Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

IATA numbers / codes (for getting cheaper hotel rates?)

Old Nov 29, 2007, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Some on-line hotel booking forms show a place to enter an IATA number, presumably for getting a special rate.

Anyone know what some of these numbers are - or a web site that lists such IATA numbers or perhaps hotel-specific (or chain-specific) promotion codes?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 8:52 pm

This is probably in the wrong forum.

But in any case, be prepared to show your IATA ID card (resembles a credit card I believe), if you use any codes.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI, IATA numbers are basically the TA's ID number & you do need to have the right ID card and would be very suprised if you weren't ID'd. Also, when you put the IATA number in, it's not for the discount...it's so the companies know which travel agent to pay the commission too. To get the travel agency rate, you generally need to get the right rate codes (at least with rental cars & hotels - not sure how airlines interact with the GDS systems).
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver
Moving to TravelBuzz...
Old Nov 30, 2007, 1:37 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
FYI, IATA numbers are basically the TA's ID number & you do need to have the right ID card and would be very suprised if you weren't ID'd. Also, when you put the IATA number in, it's not for the discount...it's so the companies know which travel agent to pay the commission too. To get the travel agency rate, you generally need to get the right rate codes (at least with rental cars & hotels - not sure how airlines interact with the GDS systems).
You'd be surprised how many places DO NOT ask you for the ID card. I have my IATA card and we do book discounted rates for myself personally and rarely am I asked for the card. And when you enter the code on the web sites it is most of the time for you to get the FAM rates, when you book using your GDS then it automatically get's you your commissions. Rarely would you put your code in a web site to get your commissions and to get your bookings and such. Airlines don't do squat for IATA card holders just gives you some bonuses and help and AD75 fares and such.

For the OP: IATA is an organization that travel agents, hotels, air lines etc... join and belong to. It is not easy to get an IATA number and it is your private code. I would be surprised if anyone listed the numbers out but you are welcome to input numbers randomly HAHAHAHA and jsut come up with it. But you also have a personal VER # that you need at times also so you really have two numbers, the IATA number for the company and then your personal VER number.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:44 am

Last edited by babird1; Dec 22, 2011 at 3:50 pm
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by babird1
Would it be wrong to use somebody else's IATA and VER numbers to book travel? Theoretically, it would benefit them because they would get compensation for it? Assuming that nobody asks to see a physical ID card.

And I'm talking about doing that with the agent in question's knowledge and permission.
When I had my IATA card it was made very clear that "unauthorized use" such as this would result in the immediate revocation of IATA privileges. But if you're both willing to do it, there's nothing to stand in your way. I personally wouldn't do it.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:33 pm

IATA Codes

The IATA Code is for travel agents and companies. Unless you are one you will not have it. This is not something that is shared online or anywhere.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Being able to take advantage of discounted rates on hotels, car hire, etc is one of the perks those in the travel industry get. They very much help when our pay is extremely low to begin with.

Unfortunately people get hold of codes and then use them without being so entitled. As a result an increasing number of businesses are refusing to offer travel industry rates.

If you don't work in the industry then you shouldn't use an IATA rate or discount code even if you manage to find one.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:13 am

This is all more or less correct, but is not at all the reason why hotel offer you to enter your IATA number.

The reason is comission. If I'm a travel agent and I book for one of my customers directly through the hotel website they will be able to identify my agency with my IATA number and bank my comission. But they will show exactly the same rate, no matter if an IATA number is entered or not. It's just a comission thing.

Travel Industry rates are handed differently (either through a promotion code or with specific rate codes through GDS, i.e. Amadeus).
Old Apr 8, 2011, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Would it be wrong to use somebody else's IATA and VER numbers to book travel? Theoretically, it would benefit them because they would get compensation for it? Assuming that nobody asks to see a physical ID card.
You're talking about two different things here. If you're booking a room on a hotel's website and you enter an IATA number, the agency whose number that is will receive the commission for the booking.

The requirement to present the IATA card is if you're booking something at a discounted industry rate. The card has the photo and VER number of the holder. It cannot be used by anyone else but the cardholder.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
i've benefited most of my life from IATA discount rates because my dad has an IATA card due to him working in a travel related organization even though he is an accountant there. Every time we travel together we get really cheap rates. $40 at the hyatt, $15 at accent inns in vancouver, free nights at the fairmont. benefits are great.
someone mentioned about checking the card upon checkin-- in my experience it only happens half the time. most of the time they don't check

as others have stated, the IATA field on hotel sites are usually for commission. If say my dad booked a room for someone and entered his # his company would get commission on that booking.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: I'm all in on Ultimate Rewards
My mom has an IATA card (same last name) but she will not be traveling with me. Any chance she can book the room and put my name as her second guest and I can get the room at the discounted rate if shes not there to present her ID?

Or could I have her photocopy it and bring it with me? We have the same last name does that matter?
Old May 6, 2011, 8:18 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Well this thread isn't going anywhere..

Lets focus on how to get a real IATA card for yourself. So, whats the easiest way to do it?

^
Old May 6, 2011, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

And I'm talking about doing that with the agent in question's knowledge and permission.
As far as I know IATA reservations is for the actual member use.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.