Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Disabling motion detector (PIR) in thermostats in hotels

Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Originally Posted by toyoman
We all suffered with the same issue at a meeting a couple of years ago at the Intercontinental Hotel in Chicago. The "VIP override" procedure I was able to get out of the maintenance personnel is as follows. I recall it was for an Inncom thermostat, it did work.

- While holding down "display"
- Press "off", then
- Press "Up" arrow
- Release "display" button

This enters the VIP mode which turns off the motion sensor, and allows a lower range of the thermostat so you can get the room really cold.
Print Wikipost

Disabling motion detector (PIR) in thermostats in hotels

Old Apr 9, 2008, 9:46 am

Wow, You learn something new everyday!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by caspritz78
By the way most hotels only control the lights and TV with the key and not the normal outlets or the AC.
I just got back from Europe, and at the Paris Hilton Arc DeTriomphe and a hotel in Sorrento and a hotel in Florence, when the power went off to the lights, it also went off to all the outlets.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 4:24 pm

Programs: CO Plat, NWA Gold, Delta, Hertz #1, PriorityClub, yadayada
Nope

No actually, every room should have electricity meter and water meter. So the mean greenies like I am don't need to pay as much as people who still think electricity and water magically somehow appears in the outlet or faucet. At least in Europe energy costs are high and on the rise.

By the way most hotels only control the lights and TV with the key and not the normal outlets or the AC.
One should have to pay for the priviledge of telling me how to live my life!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 9:47 pm
J-M
Suspended

Originally Posted by thegeneral
Does the bathroom light and AC need to be on while you're gone all day?
Yes... the AC does need to be on. I have no interest in coming back to a hot room.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 4:39 pm

Smile Override procedures

We all suffered with the same issue at a meeting a couple of years ago at the Intercontinental Hotel in Chicago. The "VIP override" procedure I was able to get out of the maintenance personnel is as follows. I recall it was for an Inncom thermostat, it did work.

- Press "off", then
- Press "Up" arrow

This enters the VIP mode which turns off the motion sensor, and allows a lower range of the thermostat so you can get the room really cold.

Last edited by toyoman; Jun 13, 2008 at 4:54 pm
Old Jun 13, 2008, 4:52 pm

Smile Override Info

We all suffered with the same issue at a meeting a couple of years ago at the Intercontinental Hotel in Chicago. The "VIP override" procedure I was able to get out of the maintenance personnel is as follows. If recall it was for an Inncom thermostat and it did work.

- Press "off", then
- Press "Up" arrow

Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Like others who have posted here, I've stayed in hotels with trickable (any card will work) and non-trickable (only your room keycard works) power switches. If it's wired to shut off the refrigerator when you're gone, it must be a low-budget retrofit.

If you can determine the make and model of an occupancy-sensing thermostat, a Google search for that is likely to find the operation manual, which is likely to list the override sequence of keystrokes.

Meanwhile, a string, thumbtack and mylar balloon sounds like something that to be added to everyone's packing list.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by etch5895
I would be supportive of separate billing for the utilities during a hotel stay, so long as the customer opted for it. Example: Flat rate stay $100/day all inclusive, or $90/day plus your power/water usage. This would reward the thrifty, while letting those who don't wish to worry about it pay a little extra for their usage. I don't know if it would pay to install individual room power/water meters, but it is an idea.

On the other hand, I don't know how much nickel and diming the hotel industry should get into. The airlines are trying this now, and I don't like the idea of having to pay extra for your seat assignment.
I would actually enjoy "gaming the system" in this case. You'd see me heading to the lobby mens room with my shaving kit. Also, every dump I would take would be in the same lobby mens room.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
I would be supportive of separate billing for the utilities during a hotel stay, so long as the customer opted for it.
Pity the poor desk staff, who would have to deal with a whole new category of (usually but not always) legitimate complaints:

"The toilet ran all night, why should I have to pay for all that wasted water?"
"The A/C must have been low on refrigerant, we had to run it all the time to keep the room cool. Why should I have to pay for all that extra power?"
"We only ran one light bulb, and only until 9 PM. How could our utility bill be that high?!"

The idea of individual unit metering has merit, but I don't see a hotel chain wanting to go there.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The idea of splitting the cot is the schmuckiest I have ever heard. Hasn't everyone seen what happens when prices go A La Carte? They don;t decreae. They stay by the old base price and then tack on fees for everything that was included before. Haven;t you people seen what has happened with the airlines?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:18 pm
2jc

Originally Posted by toyoman
- Press "off", then
- Press "Up" arrow

Just tried this at a Marriott with an Inncom thermostat and it looks like it worked. The screen displayed "VIP" for a few seconds, then switched back to the regular temperature display. Cool.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 2:01 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
I would actually enjoy "gaming the system" in this case. You'd see me heading to the lobby mens room with my shaving kit. Also, every dump I would take would be in the same lobby mens room.
There might be a line...
Old Jun 18, 2008, 3:46 am

My experience is the opposite of yours and Kettering Northants QC. The minibar generally stays on, but more times than not the A/C shuts off and it's rare that any of the outlets (at least those most convenient for recharging computers and phones) stay on.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Plat, Amtrak Select
Good advice in this thread re PIR, and I'd like to hear about more overrides, especially for newer Hampton Inns in the US. I had a negative experience with one recently in a brand new Hampton in Lake Wales, FL on a chilly spring night that had me dancing around the room all night to get the heat back on, and the whole situation was exhausting...and not pretty
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by 2jc
Just tried this at a Marriott with an Inncom thermostat and it looks like it worked. The screen displayed "VIP" for a few seconds, then switched back to the regular temperature display. Cool.
Worked at a Marriott Residence in Tx, too. Themostat here is "INNCOM" brand.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.