Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

To whom do you declare you are taking more than US$10,000 out of the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To whom do you declare you are taking more than US$10,000 out of the US?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah, anything that can't be traced--stuff a money launderer would use.
From FinCen form 105:
WHO MUST FILE:
(1) Each person who physically transports, mails, or ships, or causes to be physically transported, mailed, or shipped currency or other monetary instruments in an aggregate amount exceeding $10,000 at one time from the United States to any place outside the United States or into the United States from any place outside the United States, and
(2) Each person who receives in the United States currency or other monetary instruments In an aggregate amount exceeding $10,000 at one time which have been transported, mailed, or shipped to the person from any place outside the United States.
Monetary Instruments— (1) Coin or currency of the United States or of any other country, (2) traveler’s checks in any form, (3) negotiable instruments (including checks, promissory notes, and money orders) in bearer form, endorsed without restriction, made out to a fictitious payee, or otherwise in such form that title thereto passes upon delivery, (4) incomplete instruments (including checks, promissory notes, and money orders) that are
signed but on which the name of the payee has been omitted, and (5) securities or stock in bearer form or otherwise in such form that title thereto passes upon delivery. Monetary instruments do not include (i) checks or money orders made payable to the order of a named person which have not been endorsed or which bear restrictive endorsements, (ii) warehouse receipts, or (iii) bills of lading.
The governing law can be found in 31 USC 5316:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...6----000-.html

Treasury regulations can be found in 31 CFR 103:
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...cfr103_07.html
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Exactly! It is not only CASH, it's MONEY over $10k that the law prescribes. Want to be a criminal? Just take out your checkbook (for an account that has >$10k), write $10k, sign your name, cross the border, not report it, and you've broken the law!

I can't see how bringing $9,975 is "just as punishable"!
Structuring, as I already explained. People get jailed for that all the time.

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
Whatever
So I suppose if I make 100 trips a year across the border and take $100 each time, eventually you'll tell me that's not legal either because I've structured it that way?

I echo a previous poster's comment--it was nice living in a free country, while it lasted.
It's not like this is a post 9/11 law. It's been around awhile.

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Huh? Each person is under the limit, where's the rule broken?
Because it also applies to a family as a group. Next time you go through CBP ask one of the officers working. Don't ask the guy stamping your passort, ask the guy who's supposed to be searching bags. He'll tell you the same thing.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
From FinCen form 105:

The governing law can be found in 31 USC 5316:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...6----000-.html

Treasury regulations can be found in 31 CFR 103:
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...cfr103_07.html
Thank you for saving me some time.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:50 am

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Taker Park
Deliberately bringing/taking just under $10,000 in order to avoid reporting is just as punishable.
Every case of structuring I've ever read about involved _multiple_ transactions below the reporting threshold, where the sum of the transactions was above the reporting threshold. For example, I know of a gambler that had an interesting conversation with a federal agent because, whenever he won big in poker, he would deposit 9K a day of his winnings into his bank, until all the money was in. That is classic structuring.

If there is only a single transaction, then I fail to see how structuring can happen. Kind of like one can't build a wall with a single brick.

And if bringing in just under 10K is just as punishable as bringing in 10K, then could you enlighten us as to what the "real" limit is? And what the heck is the point of the 10K limit if the "real" limit is something less than that?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by horseguy
Every case of structuring I've ever read about involved _multiple_ transactions below the reporting threshold, where the sum of the transactions was above the reporting threshold. For example, I know of a gambler that had an interesting conversation with a federal agent because, whenever he won big in poker, he would deposit 9K a day of his winnings into his bank, until all the money was in. That is classic structuring.

If there is only a single transaction, then I fail to see how structuring can happen. Kind of like one can't build a wall with a single brick.

And if bringing in just under 10K is just as punishable as bringing in 10K, then could you enlighten us as to what the "real" limit is? And what the heck is the point of the 10K limit if the "real" limit is something less than that?
Right, you can't build a wall with a single brick...but telling the customs officer that you have $9,975 is more than likely going to extend any kind of contact that you have with them. Which'll include a baggage exam and a hand counting of your funds. I had a passenger who threw a fit after the money was counted, because her lucky $2 bill was counted in with the rest of it.

There is no limit. Just: over $10,000 declare. Not $10,000, but $10,000.01. The form isn't given to banks, the IRS, etc.

Why not just bring in $9,000 instead of $9,975?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:58 am

Location: Pasadena, CA; southwest Michigan; Oxford, UK... (LAX, ORD, LHR)
Programs: AA GLD (sometimes PLT), former Mileage Plus
What about precious metals? Further, what if the precious metals are legal tender for a lesser amount than their melt value?

For example, ten pounds (weight) worth of new American Eagle gold bullion coins have a face value of $8000 but a bullion value of $160,000.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 1:52 pm

If you're carrying $160K in gold, no, I don't think you'll file. However, you'll need to declare it on your customs form.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Right, you can't build a wall with a single brick...but telling the customs officer that you have $9,975 is more than likely going to extend any kind of contact that you have with them.
well, if you have $9,975, you don't have to declare the amount anyway, so it's a moot point, isn't it?

Also, glad I'm not the only nerd that figured that $1.35M in cash is not that hard to fit into a rolling suitcase. It would also weigh only about 25lbs (13,500 $100 bills at about 0.03oz per bill).
Old Apr 11, 2008, 3:03 pm

One of the benefits of working in the TS/S field is the interesting stories that you collect. My favorite happens to be the guy with monkeys in his underpants.
Five days since this post, and no one's asked, "Well, did he declare the monkeys? And what's the form for that?" ?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by alanh
If you're carrying $160K in gold, no, I don't think you'll file. However, you'll need to declare it on your customs form.
If drug dealers start paying in precious metals, then maybe the Feds will care. Until then I wouldn't worry about it. The money used to pay for all the drugs in the US and Europe are moved back out in cash by individuals who hide the money in their bags. That is what this rule is about. If you are wearing a $200,000 necklace, they don't care.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:09 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Serious question- with the advent of plastic (and nowadays, there's anonymous, refillable debit cards), unless someone's going to the Middle Of Nowhere, is there any need to carry cash?
Need? No. But how about just because it saves money? Well, travellers cheques can, anyhow. I used to move obtain money in overseas countries by cash advance on credit cards, but the zero fee days are gone. Now, it's up to over 3% in some cases. Using ATM cards brings up daily limits and per-transaction fees, as well. Using electronic transfers can involve all manner of fees. I can buy Amex travellers cheques and pay for them by credit card (as a purchase!), physically carry them to the US with me and deposit them with no fees. (Amex's exchange rate is effectively a fee, but below the credit card level and wiped out by the points I earn on my credit card.)

The more ludicrous the foreign exchange fees on plastic cards and electronic transfers get, the more attractive cash and travellers cheques become.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:46 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
It makes you stop and think, doesn't it, stimpy? I noticed when I flew MIA-POS (Trinidad) that some citizens of T&T seemed to enjoy traveling with ropes and ropes and ropes of gold necklaces around their necks, not to mention so many gold rings that they could hardly bend their fingers. No one batted an eye. The island is offshore Venezuela, and I later read speculation that drug lords from that country laundered drug money through Trinidad and in/out the U.S. in the form of gold jewelry. Don't know if that's just one of those internet rumors, though.

Originally Posted by stimpy
If drug dealers start paying in precious metals, then maybe the Feds will care. Until then I wouldn't worry about it. The money used to pay for all the drugs in the US and Europe are moved back out in cash by individuals who hide the money in their bags. That is what this rule is about. If you are wearing a $200,000 necklace, they don't care.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:22 pm

Well, how much does it cost if you forget that 25 pound carryon in the airport restroom? It's certainly happened.
Old May 7, 2008, 1:02 pm

Programs: SK EBD, Starwood/Marriott/RC, Hertz, Avis, AmXP, DC, etc.
FWIW, another reason to carry large sums of cash across borders is if you are moving... yes, you can do a wire transfer, but that can get expensive, and complicated if your US bank requires you to request it in person, but you haven't opened your foreign bank account yet, so can't do it until after you leave the US... I once needed enough to put a deposit on an apartment, and it would have taken me 2 weeks of going to the ATM every day to get sufficient funds... so I took it in cash so I could deposit it all directly in the foreign bank.

I don't remember which airport I left through (probably LAX), but I remember it being reasonably simple to find the place to fill out the form, and no one questioned me about it. I guess I looked innocent ;-)
Old May 30, 2008, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by NASATimp
What about precious metals? Further, what if the precious metals are legal tender for a lesser amount than their melt value?
It's face amount that matters. The issue was litigated a number of years ago: someone carried about 2,000 silver dollars out of the country without filing. He got caught, and the court ruled that he was carrying $2,000 in currency, which isn't reportable. The fact that it was worth a lot more is irrelevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.