Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which country doesn't do exit stamp beside US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which country doesn't do exit stamp beside US?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:37 am

Programs: AF; DL; & SQ FF Programs
M y passport is loaded with stamps to and from Singapore and Malaysia. Cuba stamps a separate card on the way out so that you are not hassled forevermore by immigration. I was not stamped going in or out of Austria either when I was going directly to the US or when going through France, but when going to Bratislava I was stamped.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Later in the 1980's and throughout the 1990's, UK immigration hardly even looked at EU passports. More recently, they started having a closer look and they scan the passport.
Yes, I think the days of just waving the cover of your passport at the UK immigration officer are over. I always thought it was a bit of a waste of time: after all, how did they even know that it was really yours?
Old Jun 29, 2008, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sjoerd, it would seem that you are assuming quite a few things. Curacao is not a country either, yet you seem to accept it for these purposes. Brazil? yes I made a dumb mistake and admitted it, having LIVED in Brazil, I know/;knew full well that they did in fact stamp on the way out, a silly error on my part which I admitted, something that many here seem unable to do. I also went on to say that what I was doing was off the top of my head, quite frankly I am too busy to go through multiple passports [personalized remarks deleted by moderator]. Considering the fact that there are about 22 Caribbean countries which I have NOT named that do not stamp passports (at least for N. American citizens, especially as until recently they didn't even require a passport for entry, and for that matter and that soon those from the US entering by land or sea will only need a passport card for entry) [Personalized remarks deleted by moderator.]

In any case this is a spurious debate, as this whole subject related as much to where the traveller comes form as to who stamps or doesn't stamp. Have a Jordanian passport, almost by definition one gets a stamp in many/most places as one needs a visa to most countries in the first place (for example).

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 1, 2008 at 9:54 pm Reason: To remove unneeded personalized comments.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by hfly
Camsean,Then your travel is limited, is not global and is a subjective opinion that doesn't really relate to the title or pattern of this thread.
No it's not an opinion. It is a factual account of my experience on exiting the 44 different countries in my current passport. Just how do those 44 countries not relate to "which country doesn't do exit stamps beside the US". BTW 44 countries is almost 25% of the countries in the world. So I can see what you mean by not global.

But of course your travel is global, isn't limited and isn't subjective.

I really don't understand what's at stake for you in having to be agreed with on this subject. [Needlessly personalized remarks deleted by moderator].

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 1, 2008 at 9:52 pm Reason: See above
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well it depends on what you are talking about.....UN member states 192? Or more in the spirit of ths thread a country or teritory that maintains its own border entry and exit, places such as Hong Kong, Macao, a dozen Caribbean territories and many others come to mind. So you are in fact going on 230 or so without going into really funky ones that are recognized by no one or perhaps just one country.......Northern Cyprus, South Ossetia and the like. And I am not even getting into intra-country distinctions like East and West Malaysia where there is passport control between the two and your passport does not get stamped (something in your neighborhood). Leaving out the funky ones you've been to less than 20%, and you yourself admitted that they are mostly in the developing world, where of course bureaucracy is heavier, so one would expect these things. Again, it all comes down to perspective and as I have now stated TWICE, to some extent what passport you hold. Therefore no two peoples experience is necessarily the same.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 5:23 am

I guess I should really just finish this discussion with the idea that you are font on all on knowledge on this subject and even though "no two peoples experience is necessarily the same" yours is the more valid 'opinion'.

I can only aspire to the broadness of experience that you possess. [unduly personalized remark edited by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 1, 2008 at 9:49 pm Reason: See above.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:01 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Friendly moderator reminder

To help keep this thread open, may we please focus on the thread's subject of exit stamping and not on arguments with each other or other undue personalization? Thank you! Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I've gotten through Singapore without either an entry or exit stamp (or even the passport being opened!) but that's not the norm.
Out of curiosity, how'd you manage that? Private boat charter?

And apropos the original topic, I've once managed the opposite: an exit stamp without an entry stamp. Hungary had apparently just stopped stamping EU visitors at the airport, but the message hadn't filtered through to the train guys yet...
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Immigration officials in some countries are (or rather were) quite happy to either add a post-it note type page to your passport and stamp it on entry, then remove it for you on departure. This is a great system and when combined with artful ticketing techniques prevents the slimy american authorities from knowing exactly where you have been ^
Old Jul 3, 2008, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by jpatokal
I've once managed the opposite: an exit stamp without an entry stamp.
I believe that also happens frequently if you take the train from Singapore to Malaysia. Last week as we were entering Malaysia, no Malaysia stamp on entry (they stamp the white immigration card instead). Passports were stamped on exit at the Causeway checkpoint.

Also, I've entered Myanmar without any stamps. At the border crossing at Tachilek(Myanmar)/Mae Sai(Thailand), they stamp a white loose piece of paper (which you conveniently must "buy" from immigration) instead. They take said piece of paper back at exit.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Out of curiosity, how'd you manage that? Private boat charter?
No, perfectly ordinary trip. I've explained what happened in this thread.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
No, perfectly ordinary trip. I've explained what happened in this thread.
Sorry, somehow managed to miss that. I presume this happened quite a while back though? These days I can't see Sg immigration at the airport ever just waving somebody through. And while I can see that happening at the Singapore train station, that's because these days only the (stampless) Malaysian immigration is located there; you still have to go through Singapore exit immigration afterwards at Woodlands.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, somehow managed to miss that. I presume this happened quite a while back though? These days I can't see Sg immigration at the airport ever just waving somebody through. And while I can see that happening at the Singapore train station, that's because these days only the (stampless) Malaysian immigration is located there; you still have to go through Singapore exit immigration afterwards at Woodlands.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 2:33 pm

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
Republic of Palau and Yap (part of the Federated States of Micronesia) both give the old stamperoonie on the way out.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by docklander
Republic of Palau and Yap (part of the Federated States of Micronesia) both give the old stamperoonie on the way out.
But there is so little traffic there it keep the officials employed!

Glen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.