Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which airlines is went out of business in 2000s?

Which airlines is went out of business in 2000s?

Old Sep 12, 2007, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA
There were several airlines that went out of business in 2001 immediately after 9/11. Ansett Australia was one and Canada 3000 was another. It wasn't that they were in particular difficulties but any airline business that needed to refinance long-term loans in the normal manner in the weeks after 9/11 found that nobody in the financial business would touch them.

Iraqi Airways ceased operations at the time of the first Gulf War in 1991 and never got going again properly. Their mostly-Boeing fleet was dispersed to safety in various places round the Middle East at that time and much of it is still derelict in the weeds (probably in the sand actually) in places like Amman or Tunis unused 16 years later. They did acquire some more aircraft around 2003 but never restarted services seriously. In more recent times there have been a few services under their brand started yet again using chartered aircraft.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Yes, that is one of website Chalks. It mean Chalks is still in the business for a long time. I assume that I still remember Chalks was flies from FLL.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:33 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
SunTrips... although I think they were operated by Ryan Int'l Airlines.... a low-cost charter that used DC10s on OAK-HNL/OGG/LIH/KOA/ITO routes... the travel agency (SunTrips) went belly up and so did their branded aircraft.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 5:44 pm
B1

Originally Posted by gosha83
Canada 3000 is another one that went out of biz in 2001.
And they were from ashes of Canada 2000 which was from Royal Airlines. My favorite dead airline was Crown Air. They were owned by PCO - Pest Control Ontario - really. They owned one DC-8 that was ex-Air NZ but claimed that they had three planes. There were no other DC-8's in passenger service. They started to get behind their schedule and by the end their flights were about a week late. We arrived on the Crown DC8 at FLL to clear US customs and then were to continue on to St Pete. But we were so late that the Customs officers had gone home. So we were held in a room with our luggage. I decided enough was enough. We grabbed our luggage and ran through an emergency exit with the FA chasing us. When we got to the hall, there was a sherriff walking her duty shift. I said I am entering the US through this door. She said "Welcome." The flight back was delayed three days.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 6:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles, BA Avios
Originally Posted by me4yankees
Independence Air started and ended.
*sigh* My kids, my husband and I all loved Independence Air. $78 r/t per person **INCLUDING ALL TAXES** IND-IAD. Holy smokes, that was one helluva deal.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 1:01 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by B1
And they were from ashes of Canada 2000 which was from Royal Airlines.
Just to fill in the detail on this one, Air 2000 Canada was an offshoot of Air 2000 UK, a well-established holiday airline in the UK. There were objections to the name and so within a few months, in May 1989, it was rebranded as Canada 3000. The liveries initially looked identical. The UK shareholding was later sold to Canadians and then in January 2001 they bought out Royal Airlines. Probably paying too much for the acquisition they became strapped for cash. Suspending operations on 9/11 was the last straw, Canada 3000 never restarted. The news of the failure was of course lost in the media at the time.

Royal started business in 1993 and was merged into Canada 3000 8 years later.

Crown did indeed have just one DC8-50, from October 1988 to February 1990, when they swapped this for a long-fuselage DC8-61, but they went out of business a month later.

There is a long tradition of Canadian charter airlines having connections in the UK, which continues to this day, as their peak season is in the winter taking the snowbirds down to the caribbean etc. The UK operators in comparison have their peak in the summer. There are thus a number of aircraft leased back and forward between the two locations each season, often the same aircraft being involved for years on end. 9/11 came just at the end of the Canadian low season when they would have cash reserves at minimum.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 5:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue-US Air Dividned Miles-American Airines Advantage
Haiti

Haiti Trans Air went bankrupt in 2001. As did another airlines that flew in that region, also to Haiti was ALM, Antillean Airlines. Airline codes were Haiti-X4 and Anitllean-LM. Air Aruba went bankrupt right about this same time, code FQ.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 2:23 pm

Orbi Georgian Airlines (Republic of Georgia). Many "Baby-Flots" have since died
Old Sep 17, 2007, 2:31 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Swissair

And EU Jet in The UK
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Compass Mark II in Australia went kaput
Old Sep 19, 2007, 5:02 am

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, ALL, etc.
Spain's Air Madrid in 2006.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM
There were several airlines that went out of business in 2001 immediately after 9/11. Ansett Australia was one and Canada 3000 was another. It wasn't that they were in particular difficulties but any airline business that needed to refinance long-term loans in the normal manner in the weeks after 9/11 found that nobody in the financial business would touch them.

Iraqi Airways ceased operations at the time of the first Gulf War in 1991 and never got going again properly. Their mostly-Boeing fleet was dispersed to safety in various places round the Middle East at that time and much of it is still derelict in the weeds (probably in the sand actually) in places like Amman or Tunis unused 16 years later. They did acquire some more aircraft around 2003 but never restarted services seriously. In more recent times there have been a few services under their brand started yet again using chartered aircraft.

Ansett Australia was up sh*t creek way before 9/11, infact, if I remember correctly it was on 12 November 2001 (in Australia, 11 September in US) that the airline announced it had been grounded. It was a shame the awful events happening that day overshadowed the demise of this great airline.

And wasnt Compass Mark II an airline of the 90s after the failed Compass Airlines went under.. I think perhaps you are referring to Ansett Mark II in the 2000s???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.