Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2008, 6:03 am

Yes, this happened to me on a LACSA flight from Tegucigalpa to San Jose several years ago. One of the engines blew seconds before lift off. We were not able to leave until the next day.
Old May 14, 2008, 6:42 am

Programs: Foodland Maika'i Plastic Card, DL GM when it meant something
At LGA, we start accelerating at full thrust. Must have been about 80-90 kts when all of the sudden, the engines go right to idle. But no brakes. We just coast all the way down to the far end of the runway, turn on to the taxiway and head back to where we came from.

We pax were all scratching our heads trying to figure out what happened, until the pilot finally comes on with an explaination. It turns out that after we had started our roll, ATC had urgently come on the radio and said something to the effect of "Oh, we're sorry, when we gave you clearance to take off, we really didn't mean it. Could you please pull off the runway and go to the rear of the (45-minutes-before-you-get-to-takeoff-again) line?" Ugh and duh.
Old May 14, 2008, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Yup, both times on a 737.
Old May 14, 2008, 6:48 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Yep

see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...410&highlight=
Old May 14, 2008, 10:41 am

Programs: NWA PE
Yup, experienced it plenty of times, but never on a commercial flight; always while doing flight testing for work. And the term is RTO (rejected takeoff).
Old May 14, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
Originally Posted by LarryJ
You are comitted to the takeoff BEFORE the nose is lifted (called rotation). It may have felt as though the nose was going up but if you really did abort after rotation it is unlikely that the airplane was in a condition that would ever allow it to fly again by the time you came to a stop.

The "A-Side"? The technical term for that is "left side".
I'm pretty sure we were just about getting nose up, I was sitting on the A-side/left side wing (not behind the wing) and it was angled when there was boom sound followed by some flames ripping out of the back of the plane.

Made my job easier, I was working as a news photog at the time for a large international wire service. We evacuated, I shot photos of my fellow pax getting off, some shots of the fire trucks......send off the film, slept and hour and caught another flight home.

Having shot around multiple plane crashes in my news career, including being the pool photog in the make shift morgue for a 747 that blew up, I'm not keen on being on crashing planes. I'd rather shoot news than be news.

.........and left side for whom? Patient Left or Practitioner Left?
Old May 14, 2008, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Happened to me once, in the early 1990s, on a BA 767 departing IAD. We were 20 to 30 seconds into the takeoff roll and creeping up toward V1 when the crew threw both engines into idle and stood on the brakes. We were told they had a warning light related to the thrust reversers. As this was a short time after the Lauda Air 767 loss traced to a thrust reverser deploying in flight, we were quite happy to return to the gate for inspection. We took off about three hours late, but uneventfully.
Old May 14, 2008, 11:00 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Never had an aborted takeoff attempt, but I did experience an aborted landing attempt.

Korean Air, 747, Seoul - JFK. We took off an hour late from Seoul due to weather in NY (you know the weather's going to be bad if weather at the landing site is affecting takeoffs 12 hours away). Anyway, as anticipated, the flight was very rough at the end; the pilot had the crew prepare the cabin for landing an hour early, so they could be strapped-in before even the initial descent.

On approach, crosswinds were strong, and cloud cover didn't break-up until we were seconds from wheels-down (disconcerting for a passenger, because passengers don't fly with "instruments"). Speaking for myself, I was white-knuckling it on approach because that 747 was jitterin' and jivin'. Anyway, mere feet from touchdown, I felt and heard the engines very quickly cycle to full throttle, the nose pointed up, and we shot for the sky. Very odd feeling, I can assure you.

We climbed for several minutes before the pilot apologized, saying something like, "Sorry, folks, but it was just a touch too rough there are the end. We're going to circle for a few minutes and try that again." Try again, we did. It was rough, but the pilot got us on the ground. I think I lost a couple of pounds in sweat the second go-around. Given the length of the flight, I imagine we were thisclose to being re-routed. While we were taxiing to the gate, at one point I had a view of a BA plane coming in for a landing. The plane started to move sideways just before it landed, and my heart raced before I realized it probably was the pilot shielding the plane from the wind or something like that.
Old May 14, 2008, 11:34 am

Once (almost twice!) on one flight ...

... on an AA 727 (yes, that long ago) departing EWR. Compressor stall on #2 with a loud BANG just before rotation - aborted takeoff, taxied around to the gate area - no issues reported to us pax. Got back in line, uneventful take-off roll, just after rotation & before starting the clearing turn, another loud BANG as #2 stalled again. Apparently it restarted with no problem as we continued our journey. Flight deck offered the opinion that both were caused by unusual winds at EWR. Just what I wanted to know, heading home to OKC ... the windiest city in the country (Chicago's rep notwithstanding).
Old May 14, 2008, 12:01 pm

Once on a 737, door indicator light came on during takeoff roll. Apparently, the vibration triggered the light, as the door had not been tightly closed. I now double check all my doors.
Old May 14, 2008, 12:16 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Take a look at this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...43939212729970

Someone filmed an aborted take off and has subtitled it some really annoying comments..
Old May 14, 2008, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Twice: DL 767 engine failure of some kind in PDX. The other one was worse - NW DC10 engine exploded about halfway down the runway in PHX - hot metal parts were spewing out the back of one of the underwing pods.
Old May 14, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by sefrischling
I'm pretty sure we were just about getting nose up
"Just about getting the nose up" would be before rotation.

I was sitting on the A-side/left side wing (not behind the wing) and it was angled
That would be normal during acceleration.

and left side for whom? Patient Left or Practitioner Left?
The airplane's left.

Originally Posted by Deacon
just after rotation & before starting the clearing turn, another loud BANG as #2 stalled again. Apparently it restarted with no problem as we continued our journey.
A compressor stall is not the same thing as an engine stall in a reciprocating engine. The stall is very brief, just the 'bang', then the engine continues to run. If the circumstances causing the stall continue then you'll have multiples stalls, 'bang...bang...bang...bang...", until the cause is removed.

The #2 engine on the 727 was prone to compressor stalls due to the S-duct through which the incoming air had to pass.
Old May 14, 2008, 4:58 pm
yad

Programs: CO Plat
happened once to me on an 8-seater on a SHORT runway in alaska. not so much fun, but everyone was OK...
Old May 14, 2008, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Yup, both times on a 737.
You had two aborted rolls? You flight so much aren't you ever afraid you are not going to meet another safety statistic?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.