Bottles or cans of soda or beer in checked luggage @ 30,000 ft [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bottles or cans of soda or beer in checked luggage @ 30,000 ft [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 3:28 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
I'll be over on the alcohol, he wants a bottle of Makers Mark too, but I'm not concerned about that. I'd like to keep them in their very redneck box, but will need I guess to engineer some kind of protective device around them. Both to keep the liquid contained if they burst, but also to keep the AMS ramp monkeys from opening up his cold ones.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:44 am

The cargo hold is pressurized to the same altitude as the rest of the cabin.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes my relatives in HK would request me to bring them some Canadian Maple Syrup Bottles from Toronto. I usually wrap them with those plastics that have pimples on them (don't know what they are called) and place them in my checked-luggage. At the end they've always turned out to be fine. No cracks.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
<SNIP> I usually wrap them with those plastics that have pimples on them (don't know what they are called)
Bubble wrap! Or just get some of these padded envelopes (can't beat the price).
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the terminology. Also love the popping sound when you squeeze them with your fingers.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 2.2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Exec, Hertz President's Club, Starwood Gold
I do this all the time. CA wine for friends in Europe, British beer for friends in US. French wine for me!

I just wrap whatever I am checking in clothes and pack it into the suitcase. The most I ever checked in one bag was 9 bottles of wine / champagne, which made the bag a bit heavy, but it arrived without incident.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:46 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Thanks for the terminology. Also love the popping sound when you squeeze them with your fingers.
http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/index.shtml
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:25 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Originally Posted by RockoHorse
Really the only thing you need to watch out for is bottles cracking or breaking, I had a friend that had a rather unfortunate experience with a large bottle of marmite, so pack well!
I can share a rather unfortunate story that starts with a bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau and ends with a suitcase full of pink clothing...
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I have transported cases of beer from WI back to NY without incident. These were aluminum cans, not bottles.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:39 pm

Being a beer can collector, I have transported full aluminum beer cans in my checked bags from all over without any problems except from MTY. When security searched my luggage before checking it in, they have tried to confiscate my beer. They said that the aircraft compartment wasn't pressurized and the cans would explode. They had the Mexicana ticket agent confirm this nonscense. I ended up taking the beer out and draining it in the bathroom rather than let the thirsty security agents have it.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I tend to check a 6-pack or two of Alaskan Amber back to wherever I'm going when I'm on the West Coast.

Keys are to use a rollaboard (not a duffel bag, gets banged up more that way) and to wrap each bottle in dirty laundry.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:34 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
After meeting beckoa and others up in ANC on a business trip, I hauled a couple cases of Cheerwine up there during a followup visit last week.

I was quite proud of my packing job! I took the cans out of the 12-pack boxes and wrapped them in reused bubble wrap. I could wrap a line of 3 or 4 cans with one piece of bubble wrap while still keeping them from touching each other. Each case then went into a trash bag that I tied shut and sealed with packaging tape. Then into a reused Amazon.com box. (I love Amazon Prime!) Grocery bags provided additional filler in the box. I taped the box closed and put some extra tape around the corners and edges for extra protection from the baggage handlers and two connections including an airline change.

I was kind of sorry to give up the cool bubble wrap, though. Most of it was sticky on one side, and it was perfect for rolling up a few cans at a time. I saved it from when I ordered some English china bowls before my anniversary back in October. I knew that I'd find a good use for it before Christmas!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 2:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by sc flier
After meeting beckoa and others up in ANC on a business trip, I hauled a couple cases of Cheerwine up there during a followup visit last week.

I was quite proud of my packing job! I took the cans out of the 12-pack boxes and wrapped them in reused bubble wrap. I could wrap a line of 3 or 4 cans with one piece of bubble wrap while still keeping them from touching each other. Each case then went into a trash bag that I tied shut and sealed with packaging tape. Then into a reused Amazon.com box. (I love Amazon Prime!) Grocery bags provided additional filler in the box. I taped the box closed and put some extra tape around the corners and edges for extra protection from the baggage handlers and two connections including an airline change.

I was kind of sorry to give up the cool bubble wrap, though. Most of it was sticky on one side, and it was perfect for rolling up a few cans at a time. I saved it from when I ordered some English china bowls before my anniversary back in October. I knew that I'd find a good use for it before Christmas!
Quite an impressive & through packaging job indeed ^ I was impressed with the bubble wrap too ... I kinda had to work to get out a can tonight (its actually still unpacked laying downstairs in the hall .

I think the awesome packaging did double duty, insulating the beverages from the near zero degree weather we were experiencing in ANC

Thanks again sc flyer!
sc flier likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:11 am

Packing cans of soda in checked luggage?

Is this a really stupid idea? My son's fav soda is not offered on our upcoming cruise so I was considering bringing a 12 pack(cans) in the checked luggage, wrapping it in bubblewrap of course.

Our hotel is not near any stores where we can pick up some after we land and we're relying on hotel shuttle from airport to hotel to cruise port.

So has anyone flown with a 12 pack of cans which survived the trip?

Thanks for your help!

Mom from NC
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lotsa times.

Just make certain that it's wrapped well and I'd recommend a hard-sided suitcase to ensure that it won't be crushed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.