Wiki Posts
Search

Business Meeting in US require Work Visa?, Entering USA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Business Meeting in US require Work Visa?, Entering USA

Hello,

I was wondering if I need to obtain some sort of work Visa if I am entering the United States from Canada for a one day business meeting? Or would I just put "Business" on the form when I land in the states.

Any help or past experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
If I have a meeting, and I'm traveling on a tourist visa, I simply write 'Meeting.' I've never had any subsequent issues with immigration.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:00 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Welcome to FT, sonia_80!

Assuming you are a Canadian citizen, you can generally enter the US for business or pleasure without a visa. Work Visas only apply if you will be employed in the US. For more information, check out the US State Dept Website at:

Who from Canada, Mexico and Bermuda, Needs a Nonimmigrant Visa to Enter the United States Temporarily?

See also the US Customs and Border Patrol Website at:

Documentary Requirements for Canadian and Mexican Residents

Last edited by dstan; Feb 19, 2008 at 10:04 pm Reason: redacted 90 day restriction
Old Feb 20, 2008, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
For non-Canadians though, presumably folks would come in under a B1 (business visitor) visa, right?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gleff
For non-Canadians though, presumably folks would come in under a B1 (business visitor) visa, right?
Visa Waiver Program country nationals also wouldn't need a visa:
The purpose of their stay in the United States is 90 days or less for tourism or business (if in doubt, travelers should check with the nearest Embassy or Consulate to verify that what they plan to do is considered tourism or business. Transit through the United States is generally permitted. Note that foreign media representatives planning to engage in that vocation in the United States are not eligible, as the purpose of their stay does not qualify as “business”. These professionals must obtain a nonimmigrant media (I) visa. See media visa for more information. Also see Visitor Visas – Business and Pleasure;
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wi...hout_1990.html
Old Feb 20, 2008, 5:59 am
mee

The standard visitor visa for the US is (if I remember right) a B1/B2 - which means you are permitted to enter the US for short stays, for either business or personal purposes, but not to undertake paid employment in the US.

So business meetings ok, touring ok, consulting probably ok as long as you get paid in your home country.

-- Mike
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:36 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by mee
The standard visitor visa for the US is (if I remember right) a B1/B2 - which means you are permitted to enter the US for short stays, for either business or personal purposes, but not to undertake paid employment in the US.
Yes - B-1 for business, B-2 for pleasure or medical treatment:

Visitor Visas - Business and Pleasure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.