Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flight attendants out of control?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

flight attendants out of control?

It seems that we have a recent outbreak of people getting kicked off of planes for reasons (at least those presented by the media) that do not seem entirely fair, and the descriptions of the behavior of the FA's raises some issues.

The latest is this family or 9 getting kicked off today. From what is being presented about this, it seems that one FA was really off base.
I have personally never seen a flight attendant out of control but could today's story be as lopsided as it is being portrayed. Apparently there were witnesses to the last two events who sided with the kicked off pax.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by ente_09
It seems that we have a recent outbreak of people getting kicked off of planes for reasons (at least those presented by the media) that do not seem entirely fair, and the descriptions of the behavior of the FA's raises some issues.

The latest is this family or 9 getting kicked off today. From what is being presented about this, it seems that one FA was really off base.
I have personally never seen a flight attendant out of control but could today's story be as lopsided as it is being portrayed. Apparently there were witnesses to the last two events who sided with the kicked off pax.
I saw a blurb about this on Fox News. Apparently it had something to do with a thing called a "Knee Defender".
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
A link to whatever story OP was talking about would have been nice. Here's one from Yahoo that includes accounts from other witnesses:
https://www.yahoo.com/travel/family-...150654020.html

If a Knee Defender was in use, then that should be automatic game over, but I didn't see any mention of it in 2 stories I read.

It sounds like the FA is in the wrong here, but there's a question of whether the FA went on the PA to call the family "animals" after they deboarded.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP has any good statistics on the # of security incidents resulting in off-loading, it would be great if he posted them. Otherwise, this is just another media hype incident which seems pretty clear:

1. Must obey crewmember instructions.
2. Don't film or record crew members onboard (not only a safety & security issue, but there are plenty of whacko stalkers out there).

Seems like protocol was followed and this wasn't the FA's ultimate decision. Captain and law enforcement involved. While it's the Captain's final judgment, he apparently took advice from the cops too. Sounds like the decision to boot the other 8 had nothing to do with the FA.

The "animals" comment is uncalled for an unprofessional, but it has nothing to do with the security issues. Can't say the FA was wrong, just unprofessional.

Unlike a bus, you can't pull over to the curb at 35,000 feet and give someone the boot. Peoples' behavior tends not to improve with the passage of time.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Have you ever looked around and seen the mentality of the average entitled person...

No respect for anything or anybody.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Originally Posted by satman40
Have you ever looked around and seen the mentality of the average entitled person...

Indeed, and that's the whole problem in a nutshell. People are acting horribly uncouth these days, even more so cramped together in a pressurised tube and deprived of control.

Perhaps it's time the gallows were introduced to modern air transport?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by satman40

Like the person in the story who blocked the aisle for no reason? The FA wouldn't ask someone if they could let others by if there was no way for someone to do that. The guy who got kicked off was being inconsiderate to everyone else trying to board the plane.

I don't get the sense of entitlement that passengers have on planes today. You do need to follow the directions of the staff. It's not like they're asking you to do anything unusual.

"Can you move out of the way while you're doing what you're doing so others can get by?"

"Yes as soon as I'm done doing what I'm doing and you've all waited (aka nope)"
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The coverage of these stories is almost invariably from the "aggrieved" party, with rarely anything but a cursory comment from the airline. As with the "aunt sues 7 year old" story, the truth is quite often something different. But it doesn't make for good headlines.

I prefer to wait for both sides to come out.

And I also wouldn't generalize the tens of thousands of "flight attendants" via a story every week or two.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Yeah people were up in arms about the lady who sued McDonald's for having her coffee too hot.

http://plotmistress.com/reviews/docu...es/hot-coffee/

It gets put into a different light when you see her skin grafts.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
A link to whatever story OP was talking about would have been nice. Here's one from Yahoo that includes accounts from other witnesses:
https://www.yahoo.com/travel/family-...150654020.html

If a Knee Defender was in use, then that should be automatic game over, but I didn't see any mention of it in 2 stories I read.

It sounds like the FA is in the wrong here, but there's a question of whether the FA went on the PA to call the family "animals" after they deboarded.
One article has a link to her FB page where she tells her side of the story.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...375195&fref=nf

I'm sorry, but when someone is that illiterate, to the point where you can't even follow what she's saying, I just can't get on her side. She comes off as an entitled DYKWIA who actually isn't anyone.

Just my gut feeling after reading her page.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ou81two
Yeah people were up in arms about the lady who sued McDonald's for having her coffee too hot.

http://plotmistress.com/reviews/docu...es/hot-coffee/

It gets put into a different light when you see her skin grafts.
Not really. She tried driving down the street with a cup of hot coffee between her legs. The Forrest Gump saying comes immediately to mind.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa

Just my gut feeling after reading her page.
Also couldn't help but notice that she made her tirade on Fb public, while everything else is private, and even non-friends can't comment. I definitely isn't winning any points with me with her presentation. She seems the "vindictive" type. I wouldn't be surprised if she leaves a 1-star Yelp review.

I'm reserving judgment until more witnesses come forth for either side. All we effectively have now is her side and B6's PR response... given those two as of right now, I'd side with B6.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
One of these years the airlines will update their computer systems so passengers who dilly dally in the aisle and hold up others can be identified and whenever they fly again they get assigned to the last boarding zone or group.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by AllanJ
One of these years the airlines will update their computer systems so passengers who dilly dally in the aisle and hold up others can be identified and whenever they fly again they get assigned to the last boarding zone or group.
You can't do that these days, that's discrimination
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:15 pm

Ever since 9-11 the flight attendants know they have the power to kick you off the plane by say certain key words to pilots. So yes I agree the flight attendants are out of control on many occasions. This does not include a pax urinating, defecting in the isle or any sexual mis conduct. But I certainly would get clearance to have sex in the lavatory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.