Wiki Posts
Search

AAA card - Do hotels check ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
"I left it at home."*

*Note I actually am a member and infer nothing immoral by the above statement.
That may or may not work. I could not find my AAA card once when it was requested, and the hotel changed my rate to the standard rate. Fortunately, the difference was only about $10-15.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 3:04 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I use the AAA discount all the time and I've ONLY been asked for it once! I use my dad's account. I called AAA and they faxed the info to the hotel - no problem.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Very interesting discussion !

Thanks for all these comments, I will actually have a member travelling with me so it's not a problem anymore. Also I needed to modify the dates because of a MR.

It will be the Planet Hollywood so well worth it.

I hope the title is good enough to work in he search engine, otherwise mods might want to change it for this purpose

Cheers,
Old Feb 26, 2008, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM
I was only asked once at a Marriott Courtyard in Rochester, MN.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Not to stray too much off topic, but AAA offers huge discounts and promotions with Hertz. I recoup the membership fee rather quickly that way. They also offer decent travel books and maps for free to members.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
Of the several times I've booked the AAA rate (and am a current member), I've only had one Hyatt Place in Scottsdale ever ask for the card (but not several other times I've checked in).

I almost forgot where in my wallet I had put the card, haha!

I've also only once ever had a car rental company ask for it, and that was when I had to go to the counter to add an additional driver.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 1.93MM+, UA Gold, SWA Comp Pass, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Interesting thread - prior to this year, I've only had two hotels (Embassy and Sheraton). This year, I've had three Hyatt Place hotels (DC, Orlando and Boston) ask - perhaps it's their rate card they're trying to protect from abuse?

I dunno..
Old Feb 26, 2008, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Use the AAA hotel discount all the time, and only been asked to show the card once -- at a Marriott outside Milwaukee. Ironically, that was one of the few times I didn't have it with me, and the hotel honored the rate anyway.^
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:01 am

Stayed at Planet Hollywood last October. A member in our party had a AAA card, but they did not check.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Just to add my two cent...it just depends...some places ask and some don't. But, w/ my most recent use of the AAA discount at the Marriott in Cancun, I was asked...but only to have it in my wallet back home!! So, I had to get someone to FAX me/the hotel a copy of the card before they would honor the discount! Man, it was a hassle. So, I now always carry it with me just in case.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:02 pm

I was checking into the Grand Hyatt in NYC last summer, and was asked for my card. The one in my wallet had expired, and Hyatt called AAA to confirm that I had renewed. I'm a Hyatt Diamond, and had booked AAA rates there previously, but this is the first time I'd ever been asked for my card.

Since then, I've been asked at a few other Hyatt family locations, and one Hampton inn.

I also travel on gov't business and am increasingly asked for both my federal gov't id, and my official travel card. I can always produce both, so it's not an issue. I did see a guy get busted at the Renaissance Nashville recently ---he'd booked the gov't rate, but wasn't a gov't traveler, and his room was repriced at the lowest available---which was rack rate due to a conference taking up much of the hotel.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Within the past year I have been asked for both AAA ID and Corporate ID. Seems to happen more often in larger properties where rates are higher and I am in on a "bargain." I didn't have my AAA card with me, so we called and they confirmed - otherwise I know I would have been charged a higher price. Lesson learned - When i have been asked again, I have it, as well as my corporate ID.

When you book a "membership" rate on Marriott.com, the line "ID required" pops up on the confirmation page - so they are well within their rights to deny you the rate if you cannot provide the ID.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Gold; OnePass; SkyMiles
Exactamundo!

Originally Posted by lasnowgirl
Just to add my two cent...it just depends...some places ask and some don't. But, w/ my most recent use of the AAA discount at the Marriott in Cancun, I was asked...but only to have it in my wallet back home!! So, I had to get someone to FAX me/the hotel a copy of the card before they would honor the discount! Man, it was a hassle. So, I now always carry it with me just in case.
So true. It's a hit or miss issue, so it's easier just to carry the card (ditto the AARP card in case their discount is even better).
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm encountering it more often than I did in the past, so now I just keep it in my wallet.

I had a ressie at the LHR Renaissance one time on AAA rate, & because I was used to not being asked, I didn't have the card. So of course I was asked. It was really a hassle to get them to agree to honor the rate; helped that I had stayed there previously.

Cheers.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Most of the time I don't get carded but it does happen occasionally. It seems that Asian properties are more diligent on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.