Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you tip the the airline's lost luggage delivery service?

Do you tip the the airline's lost luggage delivery service?

Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by pbjag
Curious what other Flyertalkers think and what you normally do.
I really, really don't. I tip people who have performed a service for me when I have asked them to perform that service. As another poster pointed out, I never asked to have my bags misplaced. And as airlines start charging for the first checked bag, I can see fewer and fewer people being willing to even consider it.

I had always assumed these drivers were paid decently through an airline contract.

Last edited by OffToOz; Jun 30, 2008 at 12:50 pm
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:42 pm

I've had bags delivered because they missed the flight (commuter jet, no room for all the luggage with a full flight). It never even crossed my mind that I should tip the guy, and he never made any indication that he expected it. Quite frankly, the guy asking to have the gratuity left on the door would irritate me enough that I wouldn't do it anyways. (And quite honestly, they guy appologized for being as late at night as he was, said he'd been extremely busy, but didn't mind because the airline was paying him very well to do this).

I consider it to be an extension of the airline's responsibility to get my bags to me, and shouldn't require any additional outlay of cash on my part for it.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by brendog
I always gave him $10 and coffee, as he saved me from having to lug my heavy bags out to remote parking after a long week. I was on a first name basis with the US baggage office folks at MHT as well. I generally had 3 or 4 completely filled out forms, minus the flight info, in my briefcase, which made the entire process a breeze.
Maybe they started deliberately not putting your bags out, so the delivery guy would get a tip!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 1:03 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
About 2001 I had an airline lose a bag on my flight home from Christmas. I had flown into MKE, then drove over 180 miles to the wife's family for the first few days (between MSN & DBQ)

One checked bag didn't make it to MKE, and when it arrived hours later the airline paid a taxi to deliver the bag. When the bag arrived at 2am, I noticed the delivery was made by a taxi driver and I asked if he was being paid metered rate for delivery (360 miles RT!) He smiled and said nope, they only pay us the metered fare for one way! With a wink and a smile he was gone.

Average taxi in MKE is about $1.20 a mile so that guy got $215+ for delivery of my bag; more than the plane ticket had cost!

And NO, I would never tip for delivery of a lost bag!

On another trip back a bag was lost, but instead of driving it across the state, they flew the bag back to a hub city, then on to MSN for delivery, of course by that time Mrs. MKEbound and I were back on the East half of the state so they had to fly the bag back to MKE for delivery.

Last edited by MKEbound; Jun 30, 2008 at 1:08 pm
Old Jun 30, 2008, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Maybe they started deliberately not putting your bags out, so the delivery guy would get a tip!
Very possible. I thought it was well worth a ten spot just to see an old Astro van make it up my driveway during mud season. My truck stayed in 4x4 from November through May on the road and driveway. I have no clue as to how he did it.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This just happened to me (not my first lost luggage, but the first time that it was not dropped at my house while I was working). UA lost one of my car seats and gave me a loner car seat. The next day I was called to the valet section to get my car seat and exchange the loner. After we traded the delivery guy just stood there. I didn't see the point of tipping since I would not have tipped someone if it arrived on time with the flight.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Elizabeth W.
Can't say I've ever done it. It hasn't even occurred to me to do so until I read this post.

The reason why it never crossed my mind to tip is because I assume they are being paid by the airline to return bags. Also, when I do tip people, it's in return for some favor or service that I requested. I never ask to have my bags lost.
+1

I've only had my checked baggage lost once, but it was for four days of a week-long, walking vacation, and my walking shoes were in the checked luggage as I typically wear flip-flops through airport security. I had to go out and buy a brand new pair of walking shoes so that my entire week wasn't ruined, and needless to say, I wouldn't tip for such an inconvenience, even though it was the airline's fault, not the delivery driver's.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:25 pm

Smile tipping

Just so people know. The airline doesnt pay worth crap for anyone to deliver your luggage. that why so many people have to wait so long. Most of the delivery services are their own company not owned by the airlines. they keep folding cause of low pay by the airlines. I got paid 1.25 per delivery plus i had to cover my own gas. this after they told me I would get 10 per delivery. None of the guys I worked with ever asked for or expected tips but it was nice from time to time to get a tip or at least a smile and a thanks. Dont kill the messenger.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by slg1999
Just so people know. The airline doesnt pay worth crap for anyone to deliver your luggage. that why so many people have to wait so long. Most of the delivery services are their own company not owned by the airlines. they keep folding cause of low pay by the airlines. I got paid 1.25 per delivery plus i had to cover my own gas. this after they told me I would get 10 per delivery. None of the guys I worked with ever asked for or expected tips but it was nice from time to time to get a tip or at least a smile and a thanks. Dont kill the messenger.
I'm sorry but I don't really care how much the airline pays to deliver my lost/delayed bags to me. I just expect to get my bags promptly. If they don't pay you enough, get a new job.

If someone tells you they are going to pay you $X and then only pay you $Y, then you take that up with the company and (perhaps) legal counsel if you have a contract or anything in writing, not my problem.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:11 pm

I don't think a customer who receives delivery of lost luggage is under any obligation whatsoever to tip a driver who's delivering that baggage.

But there are moments in life that call for graciousness. Most likely, a person victimized by lost luggage has a more fortunate station in the world than the guy delivering a bag at 10:00pm, possibly in inclement weather. One party is traveling the skies, often for leisure. The other is dropping off heavy baggage at all hours to people who, quite often, are pissy when he shows up.

Should you be taxed for having been screwed by a carrier? Of course not. But sometimes transactions occur when we don't summon them. That's life.

So if that guy does the job, calls when he's an hour away, delivers the bigass bag inside the house, does it in good spirits, that warrants some gratitude.

From me, at least.

But I would never begrudge anyone who didn't tip in this situation.

Last edited by kfastuff; Jun 20, 2011 at 10:17 pm
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Whether or not you are "supposed" to tip, it is exceptionally poor form for the guy to hustle you for a tip by telling you on the phone that you can leave your gratuity with the note.

He probably has a deal with the airline that forbids him from charging you money or from hustling tips. The airline hired him, the airline is responsible for his actions, and you should feel free to complain to them that their contractor acted unprofessionally by strongly suggesting that you should compensate him for delivering the late bag.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:38 pm

Is there something about this thread that causes it to pop back up at about the same time every year? June 2008, June 2009, June 2010, and now June 2011. Is more luggage lost in June?

And (to stay on-topic), no, I've never tipped when my lost luggage was finally returned to me.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by pbjag
Just received a call from DL baggage service @ 10 pm asking for directions. They said it may be a few hours before they get to my place,so if I did not wish to be disturbed, to leave a note and the gratuity on the door. He then belabored the point "of course, there is no obligation, but a gratuity would very much be appreciated."
Oops!

He just invoked my rule - "if you ask for a tip or mention one in any way, you definitely do not get one".

Though it's not a situation I would really consider one anyway, no more than any other parcel delivery agent.

Neil
Old Jun 24, 2011, 7:53 pm

I just recently had a bag delayed by an airline and it did not even occur to me that I would be expected to tip the delivery person.

That just strikes me as out of the question. The airline has already imposed a cost on me by delaying access to my bag -- expecting me to tip the delivery person who has already been contracted by the airline to deliver my bag is pure chutzpah. If airlines are not paying delivery companies or drivers enough, frankly, that is a matter for them to work out on their own.

A generous person is perfectly free to tip however he or she wants but it should not be expected.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Yes, my bag has been lost and (later) delivered on several occasions (Usually CO/LH). I never tip the delivery persons.
They always seem to deliver at unGodly hours (1-4AM).
They give crazy arrival windows "Anytime from 9PM through 3AM".

But, they have always been courteous folks. Only once, I felt real bad...as it was a much older gentleman....I went to his car and hauled my bags myself.
(but sorry, no tips).

I think the airline is definitely responsible for tipping in these situations (if outsourced to some other agency).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.