Disabling motion detector (PIR) in thermostats in hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Originally Posted by toyoman
We all suffered with the same issue at a meeting a couple of years ago at the Intercontinental Hotel in Chicago. The "VIP override" procedure I was able to get out of the maintenance personnel is as follows. I recall it was for an Inncom thermostat, it did work.

- While holding down "display"
- Press "off", then
- Press "Up" arrow
- Release "display" button

This enters the VIP mode which turns off the motion sensor, and allows a lower range of the thermostat so you can get the room really cold.
Print Wikipost

Disabling motion detector (PIR) in thermostats in hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:29 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Plat, United 2P
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jg70124
Worked at a Marriott Residence in Tx, too. Themostat here is "INNCOM" brand.
Another Success for INNCOM at the Sheraton West Denver. Idiots here have the sensor pointing at the bathroom, so even if you are in the room it will still shut off.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:35 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by USPhilly
I hate that about European hotels! I was in FRA for the first time last year and that made for an emabarrassing call to the front desk asking why none of the lights worked. Doh!
I made the same call at a hotel in London last summer, but only after fumbling about the room for ten minutes in the dark.

I could have used an override code in Grand Cayman last month.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
mods, pls delete, duplicate post
Old Jun 27, 2008, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
This thread is brilliant! Have had the 'all power and a/c off' situation in Spain, Japan, the UK and several places in the US.

I don't like it.

Every time I returned to my room at the L A Downtown Marriott it was blazing hot. I found that the maid was turning up the temp on the thermostat. This room also had a gutted and useless mini-fridge and drapes that the maid insisted on keeping open every day making a hot box.

These auto systems really can't be saving any money, can they?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 5:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We recently stayed at the Marriott Bangkok Resort and Spa. We have stayed at many hotels worldwide, this was the first one with the slot just inside your room for your key to activate the electricity and ac.

I didn't realize what it was. I commented to my wife that it was really neat that they put that key slot there to store your key. VERY convenient. My wife did what she does alot: Shook her head and smiled.

I learned the hard war after a day sightseeing when we returned and our room was sweltering.

I felt like an idiot.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
Originally Posted by PorkRind
I worked for a year in Manhattan and stayed at a hotel with those *%$#@ thermostats.

I discovered (after a bit of experimentation) that I could disable the IR sensor by shorting two of the 3 pins that connected it to the main circuitboard. Had to remove the cover, and in the case of this particular model of thermostat, the 3 pins projected from the bottom of the sensor and took a 90 degree turn into the circuitboard. Short the center pin to the right pin and the sensor was bypassed.

A set of RadioShack Mini Clip Jumper Wires did the trick nicely (they come in sets of 2, but you only need one).

I was careful to remove it before leaving the room for the day; it was pretty obvious dangling from the thermostat.

PS. The thermostat cover was usually held on with two hex screws, but a bit of patient wiggling would work the cover loose. Easy to replace, too, with no one the wiser . . .
Talk about a quick trip to the pokey when you short out the hotel.....
Old Aug 4, 2008, 3:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Most of the places (as others have said, not all,) with the card-operated master switch respond quite well to the phoney cards sent by AMEX et al (if not, merely request another keycard.) I use a "Do Not Disturb" sign with the TV set to a sports channel ("Oh, heck, it sounds like there's a guy / guys watching football/ NASCAR / boxing... I'll try next door." just audible if someone approaches the room door close enough to knock or enter, with possibly one light on, as part of my "ad hoc security system" to dissuade anyone bent on theft from entering my room (really, merely deter them to try a room more obviously empty.)

I do try to help with energy savings - I change my thermostat so it does not cool unnecessarily, I do not turn on every light regardless of whether I need it, use only towels I need and do not request changes of bedding and toweling every day - but how I use the electricity (charge items, deter others, etc.) is my choice when I am footing the bill.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by SanDer
Why not just ask for another room key to keep in the slot while you're out? Sometimes not only is the climate control tied to this, but so is the do not disturb indicator. This keeps housekeeping out as well...usually. The key sequence that the OP seeks is probably not a universal one. Interesting workaround PorkRind.
A friend of mine did that while at a Marriott overseas, put in a second key card to keep the room cool. She got a rather "abrupt" note from the management that you can't do that and to not do it again or they would remover her from the room!!!! She went down and kind of had it out with the management, saying that she is the guest and wishes to be comfortable and if that means having her room to 62 degrees then that is what it means. After that they didn't bother her about that second key in the slot........
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by toyoman
We all suffered with the same issue at a meeting a couple of years ago at the Intercontinental Hotel in Chicago. The "VIP override" procedure I was able to get out of the maintenance personnel is as follows. If recall it was for an Inncom thermostat and it did work.

- While holding down "display"
- Press "off", then
- Press "Up" arrow
- Release "display" button

This enters the VIP mode which turns off the motion sensor, and allows a lower range of the thermostat so you can get the room really cold.
Just saved me lots of frustration too! Flytertalk to the rescue once again (and toyoman) :-)
Old Aug 7, 2008, 4:51 pm

Programs: Onepass Platinum
Originally Posted by Louie_LI
My experience is the opposite of yours and Kettering Northants QC. The minibar generally stays on, but more times than not the A/C shuts off and it's rare that any of the outlets (at least those most convenient for recharging computers and phones) stay on.
I agree. I have stayed in far more hotels where removing the card shuts off everything (including AC) than I have where it only shuts off the TV and lights. I had a very frustrating time at a hotel recently where I couldn't even get my laptop or Ipod completely charged for the return flight home. I was never in the room long enough to give everything a full charge and when I removed the card to leave the room, everything went dead except the mini-bar.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by TMOliver
That's almost as offensive as the European hotels with their "key slots" on the wall, in which, unless you insert your room's keycard, there's no 'lectrifizzle, lights, fans, and maybe not telephone.
A couple of business cards in the slot solves the problem. Irritating, but easily solved.

Originally Posted by dll
The keycard in the slot sometimes IS required as I've encountered. Something about the magnetic stripe and coding and what not...in one hotel in Singapore (Raffles The Plaza, I think but may be mistaken), I tried every card in my wallet as well as paper folded up and nothing worked except the key card. Smart system!
Second room key will do the trick - I have come across thsi a couple of times. FF card (with mag strip) worked as well.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
I would actually enjoy "gaming the system" in this case. You'd see me heading to the lobby mens room with my shaving kit. Also, every dump I would take would be in the same lobby mens room.
So let's say you wake up in the middle of the night, need to use the facilities, and instead of using your own convenient ensuite bathroom, you stumble half-naked down to the lobby men's room?

And you inconvenience yourself in this way solely because you want to "game the system?"

Riiiiight...

Anyhow, I'm actually in favor of these energy-saving systems. And it's the wave of the future. Resistance is futile! (I realize that hotels do it to save money, not necessarily because they are as "green" as they would like to claim, but any positive environmental side-effect is welcome.)
Old Sep 23, 2008, 6:59 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
(I realize that hotels do it to save money, not necessarily because they are as "green" as they would like to claim, but any positive environmental side-effect is welcome.)
Seriously, I'm more concerned by my and my family's personal comfort than I am by the doubtful positive side effect of their turning off my AC.

With the rates that hotels charge nowadays...and only likely to increase in the future....let them plant a few trees to offset their guilt in allowing me to be comfortable in my room.

This whole thing is a slippery slope.

First they start with the not changing sheets or towels unless you request it. Next we get this thermostat thing that now seems universal. Next, and you can take this to the bank, hot water will only be available from 6AM until noon so they don't have to keep the boilers running 24/7.

Sound ridiculous? So would have the other "green enhancements" to our hotel room if you'd suggested it 10 years ago.

Don't mean to off-track this thread but, hey, let me decide how green I want to be when I'm staying in a $200/night hotel room.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:47 pm
Suspended

I experienced the same thing at a Residence Inn a while back.

This was in the winter and it was around 30 degree weather with snow falling....

I woke up in the middle of the night freezing. The motion detector was aimed at the living room area. I walked over there and the heat came on again for another couple hours. They told me the heater defaults to 66 degrees after 4 hours without any motion... I ended up keeping the fireplace burning every single night that I was there. It was the worst 10 days I've spent in a hotel.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
I've encountered many hotels with room-keys-for-power setups and I don't recall this system ever interfering with the A/C system. I typically keep my room like an igloo, as I generally sleep better in the cold and fighting jetlag is bad enough without worrying about room temperature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.