Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

shortest flight USA to europe?

shortest flight USA to europe?

Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by craz
if there are people in the OPs party with circulation problems the last thing Id want to do is fly on 757 which is 1 aisle. I wouldnt set foot onto anything but a Wide-body where they will be able to walk around and even have a few places to stand and hang.
Good point. AA and others run widebodies out of JFK to LHR. Another possibility, which is a bit longer, is to take UA out of Washington to London. On UA they could pay the slight extra charge for economy plus on an 777 widebody. This would give them substantially more legroom compared to coach.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My advice if the OP wants the shortest transatlantic sector is to get a daytime flight such as leaving the east coast in the morning and arriving LHR in the evening. Those short overnight transatlantic are brutal as you have a very short amount of time to sleep.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 5:37 pm

Programs: Independent
Not knowing the OP's exact issues, I still stand by the idea that Iceland Air will give you a break when flying. As it doesn't look like overall time is a crucial factor, then you can even work it out with a days stopover in Iceland (although not what I would likely do in December). coming from SFO, I would probably recommend a flight with a layover to one of the east coast cities (Boston, NYC, or Washington), and book that separately. It might be more expensive, but take the extra day for more comfort and a little sightseeing.

Another idea is to look into Premium Economy flights. Christmas Break might be expensive, but off season they can be had for a decent amount. Most European Carriers are going to use a domestic for travel within the US anyway, so go economy on those seats, with a connection, and then get Premium for the long leg across the pond. That gives you the benefit of a larger plane and less claustrophobia.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Another idea is to look into Premium Economy flights.
Or indeed discounted business class. If you look hard enough and book in advance, you may well be able to find sub-$2000 fares between NYC and most parts of Europe. In fact, the current cheapest published fare NYC-PAR is just $1087 return plus taxes and charges (L'Avion/OpenSkies).

Last edited by graraps; Sep 22, 2008 at 5:24 am Reason: added pricing info
Old Sep 23, 2008, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Wink Wow, thank you very much everybody!!!

I very much appreciate all your kind advice. Right now, my head is spinning from all the different options we could take.

I decided to make a spreadsheet (yes, I'm a nerd like that) to try and make heads & tails over everything.

I'll keep y'all posted. Just in case anyone else has any other ideas, please, please keep posting since we need to examine each and every angle before we book.

Just a few of the things we need to focus on are:
-circulation problems
we have several people with problems, so the shorter the flight, the better. we don't care if it takes 2-3 days to go from SFO - London or Nice, our goal is take as short a flight as possible to lessen the health issue.

-cruises are out.
we did the math & so far, found the QE2 out of NY is the shortest I've found so far to cross into Europe, 6 days. that would have been fine, but we have to back too & that'll be another 6 days, which doesn't leave us much time for the actual land experience in Europe.

Thanks again and please keep posting. Take care. :-:
Old Sep 26, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by maiolo
Just a few of the things we need to focus on are:
-circulation problems
we have several people with problems, so the shorter the flight, the better. we don't care if it takes 2-3 days to go from SFO - London or Nice, our goal is take as short a flight as possible to lessen the health issue.
A stopover in Iceland allows the shortest flight times, but is not sufficiently shorter than other options to make it worth the extra hassle (and extra flights) IMO.

JFK-KEF scheduled duration is 5:45, which is an insignificant saving over BOS-DUB scheduled at 6:00. I would advise a daytime flight so that you can sleep in beds and not cramped airline seats.

BOS-DUB nonstops are all redeyes (overnight flights) so I'd go for BOS-LHR scheduled duration 6:20 in the daytime. British Airways and American offer these and both arrive in London around 8pm so you don't have try and keep awake for hours until the sun sets.

To break up the SFO-BOS leg, try Minnesota (NW) or Chicago (UA or AA). You can probably get a multi-city fare on AA (SFO-ORD-BOS-LHR) much cheaper than buying individual point-to-point tickets.

hth

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.