Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Was there ever a time when access to US carrier's lounges were free for elites?

Old Sep 24, 2008, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M

If just curious as to what the reaction from the public was like when it was stopped, who started the fees and how quickly did the others follow.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
DL used to give Platinums complimentary Crown Room access until 2006.

Several airlines do still give out free lounge membership if you fly enough. I think on DL you can get it with 150k EQMs. On UA, you get lifetime Red Carpet Club at 2MM. I'm pretty sure NW offers it as an Elite ExtraPerks benefit. I know US Airways has offered it in the past at 150k miles.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Yes. I received complimentary lounge access to the TWA Ambassador's Club, the Pan Am Clipper Club and the UA Lounge (which I think was originally called the 100K Club, but I could be wrong).
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes, with alliance statuses I can access AA, UA and US lounges
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
When I was a US Chairman's Preferred back in the mid-90s I believe that one of the perks was US Club membership....
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:44 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
That time is now! Just get yourself a non-US frequent flyer elite card.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:54 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I believe that, before the 70s, some airline lounges were only for that carrier's frequent travelers and were open only for them but were gratis. IIRC, later government regulations required that the lounges be opened to all who wished to buy memberships.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
USAir had lounge/club access as part of its Chairman's Preferred elite benefits for a few years. They discontinued it, but continued to give CP's legacy access as long as they maintained the status. I had a one-year lapse to Gold, so I lost it in 2004 or so. I don't know if the perk survived the bankruptcies - I suspect it didn't.

Taking it away just added to the list of why people left US - no big reaction that I recall. I suspect it was swamped by the other takeaways, plus it was only CP, not Silver/Gold, so a relatively small population.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
On a related note, when did US carriers start charging for alcohol domestically/internationally? I live in the US now but before 2005 was living in the UK and my occasional forays with domestic flights in the US were in F.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Fraser
On a related note, when did US carriers start charging for alcohol domestically/internationally? I live in the US now but before 2005 was living in the UK and my occasional forays with domestic flights in the US were in F.
Domestically it has been quite a while. For international flights, it has just been within the last few years. Here is a thread where UA started charging for all but transpac in Jan 05, and another where they eliminated that exception just this past August.

Here is a thread that says that NW dropped it trans Atlantic in Jun 06, and was already charging trans Pacific before that.

Other threads say CO started summer of 02, with DL quickly following a few months later.

I could be wrong, but I think that was the last exception to charging. And it boggles my mind that UA and US (possibly others) also charge for drinks in their lounges.

Last edited by djk7; Sep 25, 2008 at 12:35 pm Reason: Added NW info., Added CO/DL info.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by djk7
Domestically it has been quite a while. For international flights, it has just been within the last few years. Here is a thread where UA started charging for all but transpac in Jan 05, and another where they eliminated that exception just this past August.

Here is a thread that says that NW dropped it trans Atlantic in Jun 06, and was already charging trans Pacific before that.

Other threads say CO started summer of 02, with DL quickly following a few months later.
Thanks for the info ^

I flew UA across the pond in E+ in summer 2004 and thought I paid for a beer but I guess not.

Originally Posted by djk7
And it boggles my mind that UA and US (possibly others) also charge for drinks in their lounges.
As a BA Gold I get drinks vouchers if I visit Admirals Clubs regardless of where I'm going but accessing US Clubs and RCCs on my BD Gold card I only get vouchers if flying internationally.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Fraser
accessing US Clubs and RCCs on my BD Gold card I only get vouchers if flying internationally.
I think you also have to successfully arm-wrestle the lounge dragons to get the vouchers.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 1:07 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Wow, this is such a SAD thread!
Here in SA, I get free lounge acess as a SA Elite (applies from Silver onwards).
Everyone (yes, even in Y!) gets free in-flight drinks (OK, not unlimited but still). And you dont have to buy your food either...
Of course free alcohol (as much as you want) in the lounge as well.
I am not suggesting that air travel here is old-fashioed glamorous. But at least it's bearable .
Only when you fly an LCC do you pay .
Old Sep 26, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Yes, with alliance statuses I can access AA, UA and US lounges
On domestic flights?

i.e. AA access for example is usually only on an INT interary, unless in J/F.

but you probably also have QP membership which seems to work in some places as well?
Old Sep 26, 2008, 7:56 am

Mid tier elite status on any oneworld airline except AA gives you lounge access when flying AA domestically. If it makes you feel better we're used to much nicer lounges so it doesn't feel like we're getting much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.