Airline w/ the best employee travel benefits?

Subscribe
Alitalia has the best benefits of any airline, including some pretty outrageous things like shopping allowances for overnight stops!
However, job security has suffered over the past couple of years....
AC's program is changing significantly in 2009 IIRC. Not to the benefit of the non-rev travellers.
Quote: Alitalia has the best benefits of any airline, including some pretty outrageous things like shopping allowances for overnight stops!
However, job security has suffered over the past couple of years....

Per Diems are very common..
Quote: Per Diems are very common..
As are free hotel nights at base before and after shifts, a chauffeur-driven car from your house to the airport, unlimited "positioning" flights (for people living in Rome and working for the MXP base- RIP) and so on.
For what it's worth, I was recently speaking to a UA part-time employee at IAD that definitely gets travel benefits. (I think he said he only works a few hours a week in retirement.)

I couldn't tell you if he had retired from UA and was getting benefits because of that, but I suspect not.
Anything about the benefits at KLM and SAS? Anyone from these companies here?

Planning to make my way there, so it might have an influence on my choice!
Suggestion skip the domestic carriers hook up with a foreign carrier if you can qualify growth will come faster internationally than domestically
Virgin america employee travel benefits
Our duaghter just joined VA and trying to find out the details of travel benefits. If there is a link or how do you go about using the benefits.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-2/100.07.76; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Quote: Our duaghter just joined VA and trying to find out the details of travel benefits. If there is a link or how do you go about using the benefits.
Information on the details of pass travel is probably not on a publicly-accessible website - more likely VA has an internal intranet, available to employees only.
I remember in junior high school someone came in to talk to the class about working for the airlines and the benefits they got. This was back in the late 70s, though. For a while I thought working in IT for airlines would be a great job (but didn't go in that direction during or after college).

About 2 years into my second job I took a Learning Annex class with a very motivated instructor about becoming a travel agent (with benefits a big part of the carrot), but couldn't take the idea of the 60% pay cut very well.

The mileage game and bottom-fishing the ULCCs and mistake fares has proven to be a viable alternative over the years.
Quote: Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-2/100.07.76; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Information on the details of pass travel is probably not on a publicly-accessible website - more likely VA has an internal intranet, available to employees only.
Thanks.
Question about how - or rather *when* - to book the employee seat....
I have heard that as an employee, to avail yourself of the free and/or greatly reduced travel, you have to fly standby, meaning there is a chance you would not be able to depart on the planned departure day or would be stranded and not able to return on the day you need to return by. Especially with the overbooking of flights as they are or at high demand periods. Is this so? Or can you book in advance (and if so how far) on the employee website for either the free ticket or the 90% discount ticket?

2nd Question - as an employee of an airline that flies internationally, I understand you can fly internationally for free or at greatly reduced cost to a city that your airline flies to. What about other international destinations that your airline does not fly to, but that a partnering airline that is a member of the same alliance, such as one world alliance, flies to? For example, as employee of, say, American Airlines, can you enjoy the employee benefit to fly to Amman, Jordan via Royal Jordanian Airlines, even though American doesn't fly there, but Royal Jordanian, a One World Alliance partner of American, does? Thanks....
1. Employee travel is standby. So regardless of when you "book" your seat... its still going to be dependent upon how many seats are left unsold 20 minutes before plane takes off, and where you fall on the seniority list.

Some airlines allow employees to purchase regular paid tickets at a discount. My airline was 20% last time I checked, but I haven't bought a ticket in probably 3 years, so I'm not even sure the discount still exists.

Pretty much every airline has worked out agreements with pretty much every other airline to offer employee discounts. Sometimes its worth it... especially for last minute travel, but many times, if you plan ahead, and watch for sales, you are better off buying revenue.
As someone who has had nonrev benefits since birth either through my parents or my own employment, I have long reached the conclusion that these are of limited utility unless one has complete flexibility in travel plans (dates + destinations). If you want to use these to go somewhere for Spring Break, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Summer, whatever... chances are that you will eventually be disappointed or worse. Too many nonrevs have gotten into serious problems with their employer for not being able to get back to work in time, or into serious credit card debt for having to shell out for full fare tickets in Business Class on other carriers in order to get back. All it usually takes is a single flight cancellation for everything to go pear shaped.
I've been looking into something like this, as there are sometimes jobs at my home airport listed as part-time. I am self-employed, and my hours are whatever I want them to be, so I could handle working the 'bad' hours. I don't mind nights anyway.

I think the sweet spot is to find an airline that gives benefits to part-timers, but who also screws their frequent-flyers by restricting international upgrades to higher fare classes. Only chance you will have to fly in J as an employee. DL and CO would qualify, although DL's Ready Reserve part-time program seems to have restrictions on the non rev travel. I think it's 30 days annually, with only a portion of those allowed to be ocean crossings. No interline either.

The listings I've seen only pay $10/hour, but I could easily make another $50/hour in travel benefits.

Just about anything you want to know about non-rev travel policies is posted on airliners.net. Not so much about what it's like to actually work part-time at an airline. Anyone?