Reload this Page >

Bottles or cans of soda or beer in checked luggage @ 30,000 ft [Merged threads]

Bottles or cans of soda or beer in checked luggage @ 30,000 ft [Merged threads]

Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:40 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Have transported Champage with no problems in the hold luggage.
Also the Champagne bottles on board at the galley don't explode in the air.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Several years ago, I bought an entire carton/case of "Vinegar and Salt" potato chips for a friend in Austria. I, too, was worried that the bags would expand and pop, leaving a whole bunch of chips in the box. But everything made it safely! So, surely, would your bottles of soda.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Actually, just the opposite. It is the air that expands and contracts, not the liquid, so the less air in the sealed container the better. The liquid does not expand.
Whoops...So much for common sense
Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:35 pm
BLT

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Gold,
I carry Tab with me a lot in checked bags. it is in cans and I have had "accidents" altho I don't know if it is because of the pressure or because of rough handling. So now I cushion in Bubble wrap and then wrap in a platic garbage bag and with duct tape ( another use for duct tape). So now when something breaks it dosen't get anything wet.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by BLT
I carry Tab with me a lot in checked bags. it is in cans and I have had "accidents" altho I don't know if it is because of the pressure or because of rough handling. So now I cushion in Bubble wrap and then wrap in a platic garbage bag and with duct tape ( another use for duct tape). So now when something breaks it dosen't get anything wet.
My guess is it was a thinner can, thus any kind of 'rough handling' will undermine the structural integrity of the can... and when there was changes in pressure... pop

When I did transport the cans of cheerwine... one was gone (had only the empty can left... not sure what happened to the fluid ) the rest of the cans showed up in various stages of dentedness... Cans are much lighter but inferior devices to transport beverages... would highly recommend glass bottles!
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Aluminum cans are *really* thin. I once had a can of beer explode in my carryon pre-liquid ban.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, American Gold, Priority Club Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, National Exec Elite
Aluminum cans are amazingly thin (roughly 0.005"), and are highly engineered because of that. Part of the reason most aluminum beverage cans have a concave end is as a safety against expansion.

With travels to California and Mexico I regularly pack liquids in my checked luggage (Hooray Tequila!) The worst that has happened to me is seepage around the cork or stopper. I am guessing the bottle was upside down and the air pressure pushed out the liquid around the seal.

Just don't wrap the soda in any precious clothing and I'm sure it will be fine.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:12 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
I did BOS-EWR-PDX with a bottle of Vodka in my checked luggage (it was a flavor I didn't have here at home until like 2 months after my trip) and the bottle came home without any damage whatsoever. I wrapped it in a plastic bag and knotted the handles.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 2:10 am

Programs: UA 2P
Even if the cargo hold were completely unpressurized, it wouldn't make much difference (maybe around 10 psi less than sea level). Soda bottles can withstand ~150-200 psi,
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:03 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Sludge,
did they make it ok? what did you take? I was wondering if I should take some to my friends in teh US in a coupel fo weeks, I want to bring some sunkist back from the US for a year 11 lesson on food additives!
I did take a can of shandy over a few years ago but no one would believe it was a kids drink
Old Oct 12, 2008, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Once had a bag of chips explode while driving up the mountain in Hawaii. It went at about the 10,000 foot level, which implies that the hold of an aircraft is pressurized to a level below that.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:45 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The cargo hold is pressurized to the same altitude as the rest of the cabin. It would be prohibitively expensive to have multiple, independently regulated pressure vessels.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
A case of beer cans TATL?

I'm flying MSP-AMS-CPH next week in NW WBC (Award) and my Swedish buddy asked if I could bring a case of Miller High Life in camouflage cans. He liked the redneck look of them when he was here in November and since I have lots of luggage allowance I thought maybe I could check them.

Has anyone ever checked a case of beer cans? Not sure if they would make it safely, of if it would be allowed.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 3:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by lotalota
I'm flying MSP-AMS-CPH next week in NW WBC (Award) and my Swedish buddy asked if I could bring a case of Miller High Life in camouflage cans. He liked the redneck look of them when he was here in November and since I have lots of luggage allowance I thought maybe I could check them.

Has anyone ever checked a case of beer cans? Not sure if they would make it safely, of if it would be allowed.
I don't know about the alcohol issue, but I once checked one of those zipper coolers (pretty sturdy) full of coke cans. Travelled just fine. I lined the cooler with a plastic bag JIC.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not a problem at all alcohol-content wise. You shouldn't have any trouble checking them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.