Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anybody get sick day after a flight?

Anybody get sick day after a flight?

Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:10 am

Seems like people get sick not so much from cabin air itself than other variables (low pressure and cabin dryness).

Interestingly, the air might actually be cleaner than the air in your own home. If I am not mistaken, the air you get inside a plane is 50% recycled and 50% fresh from the engine compressor. Furthermore, most (but not all) commercial aircraft in the US are fitted with filters called HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) with effectively removes microscopic particles, bacteria and viruses.

Of course, its not perfect. If you seat next to or within several rows of someone with an infectious disease spread by airborne transmission, then you might be at risk, as TB or SARs demonstrated. Although arguably the greater risk of infection comes from diseases that spread not by air but by physical contact. From touching another passenger with the illness or eating airline meals with contaminated eating utensils.

And of course, there is the nasty danger of getting food-borne illness from the meal you ate on the plane. Can you imagine the horror of having 200+ passengers all suffering from food poisoning and having to go to the toilet more or less at the same time? Thankfully, such incidents are relatively rare (as food safety regulations for airline meals are fairly stringent) but it has occurred in the past.

Lest I scare all of you here, the risk of catching something from your last flight is still reasonably low, and chances are getting sick soon after a flight might be from another cause.

Last edited by WindowSeat123; Sep 7, 2014 at 8:49 am
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I think WS123 has it right - there are many variables, of which cabin air is one.

I travel all over, many third world countries, usually in economy class, but nothing makes me ill more than when I come home and my wife (primary /elementary teacher) has just gone back to work. Those kids seem to communicate everything going.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Bumping this thread because I got sick again. Did a search for getting sick after flights and this thread popped up so looks like I am not the only one.

It is odd, I don't get sick after every flight, but sure enough for the past few years every early fall flight I have had I have gotten sick.

back in 2013 I flew a multi city Honolulu, columbus Ohio trip in September, about the day after getting home I was down with allergies. It was a sore throat, body aches, runny nose.

Last year I flew a multi city at the beginning of October to salt lake city and seattle, sure enough got sick the day after I got home, as a matter of fact actually started to feel the lump in my throat stuffiness on the flight back home.

Then sure enough yesterday I got home from Burbank/Pasadena, and Phoenix. I am out of work today sick with a sore throat and a runny nose. I started feeling sick last night right after I got home.

It only happens the first flight I take in September or October of that year, coincidence or pure chance?

All my life I have had allergies and would usually get sick for a few days right about the time the seasons change in the fall and sometimes in the spring. Sometimes, but not always.

Perhaps being in a metal tube with strangers at this time of year is what does me in when I tend to get sick around this time of year with sneezing, runny nose, sore throat symptoms?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
I get sick a lot after flights and I've tried everything.

Got back from a SNA-SLC flight on Oct. 5 and I'm still fighting a nasty head cold that's moved to my chest.

Sometimes I think flying encourages the spread of diseases. Will I stop. No.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I used to get sick flying transpac to the Philippines. I started using Airborne gummy lozenges starting a week before and throughout the journey in the mid 2000's. Ended up not being sick except the one year I could not find the lozenges. Coincidence? I think not.

I don't like the fizzy nature the drops give like alka seltzer, and will not use them. Now, I use the chewables or hard drops that are available. Working in the airport transport industry, I have found the Increased Vitamin C helps me from getting sick when dealing with hundreds of customers a month. I also keep hand sanitizer available to sanitize my hands when touching surfaces that may be touched by sick people. I would suggest bringing some aboard that meets the allowable TSA Liquid regulations.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
This is purely anecdotal, but the couple of times I've felt a cold coming on in the past year I've popped zinc lozenges and doing seems to have stopped the illness. The first time involved a flight. IIRC, I felt the first signs at the end of the flight, then within an hour had a really runny nose, congestion, etc. Got to a friend's place and he gave me a zinc lozenge. The symptoms began to go away within an hour. I took another later that day and then one or two more the next day, and the cold never came back.

Again, just one very minor data point, if it even counts as that. But I thought I'd put it out there.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
I just ordered some Airborne and Zinc lozenges from Amazon Prime. I'm willing to try anything.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:29 am
Suspended

Everytime I have a long flight I'm hungover the next day. Oddly, it almost seems worse when I fly first class.

Headache can easily be dehydration. You lose a cup an hour of fluid in flight. Drink lots of water before during and after.

For the rest, are you in good cardiovascular shape? The cabin pressurizes to 10k or so feet. It could be that causing you problems, but a doctor might be able to tell you if that is caused by a bigger problem.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
I tend to be very gaseous after I fly. Generally when I check into the hotel it's a rush to the bathroom. That's about the only problem, though.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:48 pm

Doesn't always happen, but happens often enough that it's a "thing" for me....

The day after an evening flight I wake up and I have sore muscles in my legs, back, neck, etc. I drink tons of water, I get up and walk around/stretch on the flight and yet still, next morning, muscle pain. The weird thing is this never happens with a morning flight, so it has to be something like my body needs a few hours post-flight to get back in shape and if I go to sleep before this happens, the next day I'm sore.

It's not a huge deal, it's not like I can't get out of bed, more like what you'd feel after an intense workout.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:06 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Yeah, this happens to me sometimes - as a matter of fact it just happened last week after my return from HKG. Major head cold - but thankfully it only lasted a day or two.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I try to be very careful not to touch my face/mouth/eyes with my hands and wash them as frequently as I can. I find that when I consciously do this while traveling (on the flight, at the airport, at the hotel, and even at the client site when traveling for business), I stay healthy. When I forget, I almost always get sick.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:22 pm

Flying Planes can make you sick

you should question yourself what What you did on your trip. after-travel illnesses are
Fever , Persistent Diarrhea and skin problems. Be sure to monitor food they serve and proper hygiene inside the plane is observe
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
On numerous occasions--mostly on domestic flights, I end up with a respiratory issue after my flight.

On one long haul international flight on which I was flying business class where life is somewhat cleaner although we all know air travels everywhere within the enclosed space, I could actually feel it coming on as I laid back watching movies. I was sick--in the summer-- once I got home--for 2.5 weeks.

But as said, it is mostly on domestic flights (at least 5 in the past 2 years if not more) and length of flight rarely matters.

~I drink plenty of water.

~I think of myself as relatively healthy and fit most of the time (regular exercise and good eating).

~I rarely drink alcohol on domestic flights as they are shorter and may involve business travel, or in the case of my most recent ski trip out west, we had to drive a long distance after the flight and be on our game for both that and skiing the next day (drinks to be enjoyed in the apres ski bar afterwards of course).

~I wash my hands regularly with soap and water.

~I have taken vitamin C and/or other tablets such as Calcium/Magnesium or other supposed preventative over the counter concoctions.

~I do not smoke.

~I have had sinus infections in my past and I have had coughs and colds in life, but there is no adverse medical history in my chart or in my family history concerning anything like this. I am lucky enough to say I have a clean bill of health and do see the Dr regularly, with check ups and physicals, etc.

It sometimes start off with my getting the chills or the sweats. It then may involve the sniffles but ultimately, a deep cough and some expectorant (think of that cartoon character in the Mucinex commercials). For days or weeks afterward, I can be plagued with this cough and a wheezing and hacking that hurts my chest, wipes me out, and makes me wonder how everybody else flies around, goes to meetings and comes home to see family only to do it all again the next week without ever seeming to have these problems!

What, if any, preventative measures or remedies can people think of aside from:

~not flying.
~wearing a SARS mask.
~spraying everything and everyone around me (if even able to bring any spray on board) all the time.
~flying private jets only.
~being the guy who is someday known as the person responsible for the clean air air act of 2016, which forced airlines to never send a plane out unless it was cleaned by the same people who clean up a nuclear spill.

thoughts welcomed

MM
Old May 8, 2017, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by sunnyjl
This seems to happen to me occasionally, and it's not jet lag...I'm talking about 2 hour flights. This has been going on since I started flying two-three days/week for the last four years.

There are times when I am sick for 1-2 days after flying...lightheadedness, headache, weakness, fatigue, slight nausea. This is a not a virus. It's the same thing every time, and it takes a couple days to get rid of it.

Anybody else experience this? I'm thinking sick air syndrome or something.
Hi my wife seems to be having the same issue, very clearly.
1 day after the flight starts the nausea issues lasts about 2-3 days. She is hydrated!!! Is is rested!!! I make sure I that she cannot wake up until 12noon to help her recoup from flight.
I give her electro lights. She is not expecting.!
She does not drink alcohol or smoke!
I believe 100% it is the lack of oxygen on the flight. I draw my conclusions on the facts, on how I feel also and how attendants turn down the oxygen levels to make everyone go to sleep and keep people on flight in control.
I have had to ask directly pls turn oxygen up pls I am getting sick and will pass out if you do not, you can feel your body change and relax as the levels are restored. This is how you should go to sleep not by being deprived of oxygen.
Not all of us are hot stallions when we board planes, but the airlines have a one rule fits all regardless.
Best to get attendance on side from the time you board about low oxygen levels cause an issue for you, and you kindly appricate that it not be turned down.
Pls post your out come to confirm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.