Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Blackout curtains in hotel rooms: love them or hate them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blackout curtains in hotel rooms: love them or hate them?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:06 pm

Big plus, for me.

Light, and sound.

I like to come back to the room and have a nap in the middle of the day while I'm on vacation--recharge my batteries and the phone's--(particularly when I'm badly jet-lagged). They're indispensible then.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: AY+
Love them, have them at home also.
On my current company rental flat don´t have those and I hate to wake when the sun rises.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Love them.

There is already too much light pollution in hotel rooms. Too many LEDs..on the TV to let you know it's OFF. On the thermostat. On the smoke detector. On the coffee maker. On the phone. Then there is light seeping in under the door, and even the light on the electrical outlet in the bathroom gets bright once your eyes adjust. When those curtains don't fully close or block out the light, whatever industrial sodium light is outside will also light up the room.

The darker, the better.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I carry 2 chip clips for those drapes that just can't seem to be completely closed.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
There is already too much light pollution in hotel rooms. Too many LEDs..on the TV to let you know it's OFF. On the thermostat. On the smoke detector. On the coffee maker. On the phone.
Post it notes come in handy for all the extra lights in the room.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I don't need total darkness to sleep, but I do need the ability to block out bright and/or harsh lights. Those include street lamps, spot- and floodlights used by the hotel, car headlights, and, of course, the morning sun when it rises much earlier than I wish to.

I don't understand why blackout curtains are being posed as a love-it-or-hate-it thing in this thread. If you don't want them, don't use them! A properly furnished hotel room has both lighter curtains for people who simply need a bit of privacy and blackout curtains for people who need isolation from the problems I mentioned above.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Love them
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Need them
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:31 pm

Need them, love them.

At home my wife has these thin curtains up. Enough to block out some stuff but not a lot. I'm the type of person who likes watching TV or using the computer in the darkness. So I get in a hotel room and shut the curtains and they stay shut the entire time For some reason I get less annoyed when I wake up in the morning in a hotel room and its still pretty dark in there..
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Captainmidnight

Need them, love them.

At home my wife has these thin curtains up. Enough to block out some stuff but not a lot.
<snip>
My old suburb friend just love when the neighbour wifes has the thin curtains up...
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:49 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Absolutely need them! ^

I love my own bed too much. When I'm traveling, I need to do everything possible to not remind myself of the fact that I'm not to be my own bed. Worst case scenario, I'll put on an eye mask; it's not the most comfortable, but it's better than a restless night of sleep.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 4:29 am

Eye mask + blackout curtains, even at home: Belt and suspenders.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:13 pm

I think the black out curtains are just fine. If I need to sleep during the day, the curtains are wonderful.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Blackout curtain are the best. Especially if you're in Northern Ireland in the summer and sunset is near 11.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

uh, might need them if operating on schedule different from location

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.