with my clothing as padding. Back in January on another Amsterdam trip I had about double that amount and no problems either.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:56 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I don't see why you'd need to wrap them. Soda cans can take a lot of abuse. The high pressure inside the sealed can makes them quite sturdy.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Used to do it until...

One can exploded @ some point between check-in & baggage claim & I ended up w/a suitcase full of Pepsi-soaked clothes. Have never done it since.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 3:36 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
The more important question.... what is his favorite soda?
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, Hilton Diamond, ICH Platinum
Originally Posted by Cadburysmom
upcoming cruise
Agree with above and have brought many an extra can of beer home in checked luggage and never had a problem. Since it's usually the way home wrapped in dirty laundry.

The 2 fears I foresee with your trip is:

1) Watch the weight of the bag. Make sure the 12 pack doesn't put you into a ridiculous over weight charge with the airline

2) I have heard folks with serious soda addictions and booze for that matter having their stash confiscated before boarding the cruise as the cruise wants the revenue
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:29 pm

Since the airlines hand out cans of soda to people, we have to assume it is safe to carry cans of soda on the airplanes.

But ...

Cans that are aged beyond the shelf life may be compromised. Cans that are frozen will burst, and cans heated above 140 degrees Fahrenheit will explode.

The airlines presumably are careful to make sure the cans are stored properly and used before the shelf live expires. Presumably they discard cans subjected to temperature extremes as a precaution, even if they have not burst or exploded yet.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
As soon as you retrieve your checked baggage from the carousel, make sure to open a few cans to test how violently your luggage was handled
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I don't see why you'd need to wrap them. Soda cans can take a lot of abuse. The high pressure inside the sealed can makes them quite sturdy.
I didn't wrap one set (in a big duffle)... well it was wrapped poorly, however most of the cans made it... one didn't.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by mersk862
Keys are to use a rollaboard (not a duffel bag, gets banged up more that way) and to wrap each bottle in dirty laundry.
Ewww! Not too dirty I hope. ...unless I'm serving it to my Father-in-Law.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 7:07 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Well once upon a time I wanted to have "diet caffeine free cola" with me on my trip to Ireland and thought that would be impossible to find over there....so I brought some with me - and like the other poster above - wound up with some ugly wet clothing - not a fun thing to deal with on a trip to Ireland. Never again for me!

(I suspect it was in the baggage handling as opposed to a pressurization issue - so individually wrapped canned might have made it. It was only one can that had a small puncture wound.)
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:06 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Watchful
"diet caffeine free cola"
I have always wondered what the point of that stuff was
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have wondered why the carbonation release of soda in the reduced pressure of the cabin seems to be the same as at sea level.

also, same with champagne, and the bubbles do not seem larger in the cabin.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Soda/beer cans can take a lot of abuse when it comes to pressure + being shaken/overpressurized. The problem is when a ding/crease is created in the can, presumably from mis-handling, and that creates a weak point int he structure which can allow the can to burst.

Point in case, just about everyone has seen the old trick of "stand on a an empty beer can" and it doesn't crush... but the moment that someone taps it, the crease that's created allows the can to collapse.

HTSC

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Just brought back 2 six packs from MIA this weekend... packed with a towel or article of clothing around each bottle and put them in a hard bottomed duffel with misc tourist papers/ usa today's on the bottom and around several bottles too... all survived great to ANC

I shipped back 4 Key West Southernmost Wheat's and 8 Hurricane Raspberry Wheats...
Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Depending upon where I'm headed, I'll travel with a few of the wooden wine shipping boxes - they can hold clothes / toiletries when not holding beer (or wine).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.