Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Currently in Vienna and many of the waiters are mentioning that tip isn't included into the receipts they give me. Not sure if this is the case so I've been giving 10% tips.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
"Tip" as such isn't included in Austria, or most European countries. Service fee, however, is included in the menu prices. Rounding up a bill is polite, and also convenient for the guest and waiter, with no need to handle small change.

Except for some Asian countries, where everything over the bill price is refused, there is of course nothing illegal to be more generous when rounding up, if you have been very happy with the service provided
Old Oct 25, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by onobond
"Tip" as such isn't included in Austria, or most European countries. Service fee, however, is included in the menu prices. Rounding up a bill is polite, and also convenient for the guest and waiter, with no need to handle small change.

Except for some Asian countries, where everything over the bill price is refused, there is of course nothing illegal to be more generous when rounding up, if you have been very happy with the service provided
In those countries where tips are refused, it's not because it's illegal but because it's culturally insensitive or inappropriate. Hence this thread.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:21 pm

is this thread from the locals perspective or as a tourist? tourists might be expected to tip more in general
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by patpatpatme
is this thread from the locals perspective or as a tourist? tourists might be expected to tip more in general
I've participated in the thread quite a lot and have tried to take the local perspective - i.e. fit in with what's culturally appropriate among the local population.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:02 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by obscure2k
This thread is for tipping information throughout the world. It is not a commentary thread.
All future comments regarding tipping and one's feelings about the subject will be immediately deleted.
Thank you for your cooperation
Obscure2K
TravelBuzz Moderator

Recent commentary on tipping cultures, perceptions, expectations from tipping, etc. have all been removed. Again, this thread is to help travelers understand the LOCAL tipping customs (if any). Thanks. /Moderator
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
can anyone provide insight on tipping in Bhutan?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by geezersrule
This thread over Asia Forum may give you some pointers: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/1021710-bhutan.html
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by geezersrule
Haven't searched the Asia forum myself, my advice is to watch the locals, and comply to local habits. The Bhutan currency Ngultrum is pegged to the Indian Rupee. Theoretically, the Ngultrum is divided in 100 Chertums, but there is no need for bills/coins smaller than 1 Ngultrum (smallest bill is 1) is worth only about $0.02 USD or equalling 79 BTN to 1 USD.

Visiting Thimphu some 20 years ago, I found locals non-tipping, but things may have changed in that time
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:27 am

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask in, but is tipping expected in lounges? I'm flying EY business class WAS to AUH and will be using the lounges in both places. In AUH I'll probably take advantage of the shave and massage. Should I tip for good service on these?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DCANW
Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask in, but is tipping expected in lounges? I'm flying EY business class WAS to AUH and will be using the lounges in both places. In AUH I'll probably take advantage of the shave and massage. Should I tip for good service on these?
Welcome to FT! I've never been to AUH but have been to quite a few airport and hotel lounges and never felt the need to tip, although I've never gotten personalized services such as you mention. Somebody here may be able to provide an authoritative answer, or else you may need to check elsewhere, e.g. here, here.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by DCANW
The only regular tipping I've come across in lounges is for drinks at the bar in the US. That said its still not nearly as prolific as in bars outside of airports (where the majority of customers would tip).

Tipping not common nor expected in any other situations in my experience/observation.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I'm wondering if we should be adding hotel housekeeping to the discussion / wikipost?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
NO

Enough already.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm wondering if we should be adding hotel housekeeping to the discussion / wikipost?
From my experience it's been a peculiarly-American thing (and then far from universal unlike waiters, bartenders etc.). There was a poll on one of the bloggers sites that came in at about 50/50, and even this is high compared to my wife's experiences of managing housekeeping teams in various US chain properties in the US.

So maybe not worth adding IMHO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.