Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about acceptability of U.S. hundred dollar bills

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
Based on my experience, a few weeks ago, Starbucks, Coffee Bean and Jamba Juice wouldn't take 50's, never mind 100's
The irony here is that Starbucks will gladly take your cc, even for ridiculously small amounts. I have used it for as little as about $1.50, for a small (aka "tall") cup of regular coffee.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
My nomination for dumbest comment of the year: "'It's a sign that we're all a little nervous in the post-9/11 world.'" Is Best Buy afraid terrorists are undermining our economy by spending $2 bills

Originally Posted by MarqFlyer
I have used it for as little as about $1.50, for a small (aka "tall") cup of regular coffee.
Isn't a small a "short" - the one they don't list on the menu, and try to convince you doesn't exist (because it's cheaper) but actually do carry...

http://www.slate.com/id/2133754/
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
But be prepared for some problems.

See this story: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...off0138027.htm
I've been saving a recently acquired two-dollar bill for a grandkid. Guess I'll reconsider...

Idiots!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:54 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Maybe you can trick some unsuspecting Yank into exchanging a US $100 bill for your CDN $100 bill.

Last edited by mbstone; Sep 27, 2007 at 11:55 pm
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mbstone
Maybe you can trick some unsuspecting Yank into exchanging a US $100 bill for your CDN $100 bill.
It's an even bet as to who'd lose on that transaction right now.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA Gold, Delta, HHonors Diamond, Marriott, Starwood
I used to work on the floor of a stock exchange and one guy would get bags of $2 bills just for kicks. He loved going into McDonald's and using a $2 bill b/c "the cashier would get all confused and not know where to put it(in the cash register)".

Originally Posted by PTravel
But be prepared for some problems.

See this story: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...off0138027.htm

Best Buy Ripoff Has customer arrested for using $2 bills Calls Secret Service Lutherville Maryland

"PUT YOURSELF in Mike's place. On the morning of Feb. 20, he buys a new radio-CD player for his 17-year-old son Christopher's car. He pays the $114 installation charge with 57 crisp new $2 bills, which, when last observed, were still considered legitimate currency in the United States proper. The $2 bills are Bolesta's idea of payment, and his little comic protest, too.

For this, Mike, Baltimore County resident, innocent citizen, owner of Capital City Student Tours, finds himself under arrest.

Finds himself, in front of a store full of customers at the Best Buy on York Road in Lutherville, locked into handcuffs and leg irons.

Finds himself transported to the Baltimore County lockup in Cockeysville, where he's handcuffed to a pole for three hours while the U.S. Secret Service is called into the case."
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:58 pm

I worked at a convenience store many years ago that was near a horse track which used $2 bills for the $2 bets, so I saw quite a few.

This has been discussed in other threads here, but in theory at least any place that accepts credit cards must accept them for any amount, without a surcharge. I use a miles-earning card anywhere that accepts a credit card.

I actually carry only a token amount of cash ($40-50).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.