Search

New economy extra/plus product!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2008, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium
New economy extra/plus product!

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong area, Im not sure where to put it.

I am a final year masters engineering student who has the needs to manufacture/design a novel-ish mechanical product.. Combining my love of flying with my hatred of economy class I've thought of a new idea, and am looking for you advice/views on whether its a good idea.

I don't want to say too much at this stage, but its essentially means a flyer has the opportunitity to lie-flat during the flight after take off, although with limitations on the amount of personal space available.. In my head I would squeeze it between economy and business.. Priced something like BA WT+, or SAS Economy Extra but with a lie flat bed..

Let me know what you think..

Thanks,

James
Old Oct 2, 2008, 4:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
I think economy extra sucks worse than I could have imagined had I just heard about it and not been forced to experience it multiple times on my paid C ticket.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by jamesie_version1
Hi guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong area, Im not sure where to put it.

I am a final year masters engineering student who has the needs to manufacture/design a novel-ish mechanical product.. Combining my love of flying with my hatred of economy class I've thought of a new idea, and am looking for you advice/views on whether its a good idea.

I don't want to say too much at this stage, but its essentially means a flyer has the opportunitity to lie-flat during the flight after take off, although with limitations on the amount of personal space available.. In my head I would squeeze it between economy and business.. Priced something like BA WT+, or SAS Economy Extra but with a lie flat bed..

Let me know what you think..

Thanks,

James
Hi James,
You have to remember many of us on FT are "road warriers", and comments on E seating may be touchy..... That said, it's not in "our" (FT) relm as to how to make the Economy experience pleasant...... It is all about economics, and what people will pay for. United has Economy Plus (E+), allowing a little extra legroom, which for me on TATL flights is a Godsend. But, I get that as an elite.

It is available to others as a buy-up, but I don't see many going that route. Mom and Pop want the lowest price.

So, your question becomes what will people pay for. Airlines are interested in revenue! Describe your idea, and how it will make money for XX! You will get plenty of responses.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 5:51 pm

This sounds a bit like the triple bunks that Lufthansa is considering on their A380. Google airbus triple bunk for pictures.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 6:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
business class by shifts?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 6:26 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Originally Posted by SensFan
This sounds a bit like the triple bunks that Lufthansa is considering on their A380. Google airbus triple bunk for pictures.
If they can work out the logistics (how does the top bunk person get up/down) and safety issues (how to seatbelt a person lying flat) it would be a big step in air travel.

I like the idea and definitely would enjoy having the option ^
Old Oct 3, 2008, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies, and the apologies for the mere mention of economy class

I wasn't aware of the LH triple bunk! I thought I had a great idea - although my idea involves a seat coverting to bunk beds after say dinner mid-flight instead of fixed beds.. I reckon I can provide these 2 bunk beds in the size of 2 economy extra seats, possibly slightly more than 2 when i get down to sizes.. I realise that airlines are strapped at the minute, but an airline who can offer a flat bed at an economy price are bound to get a lot of interest.. I know my previous company would never dream of flying employees business class, but could possibly streach to economy sleeper at times...

Thanks,

James
Old Oct 3, 2008, 3:39 pm

My god, those bunks (on the Airbus, not yet what you describe, James) remind me of a prison --or sleep-away camp. I hate sleeping in coach seats but I don't know if I could handle those "wards," either.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 4:03 pm

Sleepaway camp-that's the first thing I thought of too!!! And yeah, frankly, I'd rather sit. I can't sleep on planes anyway, although if they had those sleeping capsule-type things that they have in Japan, where you'd just crawl in and there's enough headroom to basically sit up for most people and you'd just sleep and it's got a TV and stuff. I guess kind of like crew rests.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 4:32 pm

Programs: AF-PC; UA Plat ; QA Gold; Etihad Gold ; EK Silver; HH Diamond; Accor Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat; Mov G
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

not a new idea. It just doesn't fit with business model

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.