FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Question about acceptability of U.S. hundred dollar bills (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/740414-question-about-acceptability-u-s-hundred-dollar-bills.html)

trilinearmipmap Sep 26, 2007 11:32 pm

Question about acceptability of U.S. hundred dollar bills

I am Canadian and will be traveling in the U.S. several times in the next few months. I have heard and read about problems with counterfeiting of U.S. hundreds. Mostly I use credit cards but want to bring some cash along and want to avoid too much bulky money in my wallet. Are there problems having hundred dollar bills accepted, should I bring smaller bills or are 100's OK most places.

Redhead Sep 26, 2007 11:49 pm

Generally you shouldn't have a problem spending $100's but you may have some difficulties in taxis, convenience stores, tolls, petrol stations, etc. Don't use $100's for smallish transactions since stores will hate giving that much change. Also, be ready for some grimaces of annoyance from those who willa ccept the bills. Most places will use a special pen to check that they are indeed real $100's.

I'd take some $20s as well

Efrem Sep 27, 2007 4:11 am

Agreed, though with inflation $100 U.S. ain't what it used to be! Traditions die hard - several attempts at a U.S. $1 coin have encountered huge consumer resistance*, but if someone had suggested a 10¢ or 25¢ bill way back when they had about the same purchasing power as a dollar does today, they would have been laughed out of the mint.

Some of the rarity of the $100 bill probably has to do with credit/debit cards, which are the normal medium for buying anything that would have used a $20 or $50 bill "back in the day" and would suggest using a $100 bill today if anyone was going to pay cash for them. Whatever the reason, store clerks don't get too many.

Michael Sep 27, 2007 4:25 am

I'd take some $20s as well
Good advice. It's certainly not unusual to see a small store with a sign to the effect that they won't accept bills larger than $50 or so.

- Michael

Redhead Sep 27, 2007 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 8471127)
Good advice. It's certainly not unusual to see a small store with a sign to the effect that they won't accept bills larger than $50 or so.

- Michael

True, although technically this is illegal since the US$ is "legal tender for all debts public and private" but it's hardly worth the fight

grouse Sep 27, 2007 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Redhead (Post 8472146)
True, although technically this is illegal since the US$ is "legal tender for all debts public and private" but it's hardly worth the fight

You misunderstand what "legal tender" means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_tender

Italy98 Sep 27, 2007 8:41 am

You can also ask the front desk of the hotel where you are staying to change a $100 into smaller bills for you.

uncertaintraveler Sep 27, 2007 9:05 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

797-3 Sep 27, 2007 9:15 am

In the US, people and stores are not fussy. Old style bills are accepted. If you buy $40 from the grocery store, they are not surprised to get $100 bills, at least the very few times I've had a $100 bill.

trilinearmipmap Sep 27, 2007 9:30 am

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.

3Cforme Sep 27, 2007 10:02 am

Originally Posted by 797-3 (Post 8472423)
Old style bills are accepted.

Unlike many nations, the U.S. has not obsoleted currency instruments. There's been no call for all 'old $100s' to be redeemed for new one hundred $ notes. One can take a $5 note from 1830 and spend it at Starbucks if you wish.

pattas Sep 27, 2007 10:21 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 8472733)
Unlike many nations, the U.S. has not obsoleted currency instruments. There's been no call for all 'old $100s' to be redeemed for new one hundred $ notes. One can take a $5 note from 1830 and spend it at Starbucks if you wish.

they might take your antique 5 dollar bill, but they won't take $100 notes though.

FlyingOnceMore Sep 27, 2007 10:49 am

Originally Posted by pattas (Post 8472857)
they might take your antique 5 dollar bill, but they won't take $100 notes though.

Based on my experience, a few weeks ago, Starbucks, Coffee Bean and Jamba Juice wouldn't take 50's, never mind 100's

Loren Pechtel Sep 27, 2007 10:57 am

Places that normally deal in small transactions might not be willing to take a $100. Anyplace for which it's the reasonable unit of currency for the bill won't have a problem with them, though.

PTravel Sep 27, 2007 11:01 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 8472733)

But be prepared for some problems.

See this story: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...off0138027.htm

Best Buy Ripoff Has customer arrested for using $2 bills Calls Secret Service Lutherville Maryland

"PUT YOURSELF in Mike's place. On the morning of Feb. 20, he buys a new radio-CD player for his 17-year-old son Christopher's car. He pays the $114 installation charge with 57 crisp new $2 bills, which, when last observed, were still considered legitimate currency in the United States proper. The $2 bills are Bolesta's idea of payment, and his little comic protest, too.

For this, Mike, Baltimore County resident, innocent citizen, owner of Capital City Student Tours, finds himself under arrest.

Finds himself, in front of a store full of customers at the Best Buy on York Road in Lutherville, locked into handcuffs and leg irons.

Finds himself transported to the Baltimore County lockup in Cockeysville, where he's handcuffed to a pole for three hours while the U.S. Secret Service is called into the case."