Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Mix for Traveling

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2007, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Credit Card Mix for Traveling

I've never had a problem, but I like to be prepared when traveling in case something happens to my wallet, bank account, etc. My primary credit card is now my Amex Blue Cash. I also carry a Chase Business Rewards Mastercard for restaurants and coverage where Amex is not taken. I also have my ATM card which has the Mastercard logo, but keep that account pretty low in case someone manages to access my account.

I also keep an emergency backup credit card in my passport wallet. If my regular wallet gets stolen/lost, at least I still have a credit card. Right now my backup is another Chase Mastercard. I'm thinking it is probably better to have my backup with another bank in case something happens (fraud alert) where Chase freezes all of my account. I've got an unused Citibank MC, but I'm now thinking I might be better with a Visa so I have a mix of the major three with me.

Are there any advantages/differences between Visa and Mastercard in regards to acceptance, insurance, etc?
Old Jun 2, 2007, 3:14 pm
zac

I always have at least one Visa, MC, and Amex. Then, two ATM cards as well. Lastly, always take some cash and leave it aside for an emergency.

I have actually been to businesses (overseas only) where only Visa or only MC was taken.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tev9999
Are there any advantages/differences between Visa and Mastercard in regards to acceptance, insurance, etc?
Yes, they're accepted at a lot more places...especially outside of the U.S.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 4:15 pm

Another factor to consider is how much your credit card charges you to make purchases abroad. Most cards charge between 1% and 3%. I believe Capital One doesn't charge extra for purchases abroad (though you may want to confirm that).
Old Jun 2, 2007, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelingWookiee
Another factor to consider is how much your credit card charges you to make purchases abroad. Most cards charge between 1% and 3%. I believe Capital One doesn't charge extra for purchases abroad (though you may want to confirm that).
This is a good point...AMEX is very good to me with this.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by UNITED959
This is a good point...AMEX is very good to me with this.
LOL.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:50 pm
In memoriam

Amex charges 2 or 2.5% plus on forex charges. This is not a good deal. Although, admittedly, somewhat better than Citibank, Chase etc.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Amex charges 2 or 2.5% plus on forex charges. This is not a good deal. Although, admittedly, somewhat better than Citibank, Chase etc.
But the base rate Amex uses is not the same as Visa/Mastercard. It is almost always less favorable and for less common currencies considerably so. So a strict comparison of surcharges is not valid.

Anyone who believes Amex "is very good to me" is misguided or not objective.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 5:45 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
It all depends where you are from and where do you travel to.

There are countries where credit cards are not accepted or have limited acceptance or where it is not safe to use credit cards (extremely high risk of fraud). So in those places you are much better of with cash / ATM card.

I have one credit card that I bring to those places where credit cards are accepted and safe to use. Otherwise, I bring my ATM card. I always carry a few hundred € and/or US$ in cash for emergencies.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tev9999
I'm thinking it is probably better to have my backup with another bank in case something happens (fraud alert) where Chase freezes all of my account.
Call your credit card companies prior to departure to alert them that you'll be using your card while traveling and this is much less likely to happen.

Originally Posted by TravelingWookiee
I believe Capital One doesn't charge extra for purchases abroad (though you may want to confirm that).
That is correct. Capital One is one of the only card issuers that offers a fair rate of exchange and does not tack on additional fees. It's the best choice for purchases in foreign currency, IMHO.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:12 am

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Currently in Europe....

I have two main cards with me: SPG Amex and a Citibank AA. In Prague where I'm based it's been about 50/50 where AMEX is accepted (in general it's not easy to use plastic outside the tourist zones i.e. where my apartment is) but in Krakow this weekend AMEX was useless.

That said, Citi's current FOREX fee is lower (I may have had a deal on application, I don't remember and the paperwork is home but I can confirm it's 1%) and they used a better exchange rate for charges that posted the same day as AMEX. I'm just being cautious and alternating when I can since Citi's limit isn't very high and I don't want to kill my UTIL.

Didn't bring a VISA because I don't have one, have touch wood not run into a place that only took VISA.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 6:53 am

Programs: UA
I always take my amex to the US with me (just about the only place I can use it...!) other than that I take my forex charge free mastercard
Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I carry SPG Amex, Marriott Visa, a Citibank MC, and a credit union Visa that also functions as an ATM card.

SPG Amex is my primary spend card while traveling: I figure the Starpoint roughly offsets the vig that Amex takes on the currency conversion.

The credit union Visa is my backup for general spending - it has no vig beyond the 1% that Visa takes. Fortunately, Amex is taken almost anywhere I might make a large purchase, so the total volume I run through this card is small, even if I have to use it a couple of times a day for smaller purchases.

The Marriott Visa is only used at Marriotts - the 5 points/$ more than offsets the 3% vig.

The Citibank MC is rarely used other than to purchase an airline ticket (it's a TYP card). I just have it onhand in case I run into a rare merchant that doesn't take Amex or Visa.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Another thing to consider is to get a PIN number for your Visa/MC. I got sick and tired of having my Visa cc rejected in the UK for not having a PIN number...
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
I've encountered places where MC is not accepted but Visa is. I carry one of each (plus an ATM card); at home I never use the PIN number but I've needed it while traveling in Europe (like at the gas pump).

A friend who is a very experienced traveler has returned to using traveler's checks because of increasing credit card charges on foreign purchases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.