FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Which airlines refund the difference if the fare goes down? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/755395-airlines-refund-difference-if-fare-goes-down.html)

nathockens Nov 9, 2007 9:24 am

Which airlines refund the difference if the fare goes down?

I know that NW will refund the difference (minus a 50$ fee) if your ticket price goes down. Anyone know if and which other carriers do this?

tjl Nov 9, 2007 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by nathockens (Post 8702902)
I know that NW will refund the difference (minus a 50$ fee) if your ticket price goes down. Anyone know if and which other carriers do this?

Any airline if you have a fully-refundable ticket.

With a non-fully-refundable ticket, there is usually a change fee... if you see the fare go down by more than the change fee, you can rebook and save some money... depending on the airline, you may be refunded the difference or may only have a credit that can be applied to future ticket purchases on the airline.

For example, WN has no change fee, but non-refundable ticket money can only be applied to future WN ticket purchases.

Lightman7 Nov 9, 2007 4:39 pm

On United, as long as you don't change your itinerary, and accept travel credits instead of cash, you can "refare" ANY PNR without a change fee. This true even for non-refundable tickets. BUT if you change anything about your itinerary, you have to pay a change fee. You also have to call and ask for the refare, UA won't just give t to you.

This is something not too many people realize, but it can save you lots of $ :D

Savage25 Nov 9, 2007 6:19 pm

All airlines that don't understand Revenue Management :p

arriba Nov 9, 2007 6:56 pm

A website that monitors price changes...

...I read about yapta.com and have subscribed. It is a site that watches fare changes and notifiies you when flights you have booked change prices to enable you to benefit from better fares. I read about it in a T&L article about new travel sites and what they might be able to do for you.

robb Nov 9, 2007 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Lightman7 (Post 8705220)
On United, as long as you don't change your itinerary, and accept travel credits instead of cash, you can "refare" ANY PNR without a change fee. This true even for non-refundable tickets. BUT if you change anything about your itinerary, you have to pay a change fee. You also have to call and ask for the refare, UA won't just give t to you.

This is something not too many people realize, but it can save you lots of $ :D

You don't even have to call. It can be done on united.com.

Simply go to View Itineraries, click "View/Modify Itinerary" for a specific trip, click "Change Itinerary", then click "Check the price of the itinerary."

If the price has gone down, it will allow you to refare it and request the travel vouchers. You can't make any changes at all, but there are no change fees for a refare.