Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

any airport still have the flapping card flight status boards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

any airport still have the flapping card flight status boards?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by BearX220
Me too! I could watch that board riffle for hours. There is something weirdly exciting about it.. plicka-plicka-plicka-plicka-plicka-PLICK.

If I win the Publishers Clearing House I am getting one of these boards for my living room.

Actually, it's not a bad idea, esp. for a large household. It'd be like a Muggle version of Molly Weasley's nine-handed clock!

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 7, 2008 at 11:21 am
Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:06 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Originally Posted by ihearttravl
sin still has them!!
Where? I only recall monitors (lots of them).
As of last December, SIN T2 had a flipper board in the check-in area just inside the first couple of doors (the ones designated outside for Business Class, even though the actual Business Class check-in rows are a bit further along when you get inside). I don't remember which rows specifically. But it's a big wide board. OskiBear described it earlier in this thread:

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I actually have a picture of the one at SIN from last month. I think it's the kind where each individual space changes so it's more flexible than the kind where the entire row flaps down and there are set number of possibilities that are complete words/number on each flap. If that makes any sense.

Edit: Double-checked. My pic from Feb is of T2
Edit2: Oopps! triple-checked. Also have a pic from T1. It appears that the airlines are on the wide flap but the numbers and letters are each individually spaces.
That sounds right to me. IIRC, there are two yellow lightbulbs at the end of the row that flash if something about the flight displayed on that row has changed or needs attention.

My earliest recollection of these flipper boards is at New York's Penn Station, a dismal place to wait for anything. The flipper was an intriguing distraction as you waited to learn which track you'd use to board your train.

I can't remember whether LAX TBIT had one way back when. The big boards at the ends of the check-in rows are now LCD or LED, but they are obviously intended to give the same impression as the old flippers. That was the first place I recollect seeing airline codes like CX, JL, etc. I'll still watch the board at TBIT, even if it doesn't have the kinetic energy of the old flippers. That said, I posted in that TravelBuzz thread a year or a couple of years ago about watching any flight status display board just to see where people and airplanes are going (in my case, I watch primarily the international ones).

Someone asked about displays at individual gates. Atlanta's primarily international concourse, Concourse E, has digital-looking displays above each gate desk. The displays look old-fashioned and evoke the flippers, but they're not strictly flipper-style, just digital-clock looking bars.

What about HKG Chek Lap Kok? Are the big boards you see as you approach the check-in rows Solari flippers? Can't remember.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
There's a restaurant in London, Smiths of Smithfield that has one behind the bar which announces daily specials. You can see a picture of it on their website http://www.smithsofsmithfield.co.uk/sos/index.html
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Sheremetevo Dva (SVO2) had them las I knew.

O/H
Old Apr 10, 2008, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by jkm024
This doesn't qualify as an airport, but Boston South Station still has this for Amtrak/MBTA
Not for much longer, if this article is to be believed. The replacement sign is supposed to include a speaker that will continue to make that clack-clack-clack sound, though, so all is not lost.

It should be noted that the article is over two years old, with no sign of the new sign so far... but long delays aren't unusual for the MBTA.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
B U Y 2 0 0 T 1 N S O F S O U P , 5 0 0 M I L E S E A
Even better, link up an RSS feed to the FT mileage run forum; when a new deal is posted, you hear the flippety-flip and look up to see (if you're lucky):

N W D T W S I N 4 3 0 + A I W B C D 0 N O T C A L L
Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:18 pm

These are "Solari" Boards

made by the Italian company Solari Udine. Flap displays are still advertised for rail systems.

http://www.solari.it/eng/solutions/d....php?catid=161
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:20 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC
The FRA one by immigration is in constant motion.
AKL domestic.
The (less than 1 year old) SYD and MEL QF F lounges have them ^
There's also one at Arrivals in MEL - and part of it has been broken for at least the last six months...

And in VTE (Vientiane, Laos) they still have a non-mechanical board that gets changed manually by sliding in wooden slats - if they remember...
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
IIRC BEG (Belgrade) has them for arrivals, departures, and little ones for each gate.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I can't remember whether LAX TBIT had one way back when. The big boards at the ends of the check-in rows are now LCD or LED, but they are obviously intended to give the same impression as the old flippers.
Wow. Never looked at them so close, I always thought they were flippers. The old-fashioned signs seemed logical...since the terminal is so old-fashioned.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 7:48 am

Anybody else remember the other technology that was used, where the letters and numbers were spelled out using dots or bars, usually in fluorescent yellow? Years ago I had an interview with the company that made these. What was kind of interesting about it was that it only consumed energy when changing, once it was set it stayed even if the power went out.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 8:12 am

For those of you considering the living room install, this article goes into some useful technical detail:

http://www.airportsindia.org.in/semi...info_board.jsp

Great thread btw.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by cbastian
made by the Italian company Solari Udine. Flap displays are still advertised for rail systems.

http://www.solari.it/eng/solutions/d....php?catid=161
Hey, that's cool. The 3rd photo there is in Secaucus, NJ at the train station. I'm through there pretty regularly. Sweet sign they've got!
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Wow. Never looked at them so close, I always thought they were flippers. The old-fashioned signs seemed logical...since the terminal is so old-fashioned.
Quite. Although I was surprised earlier this week to see some much-needed cosmetic upgrading, one half-row at a time at the checkin areas. The old vintage 1989 checkin desks are progressively being replaced by snazzy new LCD signs and displays and generally getting a facelift. It is actually quite an improvement. Even so, TBIT is still the armpit of the United States.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 3:55 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
IIRC BEG (Belgrade) has them for arrivals, departures, and little ones for each gate.
Neato jet! I'll have to get pix for my trip report when I'm there in June. ^

Originally Posted by Doctor Who
For those of you considering the living room install, this article goes into some useful technical detail:

http://www.airportsindia.org.in/semi...info_board.jsp

Great thread btw.
Tremendous public service there, Doctor Who.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.