Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many people are actually paying for F and J

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:27 am
Original Poster

How many people are actually paying for F and J

Took a 15.5 hour flight LAX-Dubai. I would not have survived on coach or even PE so paid $13,000 or 2 J tkts on Emirates. I know LAX to Europe is about $5000 on J
We spoke to a few people and some had their fares covered by their employers (duh- business class) .
While trying to be politically correct, the nature most of the F,J class pax did not seem anydifferent that what you see in coach. The average age was abour 30-40.There were several families with 2 young children. with parents in their early 30's

My question is how many F/J pax are actually paying these amounts out of their own money as opposed to miles, credit card perks or employers
Old Feb 11, 2024, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Apparently many more since the pandemic.
OskiBear likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would have survived just fine. You just wouldn't have been as comfortable.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 6:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I know plenty of business travelers where their employer covers J without a second thought. F, these days, less often for businesses. I also have a number of friends who pay for J for non-business travel on long haul flights / international travel.

I've literally never paid for F or J in cash. Always points. But thats cause I have been able to rack up many millions of points. The folks on FT are a small fraction of a subset of travelers out there.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Been paying for J the last few years … a lot of research, deals and postitioning flights to keep costs down
TommyD2, zip10001 and Pulley like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Some may be using miles for an F/J ticket. Some are traveling for work in which the company picks up the tab. And others just have the money (or credit or a credit card) to do so. Also, at least in the US airlines are aggressively selling upgrades. I've been taking advantage of many of them lately. It's conditioning elites to a day in which upgrades will no longer be complimentary. Of course, it will be marketed as an "enhancement" to their FF program.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Those that can afford to.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond. Skyteam Elite Plus. Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I have that same question when you see domestic FC slap full. No way everyone is upgrading and what a waste of money to pay for that seat.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:08 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ente_09
Took a 15.5 hour flight LAX-Dubai. I would not have survived on coach or even PE so paid $13,000 or 2 J tkts on Emirates. I know LAX to Europe is about $5000 on J
We spoke to a few people and some had their fares covered by their employers (duh- business class) .
While trying to be politically correct, the nature most of the F,J class pax did not seem anydifferent that what you see in coach. The average age was abour 30-40.There were several families with 2 young children. with parents in their early 30's

My question is how many F/J pax are actually paying these amounts out of their own money as opposed to miles, credit card perks or employers
that demographic is work- and work-adjacent. e.g. earning miles through work, deploying it on personal travel.
but anyway, card perks and miles still require having put the butt in the seat (from a decent job), and/or spending, so it is still very much their "own money".

premium seats are typically 1/5th of cabin, so they are not that exclusive.

if you're asking how many of the occupied seats are direct for-leisure revenue purchases, probably 1/3rd of the corporate-paid set.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:57 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I pay for my travel to Asia for J. I cannot afford to pay F but I do not think I will survive in Y for 15 hours. PE, yes.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 7:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by Tennis69
I have that same question when you see domestic FC slap full. No way everyone is upgrading and what a waste of money to pay for that seat.
As upgrade space has disappeared on domestic flights, and I got tired of dying at #1 on the upgrade list, I have been buying F. It is usually a few hundred extra, and worth it to me. Especially as I’m no longer 1K. You are treated better, have more space and sometimes decent food. I suspect there are a lot of people like me - used to have status, now pay for F.

i also watch the price - if it seems high at first, I may buy economy, monitor, and snag a price drop in F or cheap cash upgrade. Those still happen.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
In my experience, airlines are aggressively selling upgrades to J/F at a variety of price points to entice consumers. I’ve snagged some pretty decent upgrades for what I consider a reasonable price. I suspect a large number of people are in a similar position to pull the trigger when an upgrade fee is reasonable for the length of time in flight.

Nowadays I find status to be nearly worthless in getting a J/F upgrade unless you’re the top tier. So instead of relying on that, I usually just buy it outright anymore if I consider it a worthy upgrade.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
I'd say my upper limit for a cash fare in J is roughly $3k round trip or about 90k miles each way. It depends on the airline, the routing, and how badly I want the flight. Personally I have no need for some of the more extravagant experiences in premium cabins that appeal to others. For me, all I care about is having a lie flat since I cannot sleep sitting up and don't want to be a zombie waiting for bed time at my destination. I'd be happy with the Y meal if it saved me decent money or miles on the fare. I also don't go crazy on the booze, sans a glass or two of red wine to help put me to sleep after dinner. I do think there's an untapped market for lower cost Zipair-like, bare bones lie flats internationally, especially between the US and Europe.

My most recent international J data points in the last couple years - YVR-BNE on AC was paid with points (71k I think?). FJ SYD-NAN-LAX was 55k Alaska miles. LATAM LAX-SCL was $2500 or so RT with AMEX IAP. I don't fly internationally as often as many here, but when I do, I try to do it in business.
deniah likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 9:17 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Did that with Jal mileage bank when they had double mile promotion post covid which allowed me to reach higher member tier which would be quite long shot if it were to be done during normal period (possible but it would have cost much more $$)

Last edited by minizian; Feb 20, 2024 at 9:23 am
Old Feb 20, 2024, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by enviroian
Those that can afford to.
Plenty that can afford do don't, and plenty that can't afford to do. But plenty are paying for the front cabins. Many years ago, the front cabins (at least US carriers) had few paid passengers, very little in the way of discounted fares, and full of upgrades. Now, discounted premium cabin fares are readily available, with some planning and luck, and with revenue-based programs, it can make sense to buy a higher fare from time to time to avoid taking an "extra trip" to keep status. And in the days of FFP diminishing returns, if you want to fly in comfort, it is easier to just pay for the fare to where and when you want to travel than be a ho to keep your status.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.